Please help an obsessing soul...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kenmitchell1969, Feb 2, 2009.

1. kenmitchell1969 macrumors newbie

kenmitchell1969

I have a confession to make: I badly want one of the new 17” Unibody MBP’s, but I don’t really need it.

I currently have an original 1.83 Core Duo MacBook that would be going to my wife, so I’m fascinated by the new HD LED-backlight screen, the longer battery life, the expandability of up to 8 GB’s of RAM and the fact that out of the box, it’s set with 4GB and a nice 320GB HD – meaning that I won’t need to buy any accessories for a good while. A laptop that would last me for at least 4-5 years or more.

But there is one issue:

Like I said before, I don’t really *need* the 17’’ model. For what I do, I could get by with a 15” or even a new 13.3" MacBook. On the current laptop, I mainly do:

• Normal web surfing and mail
    • Some light Garageband and Logic Studio creation from time to time – although the new Garageband lessons will be a big thing for me.
    • Parallels/XP stuff

I could do more but the battery sucks on my current MB and the screen is terrible. Charge it up fully and 2.5 hours later, it’s drained again. A new 17” with the intelligent battery would be a HUGE upgrade in that area.

All other big tasks are handled on my 2006 2.66GHz Dual Core Xeon mac pro including:
    • Heavy Logic processing with AU plugins and effects
    • AVCHD uploading/conversion/editing from a new HD camcorder (probably through iMovie ’09)
    • Maintenance of a 178+ GB iTunes Library
    • Usenet/Torrent
    • Streaming of HD content to a PS3 on my Living Room LCD via and 802.11n network

Now I know the new 17” is overkill for what I would do with it, but to further complicate things, I’m considering putting my 2.66 Mac Pro on eBay fairly soon. I’d do this before the new models arrive later in the year; so theoretically, the 17” could serve as my desktop replacement in the interim. But since I have 4 TB of total internal SATA storage on the Mac Pro, the MBP couldn’t handle that without spending additional $$$ on special enclosures and cabling to keep my workflow somewhat the same!

So that’s the deal.

I’m torn between doing the sensible thing and getting a refurbed Aluminum 2.0 or 2.4 13.3” MacBook and just keeping my Mac Pro just as it is

OR

Just throwing caution and my credit to the wind and getting the 17” I really want and trying to find a way to sell my MP and keep my 4TB of data intact…

Am I insane for obsessing over this 17” MBP? Why can’t I seem to shake the desire for this?!? :(

Any suggestions and opinions would be greatly appreciated!

HELP oh wise Macrumors members - you're my only hope...

2. mac jones macrumors 68040

Gee I just love rich people's problems :D

3. nippyjun macrumors 65816

I like to ask myself before making a decision like this "Would it be tax deductible"?

4. GA84 Guest

You are asking if you are insane for obsessing over the 17” MBP?

Now THAT, sir, is crazy talk!
    It is not at all insane. It is perfectly normal.
    As a matter of fact, one would be insane not to obsess over the 17” MBP.
    After all, we are only human ...

Now, admittedly I do not have the unibody 17" but the classic one (at maximum specs), but the 17" MBP is still the mother of all MacBooks. Especially the new, preferably at maximum specs, 17" unibody.

I got my 17" not too long ago, so I won't be buying a unibody until they at least go Quad, but otherwise I wouldn't hesitate for a second before ordering a 17" unibody at maximum specs.

The best of luck with you decision, and Godspeed!

5. kenmitchell1969 thread starter macrumors newbie

kenmitchell1969

Rich? Far from it! That's why I feel so silly fiending for this machine :eek:

6. dissdnt macrumors 65816

dissdnt

7. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

Have you actually gone to a store and played with one?

I was completely obsessed with the 17" PB about 5 years ago, until I went to the Apple Store to play with one. Decided that the 15" gave me a decent sized screen+less awkward to deal with when on the road.

I may be upgrading within the next year to something intel based but my 15" has been great to me this past 4.5 years.

8. kenmitchell1969 thread starter macrumors newbie

kenmitchell1969

GA84, thanks for making me feel like I'm not a total nutcase! I was really beginning to think I was for a minute.

But since you mentioned that you bought classic 17" not too long ago, I've considered that but I wonder do they still have the NVIDIA 8600 card issues?

What's the odds that the NVIDIA 8600GT will die on me if I did the classic 17" refurb? Have you had any display issues with your classic 17" MBP?

Thanks

9. kenmitchell1969 thread starter macrumors newbie

kenmitchell1969

atszyman, I've played with the existing 17" MBP and it was quite nice, but no Apple store here has one of the new 17" models on display yet. I would imagine that the LED screen would be excellent glossy or matte...

10. eldy macrumors 6502

Save your money!

DO NOT BUY the 17" MacBook Pro!

11. GA84 Guest

Given the option, I personally would never choose the classic over the unibody.
    The unibody 17" is way more powerfull.
    I bought mine in june 08 so I didn't have that option.

First of all, I doubt that anyone is able to predict those odds. But given the history, they are likely to be bigger than with any other different GPU.
    So far, I haven't had ANY display issues what so ever. I use Aperture 2 quite frequently and I play HD video on my 52" Full HD tv via my MBP ALL THE TIME.

12. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Umm... On instinct. Buy one from Apple. Love it, cherish it and adore it, while you still have a roof over your head, think about the amount of money you've invested in something you don't really need. Eventually the credit crunch will hit home, then the chances are you'll either return it, or sell it at a huge loss. :eek: Nah, just joking..

I think right now, with the dawn of the recession it'll be better to spend wisely and buy something you'll utilize. Cause there's absolutely no point wasting money in something you'll don't really need...Right? But, if you feel you can afford it, without going into the red, then invest in one as a Luxury item and enjoy it.

13. rogerram macrumors regular

Dear kenmitchell,
    Forget the logic! Buying a computer is a bit like falling in love (!) or supporting a football team! Here in UK I support Derby County (The Rams) & if that was logical, how could I after the hammerin' we got in the Premiership last year.
    If you want it, have it & enjoy now 'cos no-one knows what the future holds e.g. get hit by a truck, discover fatal disease, win the lottery or get offered a great job.
    All the best.

14. amoda macrumors 6502a

Voice of reason:

Look over your finances. Can you afford this? Honestly, it seems quite silly to buy the 17" since you will be buying a Mac Pro in the future.

Can you really afford the 17"+taxes, Mac Pro + taxes, and all the cables/enclosures you mentioned you'd need to use the 17" properly...+taxes?

I'm asking because you yourself said that you're "far away from rich".

What are you going to do with the 17" once you get your Mac Pro? Use it for web surfing? Seems like a complete waste of power/$$$.

Also, if I recall correctly, Logic is music software correct? Which means it utilizes the CPU, and generally doesn't touch the GPU. If that is correct then you have one less reason to buy the 17". While yes, it does have a better processor than the MacBooks it's not necessarily worth spending an extra $1500. It's only temporary anyways and then you can surf the web to your hearts content knowing you can purchase something else with that $1500.

If I were you I'd purchase the Macbook, a spare battery and put the rest of the money in the bank for a rainy day.

Want vs need my friend. Plus, have you played with the new MacBooks? They're sweet!

15. kenmitchell1969 thread starter macrumors newbie

kenmitchell1969

Thanks to you all for your responses. They've been quite helpful and entertaining!

The more I think about it, I've decided to just keep my Mac Pro and wait for SL. In reality, the Neahalem models will invariably cost more and even if I sold mine, I still wouldn't have enough for a new one with comparable RAM and such. So the "getting a new MBP as a desktop replacement" idea is dead.

But...

...my wife has pretty much taken over my old Macbook so I will be getting a new laptop in the near future, its just a matter of the 15 vs the 17.
    Amoda, I have seen the new Macbooks and they are sweet, but the screen is just too small. As you know, the MBP's have a better quality screen with better viewing angles.

Despite the fact that either MBP would be overkill, I'm still very partial to the 17" just for the screen real estate alone. I'm not a traveler so its portability is not an issue as I'll be using it around the house most of the time anyway, but as I am pushing 40 (complete with lower back problems) its not always comfortable to be tethered to a desk to do things. A good laptop will give me the mobility I want, but the 17" gives me the good battery and the screen real estate to make me feel like I'm sitting at my desk! A 15" could work, but in my mind if I'm gonna spend 2499 for the 15" why not get the bigger one for 300 more?

Anyway, thanks again for the opinions. Just waiting for an Apple store to get a display model in so I can play with it and see if I reallly wanna pull the trigger on it or a 15". Yes its a "want" and not a "need", but you only live once...

Now to find some money somewhere ... :eek:

16. mac jones macrumors 68040

I think this new 17 inch is the shizzle.

Big but tight with the new glass screen and very firm case.

I'll most likely get one of these as a home machine.

I've never owned a 17".

Should be interesting.

17. amoda macrumors 6502a

Your welcome Ken, either way you go I'm sure you'll love your new notebook :).

Congratulations on your new purchase! (a little early but yeah)

18. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Really don't get a 17" unless you need it.

NEED ONLY

19. mstout macrumors member

since you're not doing heavy typing/writing, do it! You want it. You know you do. The economy's going to hell in a handbasket. have some fun. you only live once.

20. kenmitchell1969 thread starter macrumors newbie

kenmitchell1969

Oh the temptation... :D

21. apersianboyCOM macrumors 6502

lol the temptation drew me in too! I was going to get the 15" MBP until before MWSF (but before that I first looked at the previous gen MBP and didn't like it's design compared to the new ones). So I waited until MWSF and when I saw it was the updated design like the 15" MBP I just had to get it.
    The only thing that sucks is waiting for delivery... I'm very impatient! :p

22. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Have you tried the new macbook's screen? Personally, I didn't much care much for it either, but IMO it was getter than my friends white previous gen version.

23. kenmitchell1969 thread starter macrumors newbie

kenmitchell1969

Clyde2801, I have checked out the new Macbook's screen and it is vastly better than the original Macbook version I have, but with that said, it still looks poor in certain angles compared to the MBP's.

24. pdxflint macrumors 68020

pdxflint

Since you really, really want the new 17" MBP - pull the trigger and just do it! If... <big caveat here..> you can afford it. :)