PlayStation Move motion controller announced, to be priced around $100

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by jaw04005, Mar 10, 2010.

1. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

TOKYO, March 10 /PRNewswire/ -- Sony Computer Entertainment (SCE) today announced that PlayStation®Move motion controller for PlayStation®3 (PS3™) computer entertainment system launches worldwide this fall, offering a motion-based, high-definition gaming experience unlike anything on the market.

Concurrently with its launch, SCE will also release PlayStation®Move sub-controller to be used along with the motion controller for intuitive navigation of in-game characters and objects. The PlayStation Move platform, including the motion controller, sub-controller, and PlayStation®Eye camera*(1), together with a strong lineup of software titles, will deliver an innovative and highly immersive experience on the PS3 system.

The combination of the PS3 system and PlayStation Eye camera detects the precise movement, angle, and absolute position in 3D space of PlayStation Move motion controller, allowing users to intuitively play the game as if they themselves are within the game.

PlayStation Move motion controller delivers unmatched accuracy through its advanced motion sensors, including a three-axis gyroscope, a three-axis accelerometer, and a terrestrial magnetic field sensor, as well as a color-changing sphere that is tracked by PlayStation Eye camera.

Through PlayStation Move system, both fast and subtle motion can be detected, whether the user is swinging a tennis racket, or painting with a brush. With PlayStation Move motion controller, users can provide direct input through action buttons and an analog trigger, while receiving physical feedback from rumble functionality and visual feedback from the sphere's ability to display a variety of different colors. Furthermore, PlayStation Eye camera can capture the player's voice or image, enabling augmented reality experiences.

The newly announced PlayStation Move sub-controller is a one-handed controller, developed to further expand the game play options that PlayStation Move games can offer*(2). PlayStation Move sub-controller features a sleek curved design that pairs with the motion controller and comes with an analog stick and directional buttons that allow users to easily control the game when moving characters or choosing a direction. Like all other

Wireless Controllers for the PS3 system, it comes with a built in lithium-ion rechargeable battery as well as Bluetooth® technology, enabling the controller to transfer the input information wirelessly to the PS3 system without a cable. PlayStation Move motion controller and sub-controller will further broaden the gaming experience on the PS3 system for all genres, from games that use one motion controller to games that use both controllers.

The introduction of PlayStation Move controllers has been well received within the industry and now 36 third party developers and publishers*(3) have decided to support PlayStation Move platform. In fiscal year 2010, SCE Worldwide Studios will also release more than 20 games that are either dedicated to or supported with the PlayStation Move platform.

SCE, with strong support from software developers and publishers, will deploy various measures to enhance the PlayStation Move software title line-up and vigorously promote the PS3 platform.

*(1) Users will need to use the PlayStation Eye camera to enjoy PlayStation Move motion controller on PS3.
    *(2) DUALSHOCK® or SIXAXIS® Wireless Controller can also be used in place of the sub controller.
    *(3) Please refer to the attached list below for detail.

————————

Initial reviews:

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2010/03/sony-announces-the-playstation-move-motion-controller.ars

http://www.engadget.com/2010/03/10/playstation-move-first-hands-on/

Attached Files:

2. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

Important note on the pricing: Ars says some games they played required TWO controllers, not simply the wand plus nunchuk. Ugh.

Looks cool... I guess... wow, Wii HD. Seems symptomatic of this generation as a whole, the whole ME TOO phase. MS with HD-DVD, motion and Avatars, Sony with basically everything online trying to catch up to XBL and now this Wiimote clone. Why is someone going to spend $200+ more to get what the Wii gives them?

The talk is that MS is going to force Natal on everyone, maybe even start including it with the system, will Sony match? Hell, Arcade SKU's are going for $130cdn this weekend at basically every retail chain, seems like MS can afford to chuck in a $50 camera and keep their price point. How is this not gonna be Eyetoy v.2.0?

3. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

So realistically as some games require two controllers and assuming you don't already have an eyetoy2, this black dildoesque disco freak controller setup is going to cost $250+ including a proper game (not a minigame demo collection).

Err no thanks. Not worth the price of admission at this stage.

If rumors are true and Natal is released for $50 or bundled with new 360's at Xmas, I can see it fairing a hell of a lot better at retail than PS Move, regardless if it's less responsive.

At Sony's price point we are going to need half a dozen AAA titles to justify itself, if ever.

I'm passing at this stage.

