Please help convince my brother he's wrong!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by techlover828, Mar 15, 2008.

1. techlover828 macrumors 68020

techlover828

Ok, so I have a MBP, I'm 15 (almost 16) and I would say that I put it to good use through graphics stuff, and making movies. My step-brother has this old gateway and would like a mac so I said cool, crossing over to the good side. So ya, he was going to get a black MB but then I showed him the deal on amazon for a last gen MBP ($1550) He said, oh sweet, I like the MBPs better so I'll just get that. So even though the MBP is way above his needs, I thought it was reasonable for him to get one sense they're the same price. Anyway, he basically just surfs the internet, writes papers, and plays the sims :rolleyes:. So, he suddenly says, hey I want the 2.4GHz one for $1750. I told him, wow, that's ridiculous, you don't even need the 2.2GHz one why would you ever get the 2.4GHz one, he couldn't really give me a good excuse other than that he thought it was better, even though I told/tell him everything about it. Anyway, I can't really convince him to just get the base one so I'm planning on showing him the responses on this thread. So, just tell him your opinion on it (which I'm sure will be "waste of $200").

thanks for your time.

2. McGiord, Mar 15, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2011

McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

With the price difference he could buy a nice set of earphones, an iPhone or an iPod, save it in the bank...whatever...
    ________
    starcraft II replays

3. techlover828 thread starter macrumors 68020

techlover828

so you're implying that it's too much computer for him too, correct?

4. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Personally, I think he should get the one he wants. Are you sure the crux of the problem isn't that he'd end up with a more powerful model than the one you have? ;)

5. techlover828 thread starter macrumors 68020

techlover828

mmm, that's beside the point, he's getting a ridicules machine for a 13 year old.

6. notsofatjames macrumors 6502a

notsofatjames

Dont be so harsh! Let him learn from his own mistakes... or maybe let him gloat from his victories if he makes the right choice. How old is your step brother? If he's like your sort of age, in 5 years time he could have a full time job or in college editing video or something, and glad he's got the extra power. Be better to spend an extra 200$ now than have to spend 2000$ in a few years time when he cant afford it.

Or he could only ever use it for the internet, and think damn I wish i had that 200$ to pay for (insert something thats worth 200$ here).

7. DesignerOnMac macrumors 6502a

DesignerOnMac

1. He will not see any speed difference between the 2.2 GHz and the 2.4 GHz machine.
    2. Use the $200.00 to buy more RAM, always better to have more RAM, especially if he is going to do the SIMs.
    3. RAM is cheap cheap cheap right now!

Those would be my suggestions. Hope these help.

8. yoppie macrumors 6502a

I think you've hit the nail on the head. If he has the money for it and is willing to pay the price because it's worth it to him, what's the problem? We can all talk about would've, could've, should've when it comes to spending money.

9. techlover828 thread starter macrumors 68020

techlover828

he's 13 and has no interest in anything like graphics work or making movies or anything.

idk, why have him waste something for something he doesn't need, sorta looking out for him...

10. notsofatjames macrumors 6502a

notsofatjames

He may not now, but in 5 years he'll be 18, entering the big bad world... when I was 13 i didn't have a clue what I wanted to do. (and it wasn't that long ago!)
    A high spec macbook pro should last him all the way through the rest of school and college if required, but if he gets a macbook, he may find himself needing to upgrade in a few years, when you really cant afford it. If you've got the money now, spend spend spend!!

11. techlover828 thread starter macrumors 68020

techlover828

I'm not saying he should get a macbook, just a lower specced mbp.

12. jamie329 macrumors member

Since most of us are much older than you, and most have been through the whole sibling rivalry stage, it's obvious what's going on here.

You don't want your younger brother to have something better than you. It's an understandable feeling.

But you need to take the high road, and let your brother get what he wants. Just because he has a better machine than you, doesn't make yours any worse than it was the day before he got it. Get what I'm saying?

And then in a couple years when you need a new machine, you'll have a better one than him again.

By all means, tell him for the extra money he could get extra RAM, etc. But don't push it. And this thread certainly makes me think you're pushing it pretty hard.

