Please Be More Like a Computer

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Resist, Jan 8, 2011.

1. Resist macrumors 68030

I really like my new iPad but, sure wish it was more like a computer and less like nothing more than a larger iPhone. I can't stand having to sync to transfer audio and video content. Isn't the point of a tablet touch pad device to be a more portable "computer" anyway? All this syncing stuff ruins the experience.

2. ApplesAOranges macrumors 6502

That´s what I´m hoping too, but we´ll see what Apple will do...

3. Nishi100 macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Android 3.0 is a lot more if a desktop experience; however, it still has the simplicity, so you're not just getting a phone experience, but a mix of a phone and a full blown desktop experience (let's hope android gives us advanced "desktop" settings).

Also, on a computer, you have powerful editing tools, like Photoshop, Fireworks, After Effects, Dreamweaver etc. I think Apple will start this off, by the introduction of iMovie for iPad.

Wireless syncing will be coming, which would make it FEEL less like a "hooked" device.

iTunes in the cloud: again, would make it FEEL less like a device dependent on a computer. As you download something, and it automatically sends it to iTunes. You burn a CD to your computer, upload it to iTunes and it'll automatically sync it to your device.

4. Cibbersicks, Jan 8, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2011

Cibbersicks macrumors member

Cibbersicks

Why did you buy one? There is sufficient info around here and elsewhere online outlining that the iPad is not a desktop/laptop computer...
    It's an iOS device, of course it needs syncing. Even a simple glance at the iPad page on Apple's website would have pointed this out.

More to the point, the iPad isn't aimed at 'power users' of laptops/desktops etc who fancy a touchscreen computer. It's aimed at the majority of folk who barely use their powerful laptops to half of their potential, predominantly internet browsing etc. As a web browsing tool IMO the iPad is much better than any laptop or desktop at this.
    I'm not assuming you don't use a desktop/laptop for more memory/power demanding things, but if you stand back and actually look at what you use a computer for, you might find that an iPad is the 'computer for you. You might not, it all depends on the real reasons you need a computer for.

5. smiddlehurst macrumors 65816

Okay, I'm sorry but... How exactly do you want to get content on the device if you don't sync? If you want to get content directly there are dozens of ways to do that including the iTunes app. If you want to drag and drop you're still connecting to a PC. If you want to stream content from your computer there are several very good and very cheap apps that let you do that. So what, exactly, would make you happy here?

6. Shoesy macrumors 6502a

Shoesy

7. Resist thread starter macrumors 68030

I didn't buy it, it was a Christmas gift.

By using various inputs, the same way you would get content on a laptop computer.

The iPad should be a stand alone tablet computer in itself and not require a "real" computer to be able to fully function.

8. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

this reply is so useless. the OP did nothing more than suggesting reasonable improvements to a device and a large number of people share his opinion. if we would always go with this stupid "why did you buy one, the info was out there" attitude then we could never discuss any device after we bought it nor would anything ever improve because we have to like it as it is or never buy it.....:rolleyes:

More to the point: apple doesn't want to give the ipad an open file system so syncing will be the only way to transfer data for the foreseeable future.

Also the iPad is seen by Apple more as a media consumption device and therefore the entire experience is geared toward that.

As long as there is no real competitor out there the overall concept of the iPad will not change (IMHO).

9. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

Most people I think felt the "soon to be released - Next year" Apple iPad was going to be something more OSX based and not the blow up design of an iPod touch that we got.

You only have to Google for images of an iPad and all the mock up designs that creative people thought up are still around.

In so many of them it either shows some OSX or OSX and iOS mixture for the Tablet we thought Apple was going to make.

Or course, now we know all of those guesses were wrong.

Here are some of what many people thought the iPad might be like before the launch:

http://i.bnet.com/blogs/verizon-prepping-the-ipad.jpg

http://www.mikejamesmedia.com/modo_media/modo_wip/ipad_ipen/ipad_02/ipad_contest_mjm.jpg

http://www.mikejamesmedia.com/modo_media/modo_wip/ipad_ipen/ipad_ipen_004b.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4022/4310303099_2e16e87e0b.jpg

http://www.alltouchtablet.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/Apple-iTablet-ipad-big.jpg

http://cdn.erictric.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/apple_tablet_top_5_1.jpg

http://trendland.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/apple-table-ipad-itablet-macbook-touch.jpg

http://cdn.mashable.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/apple-ipad-render-640.jpg

The Images above, showing what many people thought Apple's Tablet was going to be like, with an fully open mind, and without being influenced about what Apple actually did produce. Says a million times more about Apple Enthusiasts expectations and what they were hoping for, than any comment they may make now after the launch.

