Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mstruve

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 21, 2011
Hi, I am looking to get myself set up with a Mini system in the next few days and just have a few questions which I would really appreciate some help with:

1. I will be buying 8GB additonal RAM. Is there any point in buying the 4GB Mini over the 2GB given that I'll be replacing the RAM anyway?

2. Will this monitor be ok? http://tinyurl.com/bnuj82h

3. Will I get a free upgrade to Mountain Lion?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Kebabselector

macrumors 68030
May 25, 2007
Birmingham, UK
1) The 4gb model is slightly faster and has the AMD Radeon HD 6630M video card, so you have to ask yourself is this worth the extra.

*assumes you are not talking about the server version

2) It should be fine, however you'll need a HDMI cable

3) I think they said yes to this question on the WWDC keynote

mstruve

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 21, 2011
Thanks, yeah I'm just after the normal Mini rather than the server version. I will just go with the 2GB version and find some cheap RAM then. I usually use Crucial, will that be ok to find the RAM?

HDMI cable is not a problem.

One other quick question - my iTunes library is all stored on a WD external drive for a Windows PC. Will I need to reformat it etc to be compatible with Mac?

Last edited:

philipma1957

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Howell, New Jersey
Thanks, yeah I'm just after the normal Mini rather than the server version. I will just go with the 2GB version and find some cheap RAM then. I usually use Crucial, will that be ok to find the RAM?

One other quick question - my iTunes library is all stored on a WD external drive for a Windows PC. Will I need to reformat it etc to be compatible with Mac?
crucial ram can work
the itunes answer is most likely you will need to convert the files.

Panther Al

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2011

You are always better off getting as little RAM from Apple that you can, and buying more from another source.

I just finished placing an order for 16Gb for $80 on Newegg this morning, so, its worth looking around for deals.

mstruve

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 21, 2011
Thanks. What are the essential elements of the RAM sticks that I need when shopping around? DDR3? 204 pin? I've only ever bought through Crucial before which pretty much tells you what to buy...

Panther Al

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2011
Thanks. What are the essential elements of the RAM sticks that I need when shopping around? DDR3? 204 pin? I've only ever bought through Crucial before which pretty much tells you what to buy...

What you will be looking for is 204 pin SO-DIMM's - PC-10600 (1333MHz) chips.

Apple says the max is 8GB, but the actuall is 16GB, which to be honest, is probably more than I need, but at 80 bucks, why not?

mstruve

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 21, 2011
What you will be looking for is 204 pin SO-DIMM's - PC-10600 (1333MHz) chips.

Apple says the max is 8GB, but the actuall is 16GB, which to be honest, is probably more than I need, but at 80 bucks, why not?

Great, thanks. I will see what I can find.

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009

Reviews specifically mention Macs, so it should be fine.

Also, any reason why this Mini is so much cheaper than on the Apple Store? - http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B005EMLPR6/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

No. I buy most of my base Macs from Amazon to save $$. If you want a custom mac then you have to go to Apple, but if you just want base models then go with Amazon (or any of the other resellers online). Or go Refurb from Apple.

Edit: I bought my base Mac Mini from Amazon since it was cheaper, I bought my base Macbook Air from a US Electronics retailer since it was cheaper than Apple. The only computer I have bought directly from Apple is my Early 2011 Macbook Pro because I wanted a custom model (with high rez display and SSD).

mstruve

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 21, 2011
Reviews specifically mention Macs, so it should be fine.

No. I buy most of my base Macs from Amazon to save $$. If you want a custom mac then you have to go to Apple, but if you just want base models then go with Amazon (or any of the other resellers online). Or go Refurb from Apple.

Edit: I bought my base Mac Mini from Amazon since it was cheaper, I bought my base Macbook Air from a US Electronics retailer since it was cheaper than Apple. The only computer I have bought directly from Apple is my Early 2011 Macbook Pro because I wanted a custom model (with high rez display and SSD).

Nice one thanks, I have never heard that before. Ordered the base model for the same price a refurbished one would have cost on the Apple Store, together with the 8GB RAM. Thanks for the help!

Planner Dude

macrumors 6502
May 31, 2006
I notice on apple's website tey are saying:

"Configurable to 4GB or 8GB, only at the Apple Online Store."

This seems new to me.

Is this true or is this more like a used car salesman telling you they won't have the car you want in the color you want, if they have it at all, if you don't buy today :)

mstruve

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 21, 2011
yes.

and 1066 ram
1333 ram
1600 ram
and some but few 1866 ram work in a 2011 model mini.
The test results are on the site. for your purpose the crucial you linked at amazon are good.

Nice one, thanks. Hopefully all being delivered tomorrow.

Anyone know of any decent guides for migrating from Windows to Mac? Itunes is the biggest concern but also other programs like torrents etc.

Cheers

Cheffy Dave

macrumors 68030
Check out made for Mac RAM

At OWC, been using it for years,zero problems,super fast!:cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.