Edit... Oh and the Sub Controller (nunchuk) is not included in any of the bundles. So you can add another $40-50....

4. takao macrumors 68040

takao

100 bucks ? and not including "subcontroller" ? and all aside the glowing thing looks ridiculous...
    and not to speak of the "we rip off the wiimote and get away with" attitude it has

i just hope this will as succesfull as eye toy itself ...

5. Miharu macrumors 6502

Miharu

That thing looks terrible! At least the Wiimote looks subtle.

6. Taustin Powers macrumors regular

Looks pretty good to me. Like the Wii, but better. :confused:

If I was into "waggle", I would probably look forward to this. Then again, if I was into that, I would probably own a Wii already...

We'll see how it goes for Sony. This has more appeal to me than Natal, but I'm still planning on passing.

7. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I'm definitely more for this than Natal, but what. Nunchuck much?
    The whole thing about the Wii isn't the controls though. It's the price and software. Casuals love the cheap, ten-a-penny party games and the hardcores love their Mario, Zelda, Metroid et al.

I hope they bundle this with the PS3. £250+all this would be an awful lot of money for a 4 year old console.

8. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

LOL. Just re-read this. Come on who other than the nimble bendy fingered yoga freak Dhalism from StreetFighter has the ability to cup a ps3 dual shock controller in one hand and operate the d-pad with any kind of fluid precision.

So 'can also be used' means 'should probably not be used'......

[​IMG]

9. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Don't they already have in place bundles for this thing?

*PS3 + Move + Eye Toy 2 + Move Game = $350
    *Move + Eye Toy 2 + Move Game = ?

It would be rather stupid not to bundle the eyetoy 2 and Move together so I think Sony will at the $100 price but only the move alone...no. I'm still uncertain about all this motion talk and Natal looks out right glitchy so my interest level in that project is at zero.

I'm not particularly fond of the motion control stuff but that brawler they showed using the wand looked exceptionally good...also SOCOM 4 bitches!!:D

I won't play SOCOM 4 with this controller though...I'll try it out but the DS3 is where I'll go for my multiplayer SOCOM fun.

Bless

10. peskaa macrumors 68020

peskaa

Meh, waggling.

I have a camera already, so if I wanted this I'd just have to buy sticks - exactly like the Wii. I can imagine pricing being exactly the same as well, so in the UK call it £40-45 for a wand + sub-controller.

Oh, I'm also sceptical of Natal's rumoured $50 price point.

11. jaw04005 thread starter macrumors 601

jaw04005

I wouldn't put it past Microsoft to ship Natal as a loss leader. Hell, they've shipped the 360 for years as one. At this point, it'll never make a substantial amount of money for them.

Sony doesn't have the luxury of riding on the coat tails of Windows and Office.

Attached Files:

12. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

^^ And unlike Microsoft, Sony are still selling a 'loss leader' in your own words.

13. jaw04005 thread starter macrumors 601

jaw04005

No, but Sony hopes to make money someday. The PlayStation business has been a major money maker for them in the past. My point was I don't think Microsoft really cares since the Entertainment and Devices division is so small compared to Office and Windows, and it's never really made money anyway.

Microsoft is not incurring the same risk Sony would be if Sony decided to really push this. So it makes you wonder if Sony is really behind the Move or if it's just an accessory (like the EyeToy and even PlayStation Eye turned out to be).

14. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

While MS may not care (I highly doubt this), their shareholders care quite a bit that they are taking a loss. They have been very vocal in the past about the xbox division running in the red, as well as voicing their displeasure when the xbox group borrow from more profitable groups in order to move forward.

Sony is behind the Move or they wouldn't have spent the time or talent to develop it, there will be 3 different skus

• PS3+move+Eye Toy
    • Move + Eye Toy
    • Move Only

15. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

I'll give you Avatars as a 'me too mii' (and a rather pointless one at that), but HD-DVD was a given seeing as how that's a format MS helped create and the only reason HD-DVD wasn't standard on the 360 is because they wanted to get the console out sooner and cheaper than the PS3. The Natal is sort of me too but I give MS credit for taking it to the next level and not just cloning the Wiimote and nunchuck.

Honestly, I'm most looking forward to Natal and not just for casual games but also for interacting w/the 360 as a home entertainment device w/o needing a remote control of any kind. I wouldn't be surprised to see Natal sold at a loss (hardware loss and software profits is traditionally how it goes) and to come standard w/the next xbox.

