Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sufii55

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 10, 2021
Please Help I'm stuck while resetting my Macbook Pro late 2011 to Mac OS Lion, it's showing can't download additional contents needed for Mac OS X, I'm also sharing at the screen I'm stuck so that it'll be easy for U guys to help me out....
IMG_20210512_062737374.jpg

It's the place where I'm stuck, I didn't took Time machine backup as I wasn't having such data to keep, tried Reinstalling Mac OS X it's showing all the time this....
IMG_20210512_014542515.jpg

Disk Utility is showing this....
IMG_20210512_063250400.jpg

Please suggest a Solution without Bootable usb or any other external device(if possible) as I'm new to Mac world....
Please help me out Guys, Thanks a Tonz

bsamcash

macrumors 65816
Jul 31, 2008
San Jose, CA
I notice your wifi signal icon is grayed out. You have to be connected to the internet. Connected to your wifi and you should be good.

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
Is this a previously owned Mac? Guessing you do not have an authorized copy of Lion (ie. it's tied to previous owner's Apple ID).

Believe you will need to order an authorization code, and the you can get the full installer.

ADD: Might want to try internet recovery mode, Cmd-Option-R at power-up.

Last edited:

Sufii55

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 10, 2021
Is this a previously owned Mac? Guessing you do not have an authorized copy of Lion (ie. it's tied to previous owner's Apple ID).

Believe you will need to order an authorization code, and the you can get the full installer.

ADD: Might want to try internet recovery mode, Cmd-Option-R at power-up.
I did tried internet recovery mode unfortunately it too didn't worked,

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
You're probably going to have to download a version of the OS that is "newer than" Lion, and then make a bootable USB installer.

Is the 2011 MBP bootable as it is right now?

If it's not, do you have access to another Mac?

Reactions: Sufii55

iluvmacs99

macrumors 6502a
Apr 9, 2019
Please Help I'm stuck while resetting my Macbook Pro late 2011 to Mac OS Lion, it's showing can't download additional contents needed for Mac OS X, I'm also sharing at the screen I'm stuck so that it'll be easy for U guys to help me out.... View attachment 1773423
It's the place where I'm stuck, I didn't took Time machine backup as I wasn't having such data to keep, tried Reinstalling Mac OS X it's showing all the time this.... View attachment 1773424
Disk Utility is showing this.... View attachment 1773425
Please suggest a Solution without Bootable usb or any other external device(if possible) as I'm new to Mac world....
Please help me out Guys, Thanks a Tonz
1, First clear the PRAM by booting up while holding [Command, Option, P, R] and let it reboot twice.
2, Next, reboot in recovery mode but go with the option to install the latest compatible OS [Option/Alt, Command, R], not the Lion that came with the Mac.

And you should be able to re-install High Sierra, which was the last OS in which this Macbook Pro is compatible with.

You will need to re-enter your WIFI information as well as your ID information due to wiping of PRAM.

Hope this helps.

Sufii55

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 10, 2021
Did you buy this MacBook? Are you the original owner

I brought this from a another preson in 2016

You're probably going to have to download a version of the OS that is "newer than" Lion, and then make a bootable USB installer.

I don't know whether this 2011 MBP is bootable or not as I'm new to Mac's, unfortunately I don't hav access to another Mac as well,

Where did you get the Mac from? How long have you had it?
Have it since 2016

Last edited by a moderator:

Sufii55

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 10, 2021
1, First clear the PRAM by booting up while holding [Command, Option, P, R] and let it reboot twice.
2, Next, reboot in recovery mode but go with the option to install the latest compatible OS [Option/Alt, Command, R], not the Lion that came with the Mac.

And you should be able to re-install High Sierra, which was the last OS in which this Macbook Pro is compatible with.

You will need to re-enter your WIFI information as well as your ID information due to wiping of PRAM.

Hope this helps.
Cleared PRAM, then tried rebooting in recovery mode it then got me to
IMG_20210513_061431653.jpg
I'm not getting from here how can I opt for reinstalling another Mac OS i.e.high Sierra or other,

iluvmacs99

macrumors 6502a
Apr 9, 2019
Cleared PRAM, then tried rebooting in recovery mode it then got me to View attachment 1773931 I'm not getting from here how can I opt for reinstalling another Mac OS i.e.high Sierra or other,

Ok..

Let's do this another way..

When you're in the recovery menu as shown above, I want you to click with your mouse "Utilities". This will drop the menu down and then click on "Terminal".

In Terminal mode,

Type in "date" without the quotes

It should list the current date. Due to the expired certificates for Lion, I want you to change the date of your computer to bypass this.

Then I want you to type in a new date which is Dec 11, 2011

So in terminal mode, type in "EXACTLY" what's below. This will change the date to 2011.

date -u 121111112011 and then press enter

type date again on terminal to confirm you have changed the date to 2011.

After that, I want you to select restart and then during restart press SHIFT-OPTION-COMMAND-R

In the Recovery Menu, you should be able to install Lion on your MacBook Pro now since you have changed the date to bypass the expired certificates. After Lion is installed, you can upgrade your MB Pro all the way to High Sierra.

Try that.

Last edited:

Sufii55

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 10, 2021
Ok..

Let's do this another way..

