PlayStation Vue Among Nearly 500 TV Providers Supporting Single Sign-on in iOS 11 GM

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 9, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

While most of the leaked information from the iOS 11 golden master has hinted at major features coming to the iPhone and Apple Watch, a few smaller tidbits have surfaced online today. One of these is the apparent confirmation that PlayStation Vue will support Apple's Single Sign-On feature once the software update launches to the public later in September. This suggests Single Sign-On will also arrive on the PS Vue Apple TV app for tvOS 11.

[​IMG]

Discovered and shared by Daniel Yount on Twitter, Yount mentioned noticing Single Sign-On support coming to both PS Vue and YouTube, but in our testing it appears that YouTube still requires the user's password to sign into individual apps. It is recognized as a provider in search, however, suggesting full YouTube support for the feature could be coming in iOS 11 as well.

Yesterday, Apple also published a new support document listing all of the TV providers and apps that allow for Single Sign-On, amounting to 471 providers and now including PlayStation Vue. New apps regularly gain support for Single Sign-On, most recently including HBO GO and NBC.

Article Link: PlayStation Vue Among Nearly 500 TV Providers Supporting Single Sign-on in iOS 11 GM

2. mellomike macrumors member

mellomike

This has been in iOS 11 beta for a few weeks now...

3. jmh600cbr macrumors 6502a

jmh600cbr

4. krmay1 macrumors newbie

It seems to be live now regardless of iOS. I am still on iOS 10 and was able to sign in. It is also an option on my Apple TV now as well.

5. vertical smile macrumors 68000

vertical smile

It is also needed in the US!

6. jacjustjac macrumors regular

jacjustjac

7. Max E Verde, Sep 9, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2017

Max E Verde macrumors regular

Max E Verde

I have been able to login to SSO with PS Vue on my iOS 11 devices running public beta 9 as well as my Apple TV which is running tvOS 10 since yesterday.

I am still surprised Optimum is not supporting SSO (least last I checked, now if I want to check I have to log out of PS Vue). They are usually the first to adapt this kind of stuff.

8. redking31591 macrumors 6502

still no DirecTV Now. Maybe they are waiting for their big redesign and update later this year before they roll out support.

9. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

Let's hope so.

10. mrat93 macrumors 65816

mrat93

As far as I know, Plex does not offer a TV service like other TV providers. They have Plex live TV, but you retrieve your own content via Antenna that you plug into your computer.

11. Max E Verde macrumors regular

Max E Verde

There are still some notable channels missing from SSO in addition to providers. Like Turner (TNT/TBS/truTV) and AMC Networks (AMC/IFC/BBC America). At least there will be a lot less logging in for me now, so I am happy.

12. schlitzz macrumors member

schlitzz

13. trip1ex macrumors 68000

Yeah it isn't just providers but apps. Even without SSO you can't use some apps with some providers.

It seemed to me that the satellite companies (not their streaming services) supported more apps than other providers.

And the 500 providers means nothing given the top 5 probably represent 80+% of customers in the US and none of them support SSO

14. pukrnukr macrumors member

2nd that! They gave away free apple tvs when first signing on. You think they would have added support by now.

15. BWhaler macrumors 68020

BWhaler

No comcast.

They are the worst. The absolute worst.

16. LikesToRead macrumors newbie

LikesToRead

Am I the only one upset to see that Charter/Spectrum/Time Warner (whichever name they are using today) is not on the list? I find that so frustrating!

17. Pezboy macrumors newbie

Pezboy

Seriously! This has bugged me incessantly that direct tv now is absent, when basically every other internet tv provider is there.

18. 2010mini macrumors 68040

Not surprised as they consider themselves as a direct competitor of Apple. At one point Apple was in negotiations with Comcast to produce the hardware/software. But later found out Comcast was creating their own while negotiating was going on.

19. vertical smile macrumors 68000

vertical smile

There are many people in the US that agree with you.
    Except this guy:
    I personally think his last sentence is just silly.

I remember the rumor too, although I don't think it was a secret that Comcast was working on their X1 OS.

I think Apple wanted their ATV4 to be an additional option for people to subscribe to Comcast, even if they did not have Comcast available in their location. IIRC, it was rumored that it would have been an app type solution designed by Apple, but with content provided by Comcast.

Negotiations failed due to Comcast not wanting the ATV becoming a competitor for Comcast's X1. As a consumer, I think this sucks, but I understand Comcast's POV. They could potentially lose out on a crap load of rental revenue, all while having to give Apple a cut of their subscription revenue.

20. lenard macrumors 6502

DIRECTV Now is a single sign on provider, the list was in correct. I am using OS 11 on all devices and use DIRECTV Now and have them as my TV PROVIDER...

21. macsba macrumors 6502

Well, Cox Communications isn't listed. Cox is so outdated.

22. avanpelt macrumors 68020

Screenshot showing this, please...

23. Metatron macrumors 6502

Metatron

24. boast macrumors 65816

boast

I just randomly noticed this week DIRECTV Now is available as well.

25. avanpelt macrumors 68020

Perhaps I'm mistaken, but this doesn't seem like single sign on. The message in the dialog box in the above post says that you have to sign into each app individually after selecting DIRECTV Now as your TV provider.