Playstation Network compromised credit card

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by JBazz, Jan 29, 2013.

1. JBazz macrumors 6502

I had a bunch of fraudulent charges pop up on my credit card today. Yesterday I sat at the Apple store and added $150 to my PSN account and downloaded 3 games.

Any guesses if this was the transaction that caused my credit card to be compromised? Thankfully I was using my prepaid card, but unfortunately it had about $5000 on it because I have been shopping for a sofa.

The only other thing giving me pause is I did purchase a used Macbook from craigslist. I am really hoping that it is not the source of my compromised card.

2. wywern209 macrumors 65832

wywern209

i would do whatever it is you should do if a card gets compromised. Being prepaid certainly complicates it though. i am unsure of what protections if any prepaid cards are sold with.

3. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

I might be misunderstanding something, but did you conduct financial business from a display computer? If so, not a good move.

Did you wipe and reinstall OSX on your used MacBook?

4. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

1. Not a smart move to add $$ to your PSN account from a display computer. Cookies, history and all are still there.

2. Probably your credit card was just targeted from the numbers they stole. After all, it was a 1M list they stole.

3. Why post here instead of calling your bank/credit institution and have them block/reverse the charges and get a new card + number.

5. JBazz thread starter macrumors 6502

1. I did not use a display computer. I used the Apple store wifi on my Vita.

2. My Vita account was only 6 months old, so I would not have been affected. Now my old PSP account may have.

3. I did call/block, etc. I was wondering exactly how unsafe using the wifi at an Apple store was. I read stories about public wifi spots, but this was my first incident. But again, I did not use the Apple display computer. I used my Vita. I sat at the Apple store because it is by far the fastest wifi connection available to me and I was downloading 3 games.

----------

I did not do a wipe. I did an upgrade to 10.8 from 10.7. There were no disks and I do not know how to do a wipe and fresh install without OSX DVDs.

----------

Actually, being prepaid uncomplicates things. Which is why I use it for internet transactions. It keeps my high limit cards off the internet.

Thanks for the reply though. I did call the bank, call the merchants who got defrauded, etc. I wasnt looking for advice on how to handle that, but wondering about public wifi security and buying a used macbook.

6. itickings macrumors 6502a

itickings

That depends on your definition of complicated. In general credit cards provide better protection, using debit cards is more like losing a wallet filled with cash in comparison (which is quite uncomplicated).

If you use your own device on a public wifi, keep it secured and only use encrypted sites coupled with common sense, it shouldn't be a problem.

Buying and using a used computer without completely wiping it first is way more risky. Really not a good idea.

7. JBazz thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the advice on used computers, but I am still going to completely disagree with your assessment of my prepaid card. Love it, wouldn't give it up for anything. I knew my card had been compromised immediately because I receive instant text messages on the card. I called the credit card company, had it closed, they shipped a new card and refunded the charges all in the 10 minute call. Nothing at all like loosing a wallet (or purse in my case).

My highest limit card regular card is from Capitol One. They have no text message service for each purchase, I have to log on to see pending charges, and even then the pending do not show the full details until they go hard.