iPad Pro Please get AppleCare

Discussion in 'iPad' started by DotCom2, Nov 15, 2015.

1. DotCom2 macrumors 68030

I didn't get AppleCare with my iPad Pro because I wan't sure I was going to keep it but now I just love this thing. So I called to get AppleCare on it and they ran some diagnostics on it over the phone to verify the condition and I purchased the AppleCare right there over the phone. Pretty COOL!
    BUT....
    I just asked him if he knew off hand if I happened to shatter the screen how much would it have cost me if I didn't have applecare and he said $599!
    WHOA!
    If you didn't get Applecare I really suggest you get it. It's only $99 and they can do it over the phone if you don't want to take it into an Apple Store.

2. AbSoluTc macrumors 68040

AbSoluTc

Yeah, I agree. I plan on getting AppleCare as soon as my IPP arrives tomorrow. It's a no brainer for 2 years of warranty and 2 incidents of accidental damage for $49 bucks.

3. JT2002TJ macrumors 6502a

Day 2 I added applecare+ when it wouldn't start without a hard start. All done over the phone.

FYI, the diagnostics tests the display and hardware, so it is the same thing as physically bringing it into the store since they don't cover cosmetic damage, only damage that makes it not functional. So once they know it is functional, they are good.

4. tekchic macrumors 65816

tekchic

I haven't picked up AppleCare+ yet, but I do for my Watch and 6 Plus, since they get a lot of hard use. I was torn on AppleCare+ for iPad... but that $599 I think has me sold.

I skipped AppleCare+ for my 2 yr old iPad Air and it goes everywhere with me, but the Pro is a bit bigger and more unwieldy... I'll probably be buying it this week. Nice to know you can do it over the phone.

5. AliMacs macrumors 6502

i've gotten applecare/+ for all my devices for many years. However, this is one iPad pro i will not buy applecare+ for. It's just so big there's no way for me to drop it. I've had applecare+ for all my iPad devices and the only ones I've ended up dropping was the iPad 3, iPad 4 and iPhone. Other than that it was wasted money.

6. lewisd25 macrumors 6502a

I'll take it into the store so I can use my Discover/Apple Pay 22% cashback deal.

7. Calipad Suspended

Calipad

Thank you I just called and added applecare.

8. Q-Dog macrumors 6502

Q-Dog

Do what works for you.

For us, paying for Applecare on all of the Apple products we've ever owned here at the Q house would have cost at least a couple of thousand dollars. And we've never had a situation where Applecare would have repaired any of the computers or other Apple devices we have owned. Just lucky I guess, but dollar wise we are $$$s ahead by not purchasing Applecare. And if we had to replace an iPad or Iphone tomorrow we would still be ahead dollar wise.

9. DotCom2 thread starter macrumors 68030

Normally I would agree with you, but $599 for a cracked screen is redic and the $99 is well worth it IMHO.

10. Q-Dog macrumors 6502

Q-Dog

We could pay for at least 4 of those cracked screens with the money we have not paid for Applecare over the years. And we have yet to break an iPad screen, so ... uh, still ... no Applecare for us.

11. sfwalter macrumors 68000

sfwalter

Ok I wasn't planning on getting Apple Care + however this thread helped me to change my mind.

12. xPad macrumors regular

Exactly, IYHO (I'm not convinced on the H there, when you're trying to tell people that they must have the same opinion as you).

Insurance is always a gamble. You're playing the odds. It's up to each of us to decide for ourselves what the odds are for us and what's an acceptable risk.

13. skottichan macrumors 6502a

skottichan

I have AC for my phone and MBP, I didn't get it for my iPad 2, and it lasted forever. With that said, with AC+ on my phone, I feel a lot more secure than I did in the past, and when I get my IPP, AC+ will be a day one purchase as well.

14. bounou macrumors 6502

bounou

In Canada AppleCare is the same 99 with 49 fee to replace but the out of warranty cost is 849... So yeah I got AppleCare!

15. KPOM macrumors G5

I'm a bit surprised they kept AppleCare+ at $99 with a $49 deductible for this given that they have increased the price and deductible for the iPhone. I'd bet that they increase the price next year. In the end the math always works in Apple's favor (otherwise they wouldn't sell them), but $99 is nice for peace of mind on a $799-$1079 purchase.

16. garyleecn macrumors 6502a

didnt know they can run diagnostics over the phone now.. so if you shutter the screen, but it's still functional, you can still get AC+?

it's pretty much the same price as screen protector + case, so it's definitely a good buy.

17. HelloMikee macrumors 6502a

HelloMikee

I'm still debating because it's only for a year. But damn 600 to replace a screen? Not good.

18. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

£486. That is ridiculous amount for glass.

Seems AppleCare + is the right option.

19. DotCom2 thread starter macrumors 68030

Actually it's two years. And a good selling feature to your buyer if you plan on selling it before the two years are up.

20. sziehr macrumors 6502a

I am glad you left this here. I had gotten it for the iPad pro i got for a friend. I convinced them they needed it. i did not know the true cost of a screen replacement I definitely made the right call.

21. Atomic Walrus macrumors 6502a

That display panel probably isn't cheap, but I'm inclined to think that the digitizer is also expensive to produce. It has significantly better accuracy/linearity than other touch digitizers and from the history of Wacom's tech I think it's safe to assume that building precise digitizers isn't easy.

Anyway, this is the first time I've agreed with suggesting AppleCare (except for users who know they're prone to accidental damage, will be in a rough environment, etc.). $150 (AC + 1 incident) to be able to swap an accidentally destroyed ~$1000 item is not a bad deal, especially considering how much glass there is to crack.

22. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

I think it's worth it if you keep your device for more than a year

If you upgrade every year not so much

23. Mystro macrumors 6502

Mystro

Your home owners insurance pays for any mishaps.

24. jazz1 macrumors 65816

jazz1

Did they mention the cost of replacement even if you have AppleCare? Just wondering. I did buy it myself.

25. shahin90 macrumors regular

Yes definitely buy it. I can also confirm that Apple care for the iPad Pro will increase in pricing from $100 pretty soon....so, jump on that ASAP