Lethal

16. StruckANerve macrumors 6502

Natal - $50 and no peripherals needed = Win
    Playstation Move - $100 + extras = Epic Fail

Natal is going to be amazing.

17. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

You have obviously done no research in to this, troll elsewhere.

18. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

I disagree. HD-DVD was definitely a "me too" move by MS. Just another bullet point to add to their list to offset the value-added advantages PS3 offer(s) (though the price of the PS3 certainly were affected by the 'value').

Natal is a "me too" of Nintendo. Would they honestly be spending millions of dollars on a risky scheme if Nintendo hadn't struck oil with Wii? Kudos to MS for making it different at least.

19. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

You honestly think that MS, one of the companies behind HD-DVD, never, ever planned to add HD-DVD functionality to the 360? It never dawned on them that the 360 could be used to playback HD-DVDs until Sony announced the PS3 was going to have Blu-ray? Really? When Nintendo finally goes HD is that going to be a "me too" move as well?

And that's why it's only a 'sort of me too' IMO because the 360 isn't adding its version of a Wiimote and nunchuck clone. Nintendo stepped away from the traditional controller and MS is taking it one step farther by eliminating the controller.

Lethal

20. Taustin Powers macrumors regular

I just looked at the presentations of the Move "games" a little more, and I have to say I expected a little more originality. (A rail shooter? Really?) They seem more like tech demos than games, and also tech demos that we have all seen before. Hopefully they can do much better than that when this thing launches....

I'm not planning on buying "Move" either way, but I do like my Playstations, and I would like for Sony to be successful enough to make another one at some point. They've suffered enough with the PS3 already.

21. macfan881 macrumors 68020

Fixed :D

22. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Personally the games I've actually enjoyed on the wii were the ones that did not use any Waggle at all (bar wii sports)

The majority for me are gimmicky, ineffective, unresponsive, and damn right annoying.

They continue to insist every gamer is Right Handed, regardless that a simple menu option would resolve a lot of Lefties problems with games where characters hold items in wrong hands or your punches etc.. are opposite. Yes I know I can switch controllers round but that is not as comfortable for me.

In the real world people don't insist I hold a pen in my other hand because they don't support me using it my left.

Oh and with more and more attachments to the remote it's starting to feel like I'm at the gym working out holding the wii remote rather than engaging with whats happening on screen.

SixAxis controls on the PS3 so far have all been gimmicks, and games like LAIR still prove that they work better with the subsequent analogue control patch.

I am just not prepared to gamble another $100+ for 1 MOVE™, another $100+ for a MOVE™substick & MOVE™ (as some games require two MOVE™ controllers) and then plop down $60 on a game that probably would work better with a controller anyway (Socom 4's hand-on seemingly prove that old fashioned controls still work better than the move implementation).

For me motion controls are over rated.

That being said I am at least 'intrigued' by Natal™, not simply for 'motion control' in games, but for the way it allows you to interact including using your voice etc. Milo demo springs to mind. Of course whether it works in proper gaming circumstances is a big ? and whether Lag can be compensated accordingly is another ?

However for me it offers a bigger potential 'over all' and add to the fact that it is geared up for a $50 price tag or bundled with new 360's means its $150 less of a gamble if it ends up gathering dust alongside my Wii......

Sony have already got me to part with $ for Buzz™ controllers (sat in a drawer not being used) and Singstar™ mic's (sat in a drawer not being used)....

I don't need any more crap filling up that drawer. Especially 'expensive' crap.

I love gaming on my PS3, and I'm open to being persuaded to love the MOVE™, but they have their work cut out to part with $...

23. MorphingDragon macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

Seriously, each time I see or hear the words project Natal I think of some Xbox 360 in labour or something.

I dunno, Zero Punctuation explains what I think better.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/779-The-Second-Annual-E3-Hype-Massacre

24. NoSmokingBandit macrumors 68000

NoSmokingBandit

How does that 1/10s lag work? Oh it sucks? Yeah, i thought so.

25. SevenInchScrew macrumors 6502a

SevenInchScrew

You seem quite certain about this, even though you've never used it, nor do you even know what games will be played on it. A small amount of lag might be an issue with these systems if you're trying to play games like Call of Duty, Need 4 Speed or Street Fighter, but I highly doubt those will be popular genres for these types of controls. If all I'm playing is Wii Sports or those types of games, a small amount of lag will hardly be a problem.