13. iMpathetic macrumors 68030

iMpathetic

Yeah, I think I agree with you. I just turned 14. I got a 2.2GHz Blackbook, even though I'm used to things like G3s. It should last me for quite a sizable chunk of time.

If he wants to spend $1750, just let him. Don't bother him about it. If he loses it, tough. if he breaks it, tough. Just make sure he understands that.

14. yoppie macrumors 6502a

I understand your point and would generally agree but it's his step-brother's money so if he wants what he perceives to be a better computer then so be it. He's buying an expensive item so $200 isn't something that's going to make or break, might as well get the one he wants. The OP has already tried convincing the young one and he didn't listen so...ain't much this thread gonna do if his heart is set on the more expensive one. I think the older brother is just feeling a little beaten with the possibility of the 13 y.o. carrying around a "better" computer.

15. notsofatjames macrumors 6502a

notsofatjames

thanks... its not very often someone agrees with me.:rolleyes:

As long as you explain your reasoning there's no reason he cant make the decision himself. Sibling rivalry will never die. I bought a new car about a month after my brother did just because his was newer than mine... i needed a new car anyway, but it just made me want to do it more! Now my brother jokes at me when ive got no money because i'm paying for said car.. It'll never end.

16. techlover828 thread starter macrumors 68020

techlover828

I guess you guys are right, but it just seems ridiculously unnecessary, btw, he's only paying $900, so any updates will come out of my dad's money, but that's another whole issue.

17. McGiord, Mar 15, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2011

McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

Assuming his parents allow him to buy whatever he wants, because is his money.
    He will never do whatever you say to him.

He will make his own decision if it's his money.

Try to be on his shoes, and say the new mac is for you, wouldn't you want the latest and greatest?
    I will.

Anyway.
    Try to see the positive side of this, go to the apple store with him and run a couple of tests with your mac and the new ones, show him that there is no difference into what he is going to use it for.

If that doesn't convince him, let him have it, let him buy whatever he wants, later on he may need the money, so he can sell it to anyone else or to you, you sell yours and you have an upgraded mac for a fair price.

BTW: an old Intel or refurbished MacBook will be more than enough for him.

IF YOU REALLY WANT TO TEACH HIM A LESSON: sell yours and buy a MacBook, and have some spare money, take him out to dinner and buy some cool stuff, and put some in your bank account.
    ________
    Ford VN platform picture

18. techlover828 thread starter macrumors 68020

techlover828

Ok, I guess there's some confusion, he doesn't want the new one, he wants the upgraded old one.

Links:
    Old 2.2
    Old 2.4

also we the closest apple stores like 200 miles away, so the whole going to the store think wouldn't work...

19. jamie329 macrumors member

Also remember that the more you pressure him to do what you think is best, the more he will want to do the opposite.

Just relax and be happy that your brother is getting what he wants. Because if the situation were reversed, wouldn't you want him to be happy for you that you got the one you wanted?

20. techlover828 thread starter macrumors 68020

techlover828

you would think that, but he kind of doesn't stick up for himself and if I said, "wow, I'm not going to give you any tips about it or going to give you any software or talking to you!", he'd say "ok, I'll just get a macbook" he's kind of pathetic.

21. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

Perhaps your brother is making a mistake, perhaps not. Unless you plan on looking over his shoulder at every move he makes let me screw up. It's how you grow. His purchase is not effecting you and isn't coming out of your pocket, so let him have some fun.

Also, what's not to say he WON'T get into graphics and gaming later on?

22. iMpathetic macrumors 68030

iMpathetic

Excellent point. I'm normally not though of as a true "designer" or "power user" but I know what I'm doing and may want to get into video production later.

23. dollystereo macrumors 6502a

dollystereo

Why a 13 years old boy needs a laptop??? even a so powerful laptop!!
    Get him an Imac, why more durable and powerful.

24. iMpathetic macrumors 68030

iMpathetic

If they use it constructively, I don't see why not.

I had a laptop when I was thirteen and used it to make money.

25. hookem12387 macrumors 6502

It seems like decent future-proofing, but I do think the money would probably be better spent on aftermarket ram and maybe an external hdd for time machine :shrug: