Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

danmart

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2015
Lancs, UK
Out of curiosity: why is black the most power-hungry color on an LCD? I understand why an LCD display uses more power on a black screen than an OLED - but not why any specific color would suck more juice on the same LCD. Based on my (admittedly limited) understanding of LCD displays, I thought the LED backlight - the source of the screen’s illumination, and the most power-hungry component - is either on or off, regardless of any individual colors across the display. Does the backlight have to work harder on a black screen? Or is it something about how the LCD pixels display black? Just trying to understand the mechanics.
Each pixel is three LEDs, each with an LCD ‘shutter’ that blocks them out when necessary. To make black all three shutters must be at maximum opacity, and that is why it requires the most power. To make white, by comparison, the LCDs would still be on but the shutters would all be off.

Reactions: NJHitmen

iphonnemacf

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2019
Since iOS 13 fixed :)

Even available on iOS devices with LCD. e.g iPhone 7, iPhone 8, iPad Air 2, iPad Pro

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
Each pixel is three LEDs, each with an LCD ‘shutter’ that blocks them out when necessary. To make black all three shutters must be at maximum opacity, and that is why it requires the most power. To make white, by comparison, the LCDs would still be on but the shutters would all be off.
you. teach me more
zvXOXpZ.gif

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.