Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cox Orange

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2010
Cracked it!
The problem was the TFF config file (prefs.js) - mine has been heavily modified with all the speed hacks from the forum, when I moved it, TFF builds a fresh one and the QTE menus now appears.
Downside is, about 90% of clips Quicktime then fails to open.

I'll stick with Webkit+CTP for video on Leopard and Safari 4 on Tiger.
At least I know the problem now :)
What does CTP stand for?

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
I've been playing around with YT this evening on one of my Cubes. This is my bare bones basic, 450mhz model. It does have 1.5gb of RAM and a Radeon 7500 driving a 22" ADC Cinema. I haven't(yet) installed Leopard, but it runs Tiger fairly well.

In any case, it's connected directly to my router via wired ethernet. In TFF, Youtube is actually useable-if not totally pleasant. I've found that the key is to let the video load for a minute or two before trying to play. Otherwise, it stutters badly(on the video, not usually the audio). Once loaded-i.e. if replaying a video, it's about 95% okay.

I wanted to play around with my Sawtooth also, but booted it up to find 96mb of RAM in it :rolleyes: . I think that the last time I booted it up, I was using it to sort RAM sticks, hence the collection of random small stick in it(it has 3x62).

I need to order some more SDRAM-I need some 512mb for several computers, and some 256s for my B&Ws, beige G3s, and Yikes!. Funnily enough, PC-133 is usually cheaper than PC-100-that's fine with me since having to stock one RAM speed makes life a lot easier.

coconutshrimp

macrumors newbie
May 28, 2015
Youtube plays fine on my G4 mac mini 1.25 (overclocked to 1.5) with 1 gig of RAM running 10.5.8. I had to offload adblocking to a network server and spoof an ipad UA to get the mobile site, but its smooth on the latest leopard webkit.

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
I've been playing around with YT this evening on one of my Cubes. This is my bare bones basic, 450mhz model. It does have 1.5gb of RAM and a Radeon 7500 driving a 22" ADC Cinema. I haven't(yet) installed Leopard, but it runs Tiger fairly well.

In any case, it's connected directly to my router via wired ethernet. In TFF, Youtube is actually useable-if not totally pleasant. I've found that the key is to let the video load for a minute or two before trying to play. Otherwise, it stutters badly(on the video, not usually the audio). Once loaded-i.e. if replaying a video, it's about 95% okay.

Every time I read something like this I have to check on my machines again to make sure I haven't been going mad ;)
Just like you said, I made sure the video loads up first and is fully cached, even so my Dual G5 under Leopard still has jerky playback and both processors pushing 70% (as opposed to 30% watching the mp4 in browser on Webkit).
On my 1.33 PB under Tiger, fully cached the video stutters badly and processor is at 100%

I wonder is it remotely possible TFF favours particular hardware set ups as clearly a 450Mhz Cube had considerably less horsepower than later PPC Macs?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.