Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tm0000

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 29, 2014
Please help! I think I permanently deleted a system file by mistake.. I keep getting a message saying "finder quit unexpectedly"

I can't open finder! Can anyone please help me? I don't have a backup.. I was supposed to make a backup today.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
You may have to reinstall Mac OS X on top of your current installation to fix that problem.

simonsi

Contributor
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland
Treat such apps with caution, as here they may delete files you are not aware of or have unintended impact...

Reinstalling the OS should leave your data intact. The method will depend on what MBP and OSX version you have...

tm0000

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 29, 2014
Treat such apps with caution, as here they may delete files you are not aware of or have unintended impact...

Reinstalling the OS should leave your data intact. The method will depend on what MBP and OSX version you have...

I just bought my rMBP a few weeks ago. It has the 2.8 ghz processor.
I have the latest OSX.

Should I reinstall the OS? Won't that erase all of my apps and settings?

Please help.

simonsi

Contributor
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland
http://support.apple.com/kb/PH13871?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

OS X Mavericks: Reinstall OS X
Use the built-in recovery disk to reinstall OS X while keeping your files and user settings intact.

Important: You must be connected to the Internet to reinstall OS X.
Choose Apple menu > Restart. Once your Mac restarts (and the gray screen appears), hold down the Command (⌘) and R keys.
If you’re not connected to the Internet, choose a network from the Wi-Fi menu (in the top-right corner of the screen).
Select Reinstall OS X, then click Continue.
Follow the onscreen instructions. In the pane where you select a disk, select your current OS X disk (in most cases, it’s the only one available).

tm0000

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 29, 2014
Thank you very much, Simonsi! I just reinstalled and it worked.. plus I still have all my apps and original settings.

Thanks again

http://support.apple.com/kb/PH13871?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

OS X Mavericks: Reinstall OS X
Use the built-in recovery disk to reinstall OS X while keeping your files and user settings intact.

Important: You must be connected to the Internet to reinstall OS X.
Choose Apple menu > Restart. Once your Mac restarts (and the gray screen appears), hold down the Command (⌘) and R keys.
If you’re not connected to the Internet, choose a network from the Wi-Fi menu (in the top-right corner of the screen).
Select Reinstall OS X, then click Continue.
Follow the onscreen instructions. In the pane where you select a disk, select your current OS X disk (in most cases, it’s the only one available).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.