Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cammykool

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 24, 2011
Anaheim, California
i have a Powerbook G4 15' 1.33 with 1.5gb of ram and 10.5.8 it seems like everyone else is using youview or programs of the sort because youtube is so sluggish. But as the linked video shows HTML5 video runs smooth as butter on my G4.. What makes mine different and why are they plying so well? by no means am i complaining but i am curious.

Thanks!

http://cammykool.com/stuffs/ytppc.mp4

Last edited:

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
i have a Powerbook G4 15' 1.33 with 1.5gb of ram and 10.5.8 it seems like everyone else is using youview or programs of the sort because youtube is so sluggish. But as the linked video shows HTML5 video runs smooth as butter on my G4.. What makes mine different and why are they plying so well? by no means am i complaining but i am curious.

Thanks!

I think maybe your 1.33 PB is the threshold for decent HTML5 playback - I watched the same Cranberries video on my 12" 1.33 in TFF and it stuttered terribly - however my 15" 1.25 PB played it much better with the occasional frame drop. If I don't use the HTML5 player all is good.
The difference between my two PBs is the 1.25 has the Radeon 9600 graphics card and the 12" has the GeForce 5200.

Most people say the graphics card makes no difference to video playback but on my machines I've found it does.

By the way, your video file was a whopping 20Mbps 1080p mp4...my G5 fans blew like a hurricane playing it :)

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011

Thanks!

What version of TenFourFox are you using?

Note as well that HTML5 is somewhat of a different beast than Flash, which is what many YouTube videos still use.

Kaiser (the man who makes T4Fx) has made it a point to optimize T4Fx for HTML5.

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
I think maybe your 1.33 PB is the threshold for decent HTML5 playback - I watched the same Cranberries video on my 12" 1.33 in TFF and it stuttered terribly - however my 15" 1.25 PB played it much better with the occasional frame drop. If I don't use the HTML5 player all is good.
The difference between my two PBs is the 1.25 has the Radeon 9600 graphics card and the 12" has the GeForce 5200.

Most people say the graphics card makes no difference to video playback but on my machines I've found it does.

By the way, your video file was a whopping 20Mbps 1080p mp4...my G5 fans blew like a hurricane playing it :)

I found that upgrading my home G5 to a GEForce 6800 Ultra(from the stock FX5200) made a world of difference both in playing HTML5 videos on Youtube and on playing other files in VLC.

cammykool

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 24, 2011
Anaheim, California

Sorry i recorded it with my LG G3. i just tried playing it on my PB. it wasnt having it :p im on TFF 31.7.0 and i have a ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 for my GPU. videos play decently well with flash under safari too oddly enough. it plays them alomost better then my Surface Pro 1 as long as i keep it <480p

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
I found that upgrading my home G5 to a GEForce 6800 Ultra(from the stock FX5200) made a world of difference both in playing HTML5 videos on Youtube and on playing other files in VLC.

I'm glad someone agrees :) I felt a small drop when I went from a Rad 9600 to a FX5200 but it was a necessity as I wanted to use my 23" Cinema screen and the 9600 was the model without an ADC port.

The difference between Radeon & GeForce cards on my Powerbooks is even more obvious.

----------

im on TFF 31.7.0 and i have a ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 for my GPU.

You're right, that 9700 will make a world of difference.

I've just found using Safari 4 under Tiger with Flash 9 is pretty efficient for Youtube:

https://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=21316097#post21316097

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
I'm glad someone agrees :) I felt a small drop when I went from a Rad 9600 to a FX5200 but it was a necessity as I wanted to use my 23" Cinema screen and the 9600 was the model without an ADC port.

The difference between Radeon & GeForce cards on my Powerbooks is even more obvious.

I've found my DLSD Powerbooks with the 9700 do great also. My AlBooks are limited to a couple of DLSDs and a couple of early '05 12" models, so don't have any direct comparison.

