Please explain 1.5Gb/s, and make a HD upgrade recommendation

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Paul B, Nov 2, 2009.

1. Paul B macrumors 6502

Sep 13, 2007
    With a 13" MBP on the way, I've caught myself up on the EFI Firmware Update 1.7 issue and decided that instead of risking the bad performance (beachballs) or incompatibility with non-Apple drives, I'm going to stick to the 1.6 firmware and deal with 1.5Gb/s transfer rates.

Question 1: Is 1.5Gb/s limitation enough of a reason to not get an SSD?
    Take the Intel X25-M for example. In benchmark tests its read speed is 254MB/s and its write speed is 101MB/s. The way I understand it, the read speed would be limited by 26% on a 1.5Gb/s (187MB/s) but the write speed would be unaffected, and random read/write speeds also unaffected. Is this correct? It's still significantly faster than a WD Scorpio Blue 500GB for example, which has 84MB/s transfer rates.

Question 2: Should I buy a second-hand Intel X25-M 80GB G1 ($170, used for 6 months)?
    Considering 80GB G2s are going for $289 right now, I'm quite tempted, but I have some concerns:
    1) It's been used for 6 months already. But since it "can support 100GB of new data every day for 5 years at a bare minimum" this isn't a big deal, right?
    2) its ability/inability to run Boot Camp. Some people here had issues with installing Boot Camp on G1 models. Has anyone with a G1 been able to install Windows? This is critical because I need to use Windows for work.
    3) No TRIM. I know OS X doesn't support TRIM yet but I would be doing some work in Windows 7 (involves PostgreSQL databases). Some people say there will be a decrease in performance when the drive fills up, and others say it will "level out" - which is true?

If I shouldn't buy this particular SSD, what alternative SSDs would you recommend me looking into?

Question 3: If I shouldn't get an SSD at all due to the 1.5Gb/s limitation, would my best option be running two internal 500GB Scorpio Blue in a RAID-0 setup?
  2. OldMike macrumors 6502

Mar 3, 2009
    Dallas, TX
    We just got our MBP 13" last week and I love it. It is actually for my wife, but I think I see another MBP in our near future!

We did get hit by the EFI 1.7 issue (the machine came with EFI 1.7, I believe), since I upgraded the 160 GB internal drive to 320 GB. I read through the EFI 1.7 thread here on MacRumors and downloaded the EFI 1.6 Firmware version found in the thread. Worked like a charm.

I was also thinking about getting an SSD. Sometimes, its easy to get caught up in the fervor of cool tech. I started looking through some old orders and gasped when I saw what I was paying for drives years ago - which made me think I should wait a while longer for prices to come down more.

With 4 GB of RAM installed, I am truly impressed by the performance of the little MBP 13". Booting after a shutdown takes less than 30 seconds. Usually shutting down the system is very quick, and sometimes even instantaneous. I can say that for me, I can hold off on the SSD for a little while longer.

I would wait to get your MBP, and play with it for a while, and see what you think. 4 GB, IMO is a must. With 4 GB, there is very little paging to the disk and performance is very nice.

Enjoy your new MBP!!:D
  3. Davidkoh macrumors 65816

Aug 2, 2008

1. You will still see an increase in speed.

2. I would advise you to get the G2 due to the TRIM support.
  4. cluthz macrumors 68040

Jun 15, 2004
    The biggest increase on SSD speeds are on small reads, not the big sequential ones which gives you the highest throughtput.

The 26% physical limit on throughtput is in real life usage less than a few % difference, perhaps even less, unless you only read really big files all the time.
  5. gnasher729 macrumors P6

Nov 25, 2005
    1.5 GBit/sec = 150 MByte/sec.

10 bits = 8 data bits and 2 control bits :(

And of course Giga = billion, Mega = million (shouldn't need to be mentioned, because for transfer rates, nobody ever used that power-of-two nonsense).