10. samh macrumors 6502

You are making the assumption that Apple was trying to make the device a certain way and fell short. If they had wanted a tablet that was more like a traditional computer, I'm sure they could have built one that way. Perhaps Apple had this crazy idea that traditional tablet computers have been abysmal failures for years, and perhaps weren't marketing the iPad to people who were looking for a device like you have in mind.

I mean... "Honda really should have made the Accord turbo-charged. Oh, and it should have 3 rows of seating!" Well, that's a different idea entirely than Honda had in mind -- it doesn't mean that kind of vehicle is/isn't a good idea. But just because YOU want it a certain way doesn't mean THEY should have designed and built it that way.

11. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I respect your opinion, but Apple doesn't feel that way
    They chose to design it differently from your expectations

The iPad is not a computer in the sense of being a more portable laptop
    It is a touch screen device that has been designed for a market different from the laptop

There are plenty of Netbooks available that fill the role of a more portable laptop, and many of them can be Hackintoshes

12. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

That's not going to happen. One reason why the iPad was wildly successful is because it was not more like a computer then a large iPhone. Many tablets were released for years prior to the iPad and all were failures, because the OS wasn't geared to the tablet.

Sure apple could extend iOS to be more powerful, but they're not going too, heck, the iPad (like the iPhone) doesn't even have a file system.

The iPad 2, is going to have have a few more features, like front facing camera, possibly a faster processor, or more ram, but no major changes.

Why fix what's not broken.

13. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

May I suggest one other alternative, which may actually be nearer to the real truth about the iPad's OS and the UI design than many people would like to admit.

It's only a possible theory, but I feel it could possibly be right, even though perhaps it may not be nice to hear.

Apple wanted to make a tablet device. They knew that tablets in the past had pretty much been total failures, and it was possible that their tablet could be a failure also.

There is no point investing more time and money than it really needed into something which history told them may flop with the general public. Of course they know loyal fans would buy, but loyal fans are not enough long term.

So, they took the easiest and cheapest, safest option for them as a company that wants to make money and just, as the saying goes, blew up the current iPod Touch / iPhone to a larger physical size, tweaked the UI and built in apps a little and released it, just to see what would happen.

I suppose I think, if they knew it was going to be a hit, they would have designed a brand new and designed for tablet OS / UI for their product, but they did not know that, it was a gamble of a product and they took the easy and simple route.

I cannot blame them, if that's what they did, as it makes sense to play it safe and stick with a known formula.

However.........................

What do they do now?

Are they a bit stuck, and now feel that they can only do tiny tweaks? Do they feel now it's been accepted, that they may risk upsetting users if they change it to much? Do they have any plans to satisfy people who perhaps want more from a Tablet than the basic and simple iOS screen UI?

They could, and this had been suggested before, create an iPad Pro which runs that same apps but with much more flexible front end to allow people who prefer it, have more functionality, and allow others to just have the simple UI we currently have.

I don't know what they are going to do? Unless they are only every going to offer a Tablet to the non techy people and techy people will just have to move away onto other platforms, which seems a bit of a shame.

14. ApplesAOranges, Jan 8, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2011

ApplesAOranges macrumors 6502

15. smiddlehurst macrumors 65816

Eh? No, sorry, you've lost me. Do you mean connecting devices to it, because I'm still struggling to think of examples of methods of getting content to an iPad that you can do on a computer that isn't possible in some way.

16. VTMac macrumors 6502

I don't think so. Not at all. I don't want it to be more computer like. I've got a MBP and MBAir if I want a computer. And no tablet will ever come close to being as good as they are because no tablet is ever going to have an equivalent keyboard.

