Please consider making a separate forum for the hackers

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by infosprt, Oct 16, 2007.

1. infosprt macrumors regular

It would be nice to have threads about music and the Internet without having to sort thru all of the hacking posts.

2. Tres macrumors regular

I think this forum would be pretty dead without the hacking posts...

3. onionperson654 macrumors regular

onionperson654

I'd second creating a hacking forum!

While this forum has certainly been useful for hacking my ipod (successfully:)) I could have found the same or better in a dedicated forum and it would be nice to have old discussions around and not buried within the hacking talk. It used to be very lively with other discussions, and I believe it can do so again.

Best of luck to those working on the hacks.

4. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

i turn off the ipod touch forum when using forum spy. it's made macrumors much better to browse. :)

Attached Files:

5. SuperDaddy macrumors member

I respectfully disagree.

There are several topics that i'd like to discuss about my new ipod touch, but im not going to bother right now. Its too easy for threads to get lost or ignored. I am waiting to see if things die down a bit.

I don't see how it would hurt to make a separate forum.

6. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

you obviously werent here before the days of the iphone and mactels.

alot of sound advice is given daily. i love this forum

7. Evangelion macrumors 68040

I support the creation of dedicated forum for touch-hacking.

8. Genghis Khan macrumors 65816

Genghis Khan

I too support it

atm it's an iPod touch hacking subforum, not an iPod touch forum

9. ivi7 macrumors 6502a

ivi7

It would be nice if there was a different forum for hackers since most of the threads posted are about iPod Touches which does get annoying for those who are not interested in them

10. bartelby macrumors Core

11. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Personally I'm really surprised that the hacking threads have lasted this long, must be because they are hacking hardware instead of software (which gets wastelanded rather quick.)

Maybe it'll happen if and when MR ever gets the cease and desist letter from Apple.

12. bartelby macrumors Core

You're not the only one.

They are still hacking the phone's OS to run apps though.

13. Zeromus macrumors member

Zeromus

I second (or third/forth/fifth...?) a separate forum specifically for jailbreak/hacking help. There are lots of double posts about things previously covered, it may also make finding the info you need easier.

14. dcv macrumors G3

May I suggest forums.omgwtfbbqihaxxedandb0rkedmytouch.com instead of MR? :rolleyes:

15. displaced macrumors 65816

displaced

Absolutely. I'm a bit stumped as to why so much hackery has made its way here. Back when OS X first went public with its Intel-ness, there weren't many posts about hacking OS X to run on generic Intel machines -- and the ones that did crop up got locked/Wastelanded.

Isn't there some other more relevant community for people wanting to hack their iPod/iPhone? I don't want to sound like I'm passing judgement on the people who do this stuff because the geek in me finds it quite cool. However, it does seem to be kinda swamping the regular discussions...

16. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

With the level of hand holding members here are giving people -- maybe a hacking/serials/warez forum might finally be called for. :p

17. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

18. kainjow Moderator emeritus

kainjow

Not worth it.

Let's see, hacking the early Intel Macs to run Windows led to BootCamp. Hacking the iPhone for third-party apps led to an SDK release next year.

So, it's mostly temporary.

If you still want it, why not Hackint0sh?

19. annk Administrator

annk

Staff Member

There've been so many suggestions for hacking sub-forums lately that I just want to chime in and agree with dcv and displaced here. I'd rather MR didn't get into this.

20. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

I think there's enough interest to split the touch forums into a hacking forum for the benefit of the hackers and the non-hackers.

There's seems to be some reservations depending on your definition of hacks.

"Hacking", customizing, modifying your iPhone or iPod touch is not illegal. It may or may not void your warranty, but there's no moral high ground to stick to on this matter. It's like opposing a specific forum for people putting their macs into custom cases or installing Windows on the Mac (which was a hack prior to Boot Camp).

Serials, warez, etc... and facilitation of illegal ("against the law") matters are a separate issue and one we don't condone.

arn

21. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

22. dcv macrumors G3

Thank you arn. It's a whole lot easier to read the iPod touch forums now!