Playing Call of Duty Black Ops makes me sick, literally!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by The.316, Dec 6, 2010.

1. The.316 macrumors 65816

The.316

I love to play video games, and Ive been playing them for years, mostly PS3 the past few years. I have played a lot of FPSs, sports, etc. I play NHL 11, God of War 3 the most, and before the new COD release, I played Modern Warfare 2. Now I play the new Black Ops game, and I get nauseous, to the point where it gives me that feeling that I want to vomid. Anyone know why, or have experienced this before? I have a 46" LED tv, and I sit about 3 feet from it, so I thought maybe it was the distance, but its only with the new COD game. I play NHL 11 the most, and with all the movement going on there, I get no issues whatsoever, only with COD. Anyone?

2. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

*cough*

3. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

4. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Are you subject to epileptic seizures??

Even if not, it could the frequency of the flashes that is triggering light-induced upset??

5. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Three feet from the screen? You might want to distance yourself more.... Say 8 feet.

6. heehee macrumors 68020

heehee

I can't play first person type games, I get "motion sickness". I'm fine with sports, Gran Turismo games though.

7. tunerX Suspended

tunerX

You need to be close for an FPS.

8. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Not that close.

9. hcuar macrumors 65816

hcuar

I play on my PC (25" lcd) and it makes me sick too. I don't get sick with LFD or LFD2. I never got sick in WoW either.

For some reason CoDBO makes me sick. :rolleyes:

10. tunerX Suspended

tunerX

I prefer to be 4 feet away, same size screen as the OP. I don't have a need to be 3 feet away but hey, he might.

11. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

3' away from a 46" TV is too close when viewing anything, game or not.

12. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

He may be getting nauseous because hes burning out his retinas :p

13. tunerX Suspended

tunerX

Maybe if it were a laser TV. How far away do you sit from your laptop screen?

Size of the screen doesn't have an impact on eye health. Otherwise there would be warnings on the screens staying stay back this far. And you probably would not be able to buy TVs anymore because of burned retinas.

14. mcx macrumors newbie

Long time I used a 42" lcd tv and I was really brain****ed after playing a longer time.
    Imo are 3 enough. Not the best but some scientist say that it isnt dangerous to sit close on the screen you only ll be tired earlier than sitting more far away.

15. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

It was a joke buddy. :p

I do know that you can get headache from being too close to a screen because your eyes go all unfocused, so that could be a factor here.

16. tunerX Suspended

tunerX

Eye fatigue can definitely cause queasiness. Won't argue there. I guess if OP is sitting 3 feet away and playing for hours on end. I only play a couple matches on COD.

17. rnelan7 macrumors 6502

rnelan7

18. R94N macrumors 68020

R94N

Make sure you play further away from the TV than that if you can, of course if there isn't the space in the room you're playing in that won't work, but still...

Also, turn the lights on! Make sure there is some background light whilst you're playing. That might help with eye strain as well the dizzyness/sickness you mention. Although it's sometimes a better experience playing with all the lights off for ages probably doesn't do the best for your eyes or sickness/health/whatever you call it :p

19. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

1. Definitely sit further away. 3 feet is too close.

2. Anti-alaising has long been known to cause motion sickness in games. This was first made known with the infamous "Goldeneye Syndrome" when Goldeneye for N64 was released. This mostly happens in FPS where everything bounces around so fast.

20. phas3 macrumors 65816

sorry but playing any game on a 46" L:ED tv sitting 3 feet away from it is going to cause issues. Plus you're not getting the full potential of a big screen like that. I suppose you see the pixelation being that close.

I know I have to sit 7 feet or more to actually enjoy watching tv I have a 46" LED too.

If you're going to sit that close to a tv might as well get yourself a 19"

21. Gromet macrumors regular

Gromet

WOW, your sitting WAY to close to your TV. There is no way your even getting a good picture being so close...

I have a 73" that I sit about 8 to ten feet away from while playing COD (Depends on which couch I am sitting on). I have a 42" as well site about 7 feet away from it while playing COD on it.

Even the 50" on the wall in my bedroom we lay about 20 FT away while laying in bed at night...

I would say you should try sitting back, enjoying a better picture experience and see if that help not make you sick.

-Gromet

22. wntrdove macrumors newbie

Not that uncommon. They even have a term for it – simulator sickness.

If memory serves, it's caused from the difference between what your processing visually and what you're actually doing physically that causes it the problem (your brain thinks you should be walking around but you're not).

I suffer from it too. Only with FPS games. Any game I can switch into a 3rd person view I'm okay with.

Everyone here is right... moving away from the screen so that your peripheral vision can see the edges of the TV and the wall around it might help. It doesn't work for me but YMMV.

23. The.316 thread starter macrumors 65816

The.316

Ive always sat close to my tv. I feel like the further I am, the less I am "into" the game. Maybe its because I dont have the greatest of eye sights (going to get glasses/contacts for the time being, Lasik later on). The thing is, it only happens with this game, and about 10 minutes after I start playing (I dont play COD for hours at a time, campaign only). I can play NHL 11 online for 2 hours, and I feel fine, and I would think that that game is worse, because of the players moving all over the screen. It doesnt happen either when I play Gran Turismo 5, or any other constant movement games. Ill see what happens once I get the glasses, and I am able to sit a little further back. I will also turn on the LED lights (from ikea) I have on the sides of the tv. Maybe with some more light, I wont get as sick.