Exactly what you are describing has been tried unsuccessfully by Microsoft for the better part of the past decade as part of their Slate initiative and it's been one failure after another. Everyone *thinks* they want their tablet to be more computer like until they actually get their hands on it. Then they realize all the stuff they did on their computer doesn't work quite as well on the tablet and that it sucks. Then they complain.

The entire reason the iPad has been a runaway hit and is now being aped by every vendor is that it DIDN'T make it computer like.

I want them to continue to optimize for the large screen finger input experience. I hope the people working on this aren't trying to make it more computer like at all, but are rather continuing to innovate away from the traditional computer. Would I like a better solution to storing files? Sure. Do I think that means the best solution is to ape a computer file sysetm? I hope not. File systems suck. That is why every OS now ships with a mini-search engine. Overtime most people can't find anything on their file systems.

17. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I agree :)

I don't need another laptop computer, I have my MBP
    What I need is exactly what the iPad is

And while it doesn't satisfy a small minority of folks wanting a more computer like experience, I think its popularity over other tablet devices shows Apple knew what they were doing. Sure the Droid pads will do their thing, and everyone that wants them can have them. Choice is good. But I like the experience I get with Apple and the iPad.

18. BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

Theres no doubt that the iPad is chained too much to iTunes for my liking.
    For example, there's literally no way to create, add to, delete or edit photo albums on the device(Saved Photos doesn't count). No option choosing to sort images by name, date etc either.
    I'm sure Jobs is fully aware, but they always take their sweet time in adding what I'm sure they consider to be lesser priority features.

19. BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

I wonder what the concepts were like, before the first iPhone was unveiled? Probably a video iPod with a T9 keypad, lol. :D

20. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

I agree with you fully about the photo's app.

You know what... The way you can pinch to open, pinch to close a group of photo's select one photo and zoom it up as you open your fingers, and even rotate it as you are twisting it. (though it either pops full screen of back small when you let go)
    In all honesty it's really all looks and feels like an eye candy tech demo.

It's really fancy and impressive at showing off the pinch zoom, rotate etc all in real time, but as you say, it does not actually do anything.

It's sort of what would look cool in an in store display for customers to go wow, look, this is cool. But then when they get it home, they realise they can't actually do anything with it.

As you say, you can't sort/arrange photo's at all with it. It's only a viewer and that it.

I agree this app really needs a lot of work doing to add in all the functionality you would expect. Yes, it looks great, but please can we have some meat on the bone now.

21. s15119 macrumors 65816

s15119

Here ya go:

http://www.apple.com/macbookair/

22. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Have you read reports that Apple was working on a tablet first, then Jobs saw the work that was being done and said this would be good for a phone?

If we believe such reports, then the iPhone interface was originally designed for a tablet, but then modified to fit the phone. So by putting it back into a tablet, it only went back to what Apple had orignally envisioned for a tablet. Sure, some things probably did change when the tablet project took a detour through the iPhone, but I doubt the fundamental vision changed much.

No, I don't think they are stuck at all. First of all, iOS does have a file system, and there are ways you can manipulate files in it, even though under the current system, it takes handing off files from one app to another. But ever since I got an app called FileBrowser, I'm not missing having a file system on the iPad. Using this app, I can retrieve any file I need from other computers on the same network, and I can also save files from the iPad back to the network. It's true we don't know whether Apple would ever include this as a feature in the OS itself, but the capability is already there.

Secondly, Lion. Instead of making iOS more desktop like, Apple is making the desktop more iOS like. I do believe Apple has a PLAN. And I think it goes something like, with each generation of iOS, add more desktop like features/capabilities. Meanwhile, with each generation of OSX, add more iOS like features. A few generations down the line, there won't be much distinction between the two at all. And die-hard Windows users like myself, who started using iOS devices because I first of all liked the iPod (original Nano), then I moved on to the touch, and from the touch to the iPad, will find myself moving on to the iOS-fied OSX with little or no learning curve, because it will be just like my iPad. Bye bye Windows! Hello Apple world domination! :D

23. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

There will be little change and the iPad2 will STILL be tied to iTunes. This new device is only an incremental update.:(

24. Eso macrumors 68000

Eso

Just sell it for good money so you can buy the upcoming Xoom. It is much more like a computer with an OS actually designed for tablets.