Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stoavio

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 8, 2006
It is the DNS (Domain Name Server) information issued by your ISP. Typically there is 1 primary name server (which is always an ip but sometimes like look like ns1.nameserver1.com) and 1 secondary name server in the same format (again either an IP or ns2.nameserver2.com). In my case when I ran cat /etc/resolv.conf it returned

domain hsd1.mi.comcast.net.
nameserver 68.87.77.130
nameserver 68.87.72.130

and as you can see both nameservers it returned were identical so I only entered 1 in my system preferences.

stoavio

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 8, 2006
So it looks like I'm all good to go. Thanks a lot for your help guys. I just checked my ports (I went into the Port Forwarding section and changed the IP that I'm forwarding to now is .30) and checked with Shields Up and sure enough, it works!

*buddied* nsutt22 & jsw

Thanks again.

nsutt22

macrumors regular
May 5, 2005
Hey one quick question for me again... port fowarding it says ext. Port then ____ to _____ would i put like 8080 in both?

nsutt22

macrumors regular
May 5, 2005
Also after i have port fowarding on how would i access that persay computer outside of my local network? the external ip plus :8080?

stoavio

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 8, 2006
nsutt22 said:
Hey one quick question for me again... port fowarding it says ext. Port then ____ to _____ would i put like 8080 in both?

Yes, I think either you type in the port you want to forward or a port range. In the screenshot below you can see I'm able to forward a range of ports.

As for your second question, I'm not entirely sure. Sorry.
portforward.png

kyleaa

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2006
Nameservers, (Domain Name Servers, DNS), take the handy little web address you know, such as apple.com, and tell you what IP matches to that domain. It's like a translator, and keeps you from remembering IP addresses. Also, when IPs of servers change, the DNS entries are updated to point to the new IP. You generally know you have a DNS problem if you can't surf the web, but some applications, such as AIM, can get online.

I dont know if it was covered earlier, but the status page of a linksys router will tell you all of the DNS servers that it got from DHCP, so you don't have to play in terminal.

nsutt22 said:
You lost me on the nameservers? What exactly is that for/do?

kyleaa

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2006
I don't know if they changed it, but 8080 used to be the linksys remote admin port, I would use a different one

nsutt22 said:
Also after i have port fowarding on how would i access that persay computer outside of my local network? the external ip plus :8080?

stoavio

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 8, 2006
kyleaa said:
Nameservers, (Domain Name Servers, DNS), take the handy little web address you know, such as apple.com, and tell you what IP matches to that domain. It's like a translator, and keeps you from remembering IP addresses. Also, when IPs of servers change, the DNS entries are updated to point to the new IP. You generally know you have a DNS problem if you can't surf the web, but some applications, such as AIM, can get online.

I dont know if it was covered earlier, but the status page of a linksys router will tell you all of the DNS servers that it got from DHCP, so you don't have to play in terminal.

Good explanation and cool fact on finding the name servers. I didn't realize that. Also, 8080 is still the remote administration port.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.