I know my last generation TiBooks(which have Radeon 9000s-32mb of VRAM in the 867 and 64mb in the 1ghz ones) really struggle with Youtube, although there are enough other bottlenecks in those systems that I'm not sure I can entirely blame it on the graphics.

Some of the PCI Rage 128s in B&W G3s had a hardware DVD decoder-I've noticed that this makes a BIG difference in DVD playback.

Cancelled
Apr 19, 2014
Sorry i recorded it with my LG G3. i just tried playing it on my PB. it wasnt having it :p im on TFF 31.7.0 and i have a ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 for my GPU. videos play decently well with flash under safari too oddly enough. it plays them alomost better then my Surface Pro 1 as long as i keep it <480p

I'm not surprised it works well. That's a very good GPU.

cammykool

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 24, 2011
Anaheim, California
i feel like i got a good deal. trading it for a HP TouchSmart with a first gen c2d and a gig of ram it had some weird issues when i got it (it wouldnt run off the battery even though the battery was charging and good a leo install fixed that) and a charger with frayed wires. its a clean Powerbook with a few dents near the charger port and it looks like something peeled off under the keyboard showing some bare medal. but its a clean machine!

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA

Thanks!

YouView (now TFF QTE since the YouTube API change) is a necessity to get smooth 480p video playback on my iBook G4 1.33. Even on my late 2008 MacBook Air I preferred YouView over 720p HTML5 videos in Firefox just to decrease CPU/GPU usage and avoid the occasional frame drops here and there.

cammykool

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 24, 2011
Anaheim, California
YouView (now TFF QTE since the YouTube API change) is a necessity to get smooth 480p video playback on my iBook G4 1.33. Even on my late 2008 MacBook Air I preferred YouView over 720p HTML5 videos in Firefox just to decrease CPU/GPU usage and avoid the occasional frame drops here and there.

i could never figure out how to get that to work as i couldnt get the video to open in quicktime as the option wasnt there

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
i could never figure out how to get that to work as i couldnt get the video to open in quicktime as the option wasnt there

These three options should appear at the bottom of your right-click menu on the YouTube video page after you install QuickTime Enabler and restart.

Attachments

• QTE-Options.png
    QTE-Options.png
    44.9 KB · Views: 148

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
These three options should appear at the bottom of your right-click menu on the YouTube video page after you install QuickTime Enabler and restart.

Same here, TFF & QTE has never worked (10.5.8, QT 7.7) - TFF is always latest version but I only see the HTML5 menu:

Attachments

• menu.jpg
    menu.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 288

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Try reinstalling it. I just installed it on my 15" PowerBook G4 1.67 running Leopard and the latest version of TenFourFox, and the menu options show up just fine.

Tried reinstalling twice - first in TFF, then again downloading the .xpi in Safari then dragging into TFF - still not working.
Maybe it's a G5 thing? I'll try again later on a Powerbook - although in the past, that didn't work either. There's always the possibility QTE likes a particular combination of Quicktime & Perian?

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Cracked it!
The problem was the TFF config file (prefs.js) - mine has been heavily modified with all the speed hacks from the forum, when I moved it, TFF builds a fresh one and the QTE menus now appears.
Downside is, about 90% of clips Quicktime then fails to open.

I'll stick with Webkit+CTP for video on Leopard and Safari 4 on Tiger.
At least I know the problem now :)

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
I've actually been doing pretty well the past couple of days playing YT videos directly in TFF. I have no special plug-ins(other than ABP), although have done Eriks TFF optimization one of the computers.

I've been using two different systems-a factory dual 1ghz Quicksilver and a Digital Audio G4. Both have 1.5gb of RAM. The QS has a Radeon 9600XT driving a ADC HD Cinema(1920x1200) plus a generic Dell 17"(1280x1024). The DA has the Sonnet dual 1.8 and is using a GEForce 4Ti(no CI support) with a single 17" ADC studio display(without looking, I think it's also 1280x1024). I get an occasional dropped frame or hesitation, but performance is otherwise good at standard def. on both computers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.