PLEASE - Help me find my STOLEN Laptop!? $$$

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by asdf212, Sep 26, 2010.

1. asdf212 macrumors regular

I know I am not the first, but I recently lost a VERY important MacBook Pro . It was EXTREMELY expensive, and had very important, even private/classified information.

I NEED to find this and will do whatever I possibly can to recover it.

I realize there are not a lot of options out there, but I am willing to pay a company, or pay someone a lot of money who would be able to trace it.

This is a very serious situation, much more than losing your average computer. I REALLY would appreciate any serious help or advice. I have to believe that there is a company or poerson out there I can hire for this.

Any advice would be EXTREMELY appreciated.
    Thanks in advance

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

If it's already gone you're pretty much out of luck. Report it to the police.

3. No1nfoProvided macrumors 6502

+1. Reporting it to the police is pretty much all you can do now without any lojack software previously installed or anything.

4. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

Short of having a lojack on it, you are SOL. Sometimes, its possible to track activity of a laptop via its MAC address, but thats assuming the thief is using it and you've got a friendly URL you can use to snag their current IP. But thats a huge longshot.

Sorry, sucks to be you. :(

5. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

6. Hisdem macrumors 6502a

Hisdem

Perhaps he wants to stalk someone :p

Jokes aside, OP, there is really not much you can do besides reporting it to the police, after all, AFAIK MBP's don't have a GPS antenna in them.

7. firstapple macrumors 6502a

firstapple

If the story is true (classified information, blah blah blah) and it was stolen, I can only imagine that there would have for sure been tracking software installed on it...

8. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

If you have classified data on there - I believe you have some obligation to your employer / dod to notify them about this situation. Or... you weren't supposed to have that data on there, and it's your @$$ now.

9. asdf212 thread starter macrumors regular

I have already notified the proper people. However, I run a small business of my own.

Anyways -- I do have one possible lead - There is an expired craigslist posting that matches the exact description which shows up on google, including cosmetic abbrasions, and a scratch!!

The only problem is I cant actually view it.. Is there a way to view a cached version of this or possibly get access to it?

Thanks again for all the input.

10. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

You can only report it to the police. I hope you encrypted your data well and have a backup.

Just curious, did someone actually steal or, or did you conveniently let it out of your sight?

Again, I'm not trying to offend anyone here (mainly the OP) but I'm just curious :eek:

11. crypticlineage macrumors regular

People who lose classified (if related to govt) information should make use of the government infrastructure. They have better resources for tracking down things. Posting things like this on an internet forum smells fishy.

12. a-m-k macrumors 6502a

a-m-k

I feel for you. My family's' WII was just stolen, the funny part of the whole thing, NO GAMES were taken, the idiots forgot the charger, I actually think that the chargers are dead anyway, so the thief or thieves are SOL. HA HA HA.

BTW, it wasn't a house break-in obviously. I wouldn't be here. (online)

Good luck, though.

13. pintsizemacman macrumors regular

pintsizemacman

14. aeboi macrumors 65816

aeboi

pretty sure they're just reselling what they stole so charger or no charger it wouldn't matter, don't think they stole it to loose weight on Wii fit

15. a-m-k macrumors 6502a

a-m-k

I have a feeling it's going to happen like that, and if it tracked down, there will be two guilty parties involved, the person or people who stole it and the person or people who bought it. Though, I can't figure out how they skipped the box of games sitting there. HA HA HA HA.

The thing didn't work right anyway, so karma will bite them in the the butt. (Keeping it clean for the younger ones.)

16. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

It might have been classified but if it were important, it would've been PGP® Whole Disk Encrypted.

Just sayin, for the future.

17. asdf212 thread starter macrumors regular

Yes..

There is also an expired CL add which fits the description.

18. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

agreed, encrypt your data if its important.

no excuse for unencrypted and non backed up data.

19. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

If you had actual classified information on your personal laptop you should be arrested or at the least have your clearance revoked. I don't think you actually know what you're talking about, because if this was really an issue the first person you should have gone to is whoever in your agency or company is in charge of information security.

If you have not gone to the person who is in charge of recovering such devices in your organization by now, you're not going to get it back. Since you waited so long it's fairly safe to assume you'll face some kind of disciplinary action for not reporting the loss immediately.

20. Creditcard macrumors member

Fake.. like the iPhone post.

Look at the username comon.. adhjkasdhkjd1y41847