Please Apple - Allow us to choose our Default Browser - Please

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Piggie, Nov 23, 2010.

1. Piggie macrumors G3

Piggie

Come on.

Even if you only ever use Safari and never have tried things like.

Atomic Brower
    Perfect Browser (my favorite)

Or one of the (wild guess) dozen+ other web browsers out there.

How great is would be. No make that essential that would be to be able to set your default browser in the iPads settings.

Come on Apple. We know Safari if your's but 3rd party browsers offer better features, and you pass them through your app store.

Please don't be like pig headed child who won't budge.

Please allow us users to set our default web browser, so when we click on a link we don't end up in Safari which we don't use.

Thanks.

If you do with to remain obstinate and not allow us this option just to be awkward and no other reason.

Pull in some of the other 3rd party web browser writers and incorporate their great ideas into your Safari one.

I was told years ago (decades ago even) that Apple would be bloody minded, and no matter how good something was they would not use it unless they thought of it 1st.

Please prove this old image wrong.

2. Zanthus macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148a Safari/6533.18.5)

You can its in safari's settings :)

3. Piggie thread starter macrumors G3

Piggie

That's fantastic news.

However, I really need to get some new glasses as I'm dammed if I can find such a setting anywhere :confused:

4. Zcott macrumors 68020

All the other browsers are so desperately ugly that I don't think I could bring myself to use them for more than ten minutes.

5. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I don't like Safari on Mac, but I must say, Safari on iOS is probably the best on that platform.

6. Piggie thread starter macrumors G3

Piggie

Not meaning to be rude, but those sound like two full on Fanboi statements there.

I'm sure some browsers are clunky and ugly and I'm sure some are a lot worse than safari. But every other browser is worse than safari :confused:

How, I mean just how?

If it takes up the same or even less space on screen, gives you a few more options, perhaps full screen if you like, tabs if you like, fast scrolling down the screen if you like.

And yet you both say the browser with the least features and no other benefits to offset it's minus points is still somehow the best.

I am happy to accept some people like some features and other people others. But to make blanket statements like that does come across rather silly.

7. Zcott macrumors 68020

Safari does everything I need it to with the simplest of interfaces. I don't need to change user agent or have private mode. Safari just works for me.

8. okrelayer macrumors 6502a

try iCab. it has the elegance of Safari but with extra features. I felt exactly like you, i tried atomic and it had atomically horrendous UI. iCab changes all of that!

9. Fuzz1812 macrumors newbie

It's not perfect, but Atomic does have an option in the settings to "Install Bookmarklet."

If a program opens a link to Safari by default, then you can hit a bookmark in the Safari task bar to open the same link quickly in Atomic.

10. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

How am I being a fanboy? I'm simply saying that I think Safari is best for the iOS platform and I haven't found anything better so far. I also say that Safari for Mac isn't that great in my opinion.

11. hcho3 macrumors 68030

Who makes iPad? Apple
    Which browser apple makes and spend money on marketing? Safari

So, you are asking apple to let us choose our own browser?

Let Santa Jobs help you with that one.

12. leefisher macrumors newbie

There's a Cydia app... Browser Changer which will do what you wish. Of course, your iPad must be jailbroken though

13. saberahul macrumors 68040

I like Safari on the iOS the best... it just feels so much easier - maybe cus I'm used to it. I hate Safari on Windows tho - it uses way too many system resources... the funny thing is that running AutoCad uses approximately 40% less resources than a simple Safari browser window.

14. Macbees macrumors newbie

I've been using Terra for browsing for the last one month... It's stable, fast and it has tabs!! And it's FREE!! Lots of other features as well and it looks like safari. Have a go, I am sure you'll realize that safari is not the best...

Had tried using Atomic.. And it was not so stable.. Updated to the latest update yesterday and it seemed ok so far.

15. Don Kosak macrumors 6502a

Don Kosak

I like iCab personally. As for changing the default browser, I don't see that option in the iPad settings. If it's in there, it's really well hidden.

16. tablo13, Nov 23, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2010

tablo13 macrumors 65816

tablo13

Safari's UI looks more sleek and polished than other browsers IMO. I have used Atomic Browser for private mode and looked at screenshots of other browsers. But I don't like Safari on Windows.

17. Mitchrapp macrumors 6502a

ICab here. And it looks as good as Safari but with options that I like. Safari with no tab browsing is just stupid in my opinion. ICab also has a great download option and a few others I like.

18. tamasvarga67 macrumors regular

+1 for iCab I'm using it for months. Tried Atomic too but the download function of iCab cut it for me. With jailbreak iCab set is as default browser iFile installed and with camera connection kit it does everything I need.

19. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

I'm also an iCab user, and really likes it. It has a few quirks, but the tabs are essential to me.

20. enrvuk macrumors member

Also an iCab user. Safari does the absolute bare minimum and no more.

21. EssentialParado macrumors 65816

Basically, if anyone hasn't yet searched for iCab on the iPad, they're really missing out.

Getting back on topic though, I too would love to be able to change the default browser from Safari. I believe Apple will introduce this soon enough, maybe by 4.5 or 5.0.

I don't see Apple refusing to put in the option eventually, because it makes no sense to do that. I think a lot of people call Apple stubborn for the inability to do certain things in iOS (cut & paste, multitasking, printing, multi-user support, widgets, a universal file repository, changing of the default browser), but I think they forget that all these features need to be designed and programmed—they don't simply exist in nature. I think Apple are simply crossing things out one at a time and making sure they get it right first time.

22. Alfetta159 macrumors newbie

Default Browser, not default search engine...

Zanthus, you say that the default browser setting for the iPhone is a Safari setting.

What exactly is it called? All I can find is a setting for default search engine.

I want any link in any program to open in any browser that I choose.

You know, like in Windows!

23. KaPOWitsCHRIS macrumors 6502

KaPOWitsCHRIS

I just wish there were more browsers like FireFox and even Chrome on the iPad.

24. buddda macrumors newbie

JAILBREAK, my friend

Dude! This is why you JAILBREAK! I have a mod that lets me select Atomic Web as my default browser! Now when I open links in the mail app they go straight to atomic! Total bliss!

25. Piggie thread starter macrumors G3

Piggie

Indeed, I know this is an option, it's just that I don't understand why Apple are so draconian on something so basic.

Ok, some things I understand they don't want people messing with, but just selecting a web browser......? Come on Apple.

It's almost like they want to punish anyone who dare not use Safari.

It's like making a Radio, and every time you turn it on, it always plays the Apple channel and you have to retune it to the channel you like.

It's just petty petty.