Please add the Apple TV to MR's Buyers Guide

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by hdsalinas, Sep 12, 2011.

1. hdsalinas macrumors 6502

hdsalinas

I want to get an Apple TV. I wanted to know how long has the current model been on sale and the average time it takes to get refreshed but it is not listed in the buyers guide, could you add it? thanks

2. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

I agree with you. Allthough they do have reasons, I can answer some of your questions: The current model has been on sale since last september, so around a year. The first apple tv cam out January 9, 2007 and was refreshed september 1, 2010, so on "average" like 700 days.

3. hdsalinas thread starter macrumors 6502

hdsalinas

I want to get one for Christmas, I hope something new gets announce until then.

Apps that could be controlled from my iPhone would be excellent!

4. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

From the MacRumors FAQ:
    The second generation Apple TV released in 2010 is a different type of product than the original 2007 Apple TV, so the time interval between their releases is not a suitable basis for predicting future updates.
    In other words, Macrumors doesn't think the Apple TV has a meaningful "refresh cycle" and doesn't want to mislead anyone by implying that it does.

5. EssentialParado macrumors 65816

Seems reasonable, but I just went to the Buyer's Guide curious (considering the recent price drops of the AppleTV) and even if only the release dates and related articles were there, it would still be useful information. :)

6. szolr macrumors 6502

There have been a grand total of 2 :apple:TV models. So any estimates provided are likely to be wrong. No fault of macrumors. It's just that the computer and iPod line ups have generally been refreshed with clockwork regularity over the years so good predictions can be made as to when the end of a life cycle's approaching.

By the way... Now isn't a bad time to get one. Unless you want to wait for the theoretical Jobs' baby with 1080p, Siri integration, an A6 chip, Bluetooth 4.0, Thunderbolt, surround sound etc. You'd probably be waiting a long time though. ;)