Please help! Need help with Wordpress!

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by RiCEADDiCTBOY, Apr 12, 2010.

1. RiCEADDiCTBOY macrumors 6502a

RiCEADDiCTBOY

I am requesting help for my website. I am wanting to put a simple blog where the dark grey area is. I chose as I heard it was recommended. Please help me as I am frustrated with trying to place it in the center of my site as well as keeping the size confined within the dark grey area.

The screenshot of the page I'm trying to utilize

2. macjram macrumors 6502a

macjram

have you set up your wordpress acct? do you know about wordpress themes?

3. RiCEADDiCTBOY thread starter macrumors 6502a

RiCEADDiCTBOY

I just want to input a general code.... no themes per say. just a bare bones blog with that dark grey background and fixed width and height.

4. Ride9650 macrumors 6502

You'll either need to make a theme, or modify/use someone else's in order to get the blog function to work, as the way the wordpress is setup, is that its a site unto itself, you can't just insert wordpress into your own page.

You could fudge things a little bit with an iframe, but again, it would involve setting up a wordpress site with a basic theme.

these pages should help:
    http://codex.wordpress.org/Template_Tags
    http://codex.wordpress.org/Blog_Design_and_Layout

5. RiCEADDiCTBOY thread starter macrumors 6502a

RiCEADDiCTBOY

so what blog site would work best for my purpose? i dont need a blog to be my site, i just need a blog within my site.

6. moderniste macrumors member

Wordpress is good for a lot more than just blogs, you can have regular webpages in there too, and there are some plugins for galleries and other things. Most sites these days use some kind of backend like Wordpress. Joomla is another good one that's easy to use and has a blog option.

If you have Wordpress installed on your server, you may be able to just insert the code for your blog entries into a div, with overflow set to auto.

7. Ride9650 macrumors 6502

As far as i know, no current CMS/Blog system can do what you're asking, you're gonna have to either link to something or link to it through an iframe like I suggested, or make your own theme.

Your site doesn't look that complex, if you really want a blog, you might as well just turn your site into a wordpress theme as there isn't really anything super fancy involved, its really more a matter of just adding some of the template tags I linked to and possibly some page re-structuring.

Now I haven't tried this as I've built my stuff from scratch with the intention of making a theme but this should more or less work

1. Assuming you have wordpress installed, go to wp-content/themes/

2. Add a folder that will hold your theme/site. Move all your files to that folder

3. Rename your blog page to "single.php" and add this to where you want the blog to show up

Code:
    <?php if ( have_posts() ) : while ( have_posts() ) : the_post(); ?>

<?php the_content();?>

<?php endwhile; else: ?>
    <p><?php _e('Sorry, no posts matched your criteria.'); ?></p>
    <?php endif; ?>

4. Activate theme in dashboard.

Again, I haven't tried this, but this should bring up all the posts you make on Wordpress on the blog page.

I almost forgot, you'll have to add this to your stylesheet, of course, replacing the information with your own. Otherwise Wordpress won't be able to see your site.
    Code:
    /*   
    Theme Name: Rose
    Theme URI: the-theme's-homepage
    Description: a-brief-description
    Author: your-name
    Author URI: your-URI
    Template: use-this-to-define-a-parent-theme--optional
    Version: a-number--optional
    General comments/License Statement if any.
    */