When you're in the recovery menu as shown above, I want you to click with your mouse "Utilities". This will drop the menu down and then click on "Terminal".

In Terminal mode,

Type in "date" without the quotes

It should list the current date. Due to the expired certificates for Lion, I want you to change the date of your computer to bypass this.

Then I want you to type in a new date which is Dec 11, 2011

So in terminal mode, type in "EXACTLY" what's below. This will change the date to 2011.

date -u 121111112011 and then press enter

type date again on terminal to confirm you have changed the date to 2011.

After that, I want you to select restart and then during restart press SHIFT-OPTION-COMMAND-R

In the Recovery Menu, you should be able to install Lion on your MacBook Pro now since you have changed the date to bypass the expired certificates. After Lion is installed, you can upgrade your MB Pro all the way to High Sierra.

Try that.
I jus finished trying it again same pop-up appeared Can't download required data etc.....

I did brought this MacBook Pro from another person, can that be an issue for this problem??

iluvmacs99

macrumors 6502a
Apr 9, 2019
I jus finished trying it again same pop-up appeared Can't download required data etc.....

I did brought this MacBook Pro from another person, can that be an issue for this problem??
I do not really think that's the case. I suspect it's most likely that your MB Pro has the newest firmware BIOS and it won't allow you to install any OS less than the last one you installed. For example; if your last OS on this Macbook was High Sierra, then you can only re-install High Sierra again. You can go back to terminal mode and do this

date -u 121111112016 and reboot. This should force a High Sierra install on your MB Pro. If this method does not work, then you have to create a USB installer and install a new High Sierra OS.

By the way, do you have a router with an Ethernet port? Just in case WIFI isn't working properly, try connecting an Ethernet cable from your MB Pro to the router and have a direct Internet connection that way. And try again.

Reactions: blueflower

Sufii55

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 10, 2021

Appericiate ur suggestion, Requesting You....
1)Could U please guide me step by step on "how to prepare bootable USB Installer"
2)Which best version of OS Compatible to my Macbook Pro 13inch Late 2011model & a link to download that OS
I'm borrowing my frnds macbook air for this purpose.

Please Guide, Thanks

Sufii55

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 10, 2021
I do not really think that's the case. I suspect it's most likely that your MB Pro has the newest firmware BIOS and it won't allow you to install any OS less than the last one you installed. For example; if your last OS on this Macbook was High Sierra, then you can only re-install High Sierra again. You can go back to terminal mode and do this

date -u 121111112016 and reboot. This should force a High Sierra install on your MB Pro. If this method does not work, then you have to create a USB installer and install a new High Sierra OS.

By the way, do you have a router with an Ethernet port? Just in case WIFI isn't working properly, try connecting an Ethernet cable from your MB Pro to the router and have a direct Internet connection that way. And try again.
Thanks, could U please guide me how to create USB Installer & from where n how to download and install High Serra OS I'm quiet new to Mac OS that's y it seems quiet confusing to me, please Guide me through

iluvmacs99

macrumors 6502a
Apr 9, 2019
Thanks, could U please guide me how to create USB Installer & from where n how to download and install High Serra OS I'm quiet new to Mac OS that's y it seems quiet confusing to me, please Guide me through
Follow this official guide created by Apple.

Sufii55

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 10, 2021

I tried by changing dates too as U suggested but again it came asking for OS Lion, though in terminal it's showing date of 2016

iluvmacs99

macrumors 6502a
Apr 9, 2019
I tried by changing dates too as U suggested but again it came asking for OS Lion, though in terminal it's showing date of 2016
I was assuming that you updated your MacBook Pro OS properly and had the correct firmware installed. But it may seem perhaps that the person who sold you the MacBook Pro did not refurbish the laptop properly to ensure the firmware BIOS matches the OSX install.

Apple installs a new firmware BIOS in each of the succeeding OSX install so that your Macbook Pro has full compatibility with the OS and of course allows you to re-install either newer or older OSX using internet recovery. I suspect that what you are experiencing now is that, somewhere along the upgrade line, someone (before you came into possession on the laptop) wasn't doing the proper Apple approved re-install method and the firmware BIOS was not updated properly. When that happens, you have to re-install the OS through a USB installer which will then first upgrade the MacBook Pro to the latest firmware compatible with the OSX and then install the OS.

Follow the USB installer guide from Apple that I linked to and you should have no problems re-installing the OS properly.

Sufii55

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 10, 2021
Thanks, the link for download is yet to come from U I guess..

I was assuming that you updated your MacBook Pro OS properly and had the correct firmware installed. But it may seem perhaps that the person who sold you the MacBook Pro did not refurbish the laptop properly to ensure the firmware BIOS matches the OSX install.

Apple installs a new firmware BIOS in each of the succeeding OSX install so that your Macbook Pro has full compatibility with the OS and of course allows you to re-install either newer or older OSX using internet recovery. I suspect that what you are experiencing now is that, somewhere along the upgrade line, someone (before you came into possession on the laptop) wasn't doing the proper Apple approved re-install method and the firmware BIOS was not updated properly. When that happens, you have to re-install the OS through a USB installer which will then first upgrade the MacBook Pro to the latest firmware compatible with the OSX and then install the OS.

Follow the USB installer guide from Apple that I linked to and you should have no problems re-installing the OS properly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.