Please critique my site but take it easy on me (:

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by SchneiderMan, Oct 17, 2009.

1. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

This would be my first site and i used iWeb to build it, i would very appreciate any criticism, suggestions and pointers you have. I have no knowledge in website design or building might i add, Thank you :D

The site is http://www.Schneidersstudios.com

Edit: Please only click the link if your going to comment. thanks

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

There is a lot going on, a real lot. It still says "Site Coming Soon" <-? Also, the iLounge box seems a little out of place, I'm not sure what it's supposed to be referencing.

3. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Looks interesting. A lot of ads.

Some problems:
    Automatic sound on load = usability fail
    6 minute video of something that can be shown in 15 seconds? Are you serious?

4. SchneiderMan thread starter macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

yes I'm still not finished with the site and i'm still not what I really want to do with it. What is an ilounge box?

So sound doesn't work? Should I delete it? E
    yes as long as i show what I want to show

5. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

It's the InvisibleShield ad, which seems more like a random box for iLounge.

6. SchneiderMan thread starter macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

Ugh yeah I'll just take that off, it didn't do any good anyway.. Anything else?

7. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Unexpected sound typically drives user away.
    At least you don't have a splash screen.

8. SchneiderMan thread starter macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

Yeah I was thinking the sound was not a good addition. Thanks I'll remove it when I get back.. Anything else?

Is your site built only with worpress? It's nice

Edit: i removed the "Welcome" sound and deleted some "ads"
    Also removed the "coming soon" because i think im done with this blog/site already, just added some little stuff here and there..thank you guys.

9. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Yea, my site is on WP and many plugins. Glad you like it. Have a whole list of things I want to change.
    Meant to hire someone to modify and Mac-ify it.
    My site was released ahead of schedule so it's not quite finished.

Anyway,

The way you have your site set up, there doesn't seem to be any way for someone to bookmark an article. Which might also translate to bad for search engines. I would fix it.

Not iPhone friendly but it won't be a factor unless the site hits it big.

The formatting of Engadget feed is broken. Codes are not parsed either.

Like the design, although the ads are overwhelming. I can see that blending the ads in might get you more clicks which might work for some, but not my style.

10. lionheartednyhc macrumors 65816

lionheartednyhc

its way to cluttered. Its like a myspace page. I can't even tell what it is even for.

11. SchneiderMan thread starter macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

Your talking about bookmarking, is that because i am masking the url to not show that .html?
    I have no way of fixing the feed with iWeb's rss feed options, so i cut down on the info a bit, i have removed some ads, is it better now? btw they dont work on clicks and dont generate any money lol..

Its currently just a hobby site
    Thanks again

I hate myspace ):, im also not sure of what i am making of this site so..

12. åidån Guest

New Zealand
    Perhaps a different colour scheme?

I found the orange over black difficult to focus on.

13. Dal123 macrumors 6502a

Dal123

It's nice, I'm getting a horizontal scroll bar which I don't think is neccessary. Being viewed on 17' powerbook.

14. SchneiderMan thread starter macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

hmm i really dont know how to get that fixed?

btw the site looks good on the iphone, not side scroll bar and everything is visible..

15. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

There are no individual articles for bookmarking / external reference

Normally title such as "iBend iPhone & iPod Touch Stand"
    would go to its own article so people can refer to the permalink.

Example
    Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg, Mac User
    http://obamapacman.com/2009/09/facebook-ceo-mark-zuckerberg-mac-user/

Are you building the site by hand or using a blogging software? Blogging software usually create articles I mentioned.

Text not legible (too small) when iPhone vertical even when zoomed into the text section.

16. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

Another blog trying to make money?

Why do people feel the need to ask for a critique on their personal website...when its obviously ad-laden and trying to make a buck.

Im all for money, but you come here for free advice...the two should be mutually exclusive. Especially when its just a personal blog-type site in which money shouldnt even be a consideration.

On the other hand...its a MySpace-like eyesore...I had written a whole lot more but boiled it down to this: its really, really ugly.

17. SchneiderMan thread starter macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

Im not using a blog feature on iWeb so that might be the problem? yes its all done with photoshop. I used a blank page in iWeb and added what i built in photoshop.
    its not really a blog, more like a youtube partner channel site if you know what i mean..

btw SDASHIKI - i can take it you saying it looks like an ugly myspace page but the ads are payed for in advance, so they dont work on pay-per-click or on people who buy so save your "buck ad" comments to yourself please..

Show me one site the does not have some kind of ads. it helps pay the monthly service costs, i dont need to even explain that to you but i am..

18. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Much of the site doesn't load for me. I see the text of the reviews unboxing, but not the images.

19. SchneiderMan thread starter macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

I think i fixed it, thank for the report. it loads fine now for me.
    Tested on Safari with 4.9mbs speed.

Edit: it could be because of the background humm, its acting up again maybe its a problem at mobileme's end.

20. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

Ok, my site:
    http://option8.110mb.com/polaroid/

no ads on there, unless you consider the part where I let users know my services are available...

sure its a free server, but it fit the subject. your site doesnt NEED to be on a pay for bandwith server...but whatever you obviously got far to defensive when I mentioned the ads make the site look terrible...as well as unusable.

"ads paid in advance" how is that any less of an ad?

you wanted a critique, I gave it.

21. clemsonhomerun macrumors newbie

to sum it up

My thoughts....

1. like everyone else said...way way way way toooooo busy.

2. the ads...i had no clue what your site was about until about the 5th time i went to it and noticed that it was just unboxing videos...

3. remove the godaddy junk...

4. remove the counter...

5. seems like another site that's sole purpose is not to provide any service but to make revenue off of people trying to click around your site (on the ads) as they try to figure out what is going on....

22. lindsayanng macrumors 68000

lindsayanng

I think if you made the background white (took the text in the outer background and put it on white) and then made the inside of the website also white background with black text, you will have a MUCH MUCH cleaner and trendier design..

the blue headers ith red text and black background is horrible as far as readability, and just plain doesn't look good..

Make all text black, or really dark grey.. on a white background.. then your outer background will not look so "cluttered"

From there i think you could have a pretty decent start to a site

p.s.... NONE of my websites have adds
    HERE
    HERE
    and HERE

and are you really trying to say that some company contacted you before your site went live and said "Hey.. i'll pay you $60 to run our ad on your site that isn't even up yet AND has an alexa ranking of 6 MILLION?!

23. SchneiderMan thread starter macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

Godaddy junk as in the site verification?

Ok ill remove the counter, 5 is not correct. and again you can click as many times as you want on those ads but i will not make any money.

So what, i have a few ads why is this such a big deal to you all? are the colors driving you crazy? :D

look at my friends site
    http://www.thecreativeone.tv
    and lets not start talking about engadget and gizmodo.

I like your photography site.
    Ive changed the text but im not sure on how ill change the whole background colors and the page color.

And yes a case company did ask if they could advertise on the site and i gave them my stats from Statcounter data i have for the site.. its not $60 a month but its something.. :)

Should i unmask the sites url?

Like i said its just a hobby site i started for fun basically and it took me about an hour to make with little additions here and there..
    Thanks

24. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Despite the amount of "ads" on your friends site. The overall scheme as well as the placement of the ads makes it less intrusive. Having them on both sides seems repetitive. If I miss it on the left, I'm going to miss it on the right.

I highly suggest going to a much simpler design, but that's just me.

25. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

Yikes, I'm blind!

First, there is too much black. If you want the body to be black, make the background/border area (where right now you have the crazy text vomit graphic) a different color. If you want the background/border area to be black, make the body area a different color.

Second, get rid of the crazy text vomit graphic.