Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

samkim4415

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 12, 2016
Hello everyone,

I want to start off by saying that I know the final decision is up to me and it is all preference base...but I would like some feedback and any thoughts in helping me decide finally between the 7 and 7 plus. I have been trying both phones for a week now and its time for me to return it.

Background:
- I have used the 6 plus for the past 2 years and honestly whichever phone I choose I'm probably going to keep it until the next iPhone 8 will come out this upcoming September
- I have large hands lol but I'm cool with either or.
- I use the phones for email, internet browsing, social media, texting...thats pretty much it. Don't game. Don't watch movies...maybe the occasional youtube. Listen to music....
- I use it for the gym

I listed the pros and cons of each:

iPhone 7
PROS
- Lighter weight, can fit into the pocket easier
- One handed usage
- Good enough camera, I take basic photos and don't really use video...only for Instagram (I found myself not really using the 7+ dual camera and portrait mode)
- Its something different...kinda got bored of the 6 plus

CONS
- Smaller battery....I have a mophie mobile battery to use
- Lesser screen quality 720p...I can't tell the difference too much. Its apparent when you put the phones side by side but I've gotten used to the 7 screen quality

iPhone 7 plus
PROS
- Bigger and better screen 1080p....I don't find myself watching videos too much. I am used to the bigger screen
- Better camera....I haven't used the dual camera at all and the portrait mode very rarelyyy
- Better battery...I find myself coming back home after work with 30-40% battery left

CONS
- Its big....its awkward putting it into the pockets....front or back
- Its $130 more....the money isn't a main thing but it would help if I can save
- Bored of the plus size...want to change it up

It seems like I am leaning towards the 7, but I do feel like I am missing out on the plus size phones cuz everywhere I go I see most people have the + iPhones...

If you could leave your thoughts and what you think I should do if you were in my situation. Let me know.

Thanks for reading.

Reactions: iPhonefreak79

New_Mac_Smell

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2016
Shanghai
I wouldn't worry about the screen quality, battery differences, cameras etc.

Just focus on the size. Do you want a bigger or smaller phone? You currently have a 6+, does having a bigger phone ever cause you issues? If not then stick with it, as you'll notice a smaller screen more. Otherwise if you wanted a smaller phone, then get the regular 7.

Just focus on the size and the decision should be easy.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I personally like the Plus. The battery life, 1080 P screen, additional Ram and dual camera are selling points for me.

If you can deal with the shear size of the Plus, it's clearly the better of the two iPhones.

Reactions: DrewDaHilp1

Finchly

macrumors member
Feb 2, 2017
I went through the same thing and decided that the extra battery life didn't mean much in practical terms and I honestly could barely tell the difference between the two screens even when they were side by side, if at all. The dual camera means nothing to me either. It essentially should come down to the size because the Plus to me is impractical. AND it's more expensive.

samkim4415

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 12, 2016
I personally like the Plus. The battery life, 1080 P screen, additional Ram and dual camera are selling points for me.

If you can deal with the shear size of the Plus, it's clearly the better of the two iPhones.
If you are planning to get the ip8, you shouldn't be buying either phone.

How's that for advice?

Thanks for the advice. I actually wouldn't have a phone then if i didn't get a 7 or 7 plus. I sold my 6+ already.

OriginalAppleGuy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2016
Virginia
When I had my 5S I was torn with going to the larger 6S + or stick with regular 6S. I eventually went with the + and am really glad I did. It's nice having the real estate when browsing the web. It's also nice having the extra battery capacity without having to carry something else around.

I definitely understand the desire to change it up some. My wife has the regular 7 and at times when I hold it, I wonder......Perhaps you can consider getting the 7 and if you don't like it, sell it. The Apple plan doesn't have any interest so you don't need to pay cash. An unlocked phone has good resale value.

Reactions: dhc921

Septembersrain

Cancelled
Dec 14, 2013
Well. If you're intending to get the 8, this won't be a long term phone for you right? Perhaps try the regular 7. Save a little money on it?

However I want the 8 and I still got the 7+. For me, I can't really put myself in a position where I keep questioning why I didn't get the best. So a 256GB jet black 7+ it was for me.

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
Thanks for the advice. I actually wouldn't have a phone then if i didn't get a 7 or 7 plus. I sold my 6+ already.

Then at its all up to you.

I say get whatever is cheapest (which would be the 7)...and wait till Sept. The 7 does most things equally well barring the camera of course. Or splurge and get the 7+.

Last edited:

samkim4415

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 12, 2016
Which is ~8 months away? Do you often change phones every couple months?

I plan on re selling the 7/7 plus and get the 8 around September ideally, but we will see. I dont change phones often. If the 8 isn't that good, then I'll keep the 7/7 plus...I always kept the iPhone for 2 years....went from 4 to 5 to 6 plus to now

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
I plan on re selling the 7/7 plus and get the 8 around September ideally, but we will see. I dont change phones often. If the 8 isn't that good, then I'll keep the 7/7 plus...I always kept the iPhone for 2 years....went from 4 to 5 to 6 plus to now

Those of us are on main release cycle kinda get screwed over with iPhone 8 in September. Cause if, like me, you upgrade every two years and you had the 6 Plus, chances are you upgraded this time around. Meaning lots will miss out on the iPhone 8, if they're under a 2 year contract. I'm not by the way, I just can't afford to buy another new phone this year.

samkim4415

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 12, 2016
Those of us are on main release cycle kinda get screwed over with iPhone 8 in September. Cause if, like me, you upgrade every two years and you had the 6 Plus, chances are you upgraded this time around. Meaning lots will miss out on the iPhone 8, if they're under a 2 year contract. I'm not by the way, I just can't afford to buy another new phone this year.

which phone did you upgrade to...if i can ask? How you liking it?

awilliamsny

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2017
I used both for two weeks in January 17. I thought I would like the Plus, wanted to like it but in the end, it felt like carrying a brick. I'll miss the portrait mode and the 2x zoom (otherwise the cameras are identical). Battery life is no problem on the 7, I routinely have 25-30% remaining after 18hours of standby and 6+ hours of usage. For me in the end, the size of the 7 won out. I want to be able to hold, use and carry my phone without too much thought.

noekozz

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2010
212/201
3 years of the same phone design and still can't make up your mind, smh. IMO you should just wait for this year's phone release. Septembers a few months away and you've made it this far.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
3 years of the same phone design and still can't make up your mind, smh. IMO you should just wait for this year's phone release. Septembers a few months away and you've made it this far.
Doesn't really seem like that would work (and to be fair, something like 8 months away is more than "a few months away"):

borgsauce

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2016
Get the regular 7. I went through the same thought process but after switching back and forth between the 7 and 7plusi knew what would sit well in the long run. The Plus is hard to pocket and putting a case on it just makes it even bigger. My iPhone 7 fits perfectly for one hand usage and I get a better grip holding it meaning less likely to drop it unlike the Plus. The additional ram means nothing to me aslong as the regular seems to have well optimized ram management. I made the decision for you now go and return that unwieldy beast of a phone lol

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016

Not quite. And there is nothing wrong with a forum seeking feedback On a decision. Clearly the OP is conscious enough to request assistance on others opinions. And a "Few" is equivalent to two, September is eight months away.

Septembersrain

Cancelled
Dec 14, 2013
Not quite. And there is nothing wrong with a forum seeking feedback On a decision. Clearly the OP is conscious enough to request assistance on others opinions. And a "Few" is equivalent to two, September is eight months away.

That's what we're all here for. Sometimes we act as a sounding board for opinions. I'm luckily usually pretty decisive but not everyone is.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.