Please Help! Stuck in a dilemma! iphone 6 plus or iphone 6s?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by CJJohnson, Oct 12, 2015.

1. CJJohnson macrumors newbie

CJJohnson

All I can say is I love the big iPhone. I like the big screen, and the and absolutely love its battery life! I would get the iPhone 6s Plus in a heartbeat but I can't afford it. I currently have a 5s and I think a jump to the standard size 6s will be a good jump. I know the 6s features 4k video recording, which is cool but it isn't that important to me, Either is the 3D touch option, but he new "s" models do come with the A9 chip and 2gb of ram which supposedly makes a big difference in phone speed and performance. So the question is...
    should I upgrade my 5s to the iPhone 6 plus for the size and battery life? Or should I upgrade to the standard size 6s for the speed and performance.

2. thebro20 macrumors regular

I went from a 5 to the 6s and love the size of the screen. Now when I hold my old 5 it feels like a toy :D I also get great battery life, the plus does have better battery life but I never have an issue going all day and I use my phone quite a bit.

3. BlueDragon22 macrumors 6502

BlueDragon22

Not sure if it's an option for you, but would you consider a 16gb 6s+? That's what I had to do this time around and I've stuck to backing up everything to the cloud and I have more than enough room leftover. On the Verizon monthly payment, it ended up being the same as the 6 plus (64gb).

If it isn't, I would definitely go with the 6s. The more ram and better chip (IMO) always help to improve the experience.

How much reading do you do on your phone? Is a better camera a selling point for you? The OIS on the plus/s+ is definitely noticeable against the 6/6s. The battery is also slightly better on the 6+/6s+ versus the 6/6s models.

Again, I weighed the pros and cons. I sat down and made a list of everything that is important to me and then sorted them into pros and cons. Since the pros outweighed the cons, I went ahead and got the 6s+. I also do a lot of homework and reading on my phone, so the bigger screen definitely helps when staring at a screen for a long time.

4. iphonedude2008 macrumors 65816

iphonedude2008

I have the 6 Plus and my friend has the 6S. I'm getting a plus tonight so I can comment more on that, but I would not go with the 6 Plus simply because of performance and RAM. Safari tabs constantly reload if there is more than 5 (any nay sayers can try this themselves. Open 6 tabs of Macrumors.com and switch between them). Performance can hang at times also. The performance boost of the A9 is incredible. Although you'll miss battery and size, I would definitely go with the 6S

5. iPad Retina macrumors 6502a

iPad Retina

I would chose the 6S, the 6 Plus is terrible on iOS 9, so laggy for it being only 1 generation old, and apple doesn't want to do anything about it. :(

6. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

6S all day long. I would rather have an iPhone 5 than the 6+, it's a shocking device. I owned one for 10 months and then swapped it for a 6S+. The 6S is still a brilliant phone, just stay away from the 6+ whatever you do.

7. JoeyD74 macrumors 6502

You could always wait until you can afford the one you want.

8. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

So another 10+ years of waiting until I can buy that Porsche.:(

9. thatanonymoususer macrumors regular

thatanonymoususer

I'll cast another vote for the 6s. I had the 6+, and it was the first iPhone I ever felt somewhat unsatisfied with. The performance was actually worse on the larger screen 6+ than the 5s in some cases (more lag on the 6+ than on the 5s I had in some games)

10. eyeseeyou macrumors 68000

I think some people or over exaggerating about how terrible the 6+ is although its performance did take a hit with iOS 9

11. thatanonymoususer macrumors regular

thatanonymoususer

I think there was also a problem with some early iPhone 6+'s with the memory in larger memory sizes, so I'd imagine that the performance is probably better for those who didn't get it on the first run.

12. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

The performance of my 6+ 'took a hit' the moment I powered it up for the very first time. I sold mine before I could even install iOS9 so please don't assume that the latest software is the problem. An absolute dog of a phone and it still rankles that I wasted money on it.

13. thatanonymoususer macrumors regular

thatanonymoususer

I can honestly say that as someone who went from a 6+ to a 6s, I'm loving the smaller device, but I'm also always around desktops as a SysAdmin, so I do my heavy lifting over there.

I'd put it this way:
    If your main device is a phone, the larger device will be easier to do things like write papers and read pdf's if you don't mind the slight lag every now and then. If you consider your phone to be auxiliary, then the 6s will most likely treat you much better. I still use my phone all the time for plenty of things, but I wouldn't be caught dead trying to read a poorly-formatted pdf on it like a textbook. The 6+ will let you do it more easily, but it still wouldn't be as pleasant as an iPad or MacBook.

14. invisibleshoes, Oct 12, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2015

invisibleshoes macrumors regular

I felt a lack of privacy using the 6+ and it was always cumbersome figuring out where to put it. I tried it out for the battery life, and to read pdf/ebooks, but in the end an iPad Air was better suited for those tasks. I went with the regular 6S and couldn't be happier.

15. eyeseeyou macrumors 68000

If it was the first time you powered it up how do you know it took a hit since you don't have a previous 6+ experience to compare it to to confirm it "took a hit".

16. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

I was being sarcastic. The phone was basically crippled from the get-go.

17. invisibleshoes macrumors regular

Yeah I'm curious too...that made no sense.

18. invisibleshoes macrumors regular

The performance on mother's 6+ is terrible. Apple told us to restore as new over and over. I voiced my issues on the forums but several users said I was "making things up".

19. eyeseeyou macrumors 68000

Crippled compared to what iPhone experience? Hardware wise it was more advanced in every way compared to previous iPhones.

20. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

Compared to any iPhone experience.
    The hardware when dismantled and considered individually was at least as powerful in some instances, and more powerful in others than any individual pieces of hardware that went into the previous iPhones. I'll give you that. Sadly, when connected together the spec just wasn't sufficient to power the oversized HD display with downsampling to 1080p. It was a dog of a phone and comfortably my biggest Apple disappointment to date.

21. eyeseeyou, Oct 12, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2015

eyeseeyou macrumors 68000

Higher resolution screen and faster processor than the iPhone 5s off the top.

Camera was better(ois) but it also had more ram and the battery was a lot better.

You're saying the iPhone 5s experience was comparable? Sounds impossible especially if all you wanted was a bigger screen.

22. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

The 6+ is fine despite what some people say. If you want the bigger screen it's a good choice if you can't afford the 6S+.

23. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

All you got with the 6+ was a bigger screen, HD, extended battery life, Apple Pay and incremental CPU & camera upgrades. Sadly you also got an overall performance downgrade (lag, stutter, screen freezing, crashing), along with apps & browser tabs that reloaded for fun.

PS it had the same amount of RAM as the iPhone 5 and 5S.