Please Help Urgent - Non Starting Macbookpro :(

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jbrown, Mar 5, 2010.

1. jbrown macrumors 6502a

jbrown

Right - thanks for reading this plea and hope you can help.:(

I use a MacbookPro 2.4 intel duo core - Latest Snow Leopard - 2 gig ram. No trauma in it's life - never been dropped.

I have a fair knowledge of computers but by no means am I a techie.

Up until now my MBP has been running fine ( no strange behavior or noises etc. ).

It now wont start. It refused to wake up from sleep last night. I've pulled the battery, used pwoer adapter etc.

In a normal startup - there is a brief whirr sound, followed by the startup chime. My MBP makes the whirr, but thats it - no chime and no further activety.

The the screen is blank, there is no keyboard lights, there is no sound if pressing the volume key.

- I have tried:

- Zapping Pram

- Starting it up as a target drive

- Plugging in an external drive to start from that -- the drives green LED lit up so assume there's USB power - and the LED will turn red ( but only once so I assume there is no 'conversation' ).

- Tried a forced restart using :apple: - Cntrl - Power button. This gets me to the initial whirr again but no further.

i have NOT yet tried to reset the PMU - how do you do this?

Anything else it could be? Anything else I could try? I need it back asap for work - my last resort is to pull the hard drive and try to use it as an external drive to access my info - but I'd like to exhaust all tests before I do that,

THANKS A LOT FOR YOUR HELP:):):)

2. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

3. jbrown thread starter macrumors 6502a

jbrown

Thanks - will try that now.

Just a bit more info - If I try to start it, I can hear the HD spinning, but not working ( loading data etc. ).

Also the computer is getting to normal warmth.

4. jbrown thread starter macrumors 6502a

jbrown

Well tried the SMC restet a few times - no change I'm afraid:confused::(

5. blunderboy macrumors 6502

Is your computer still under AppleCare? I'm wondering if there's a problem with your logic board or something, considering that the hard drive is still spinning, but nothing else seems to be happening.

6. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Do you have the NVIDIA 8600 GT graphics card?

If so, the Genius Bar can check this in less than 5 minutes
    If this is the problem, it will require a logic board/video card replacement
    But it will be no cost

7. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

Seems as though there's a hardware malfunction. Boot off the OS Disk and run an Apple Hardware Test. Unless you know the codes, it won't help much but it will confirm that there's a hardware problem. If you still have Apple Care the code will get you helped out a lot faster.

8. jbrown thread starter macrumors 6502a

jbrown

Happy Outcome

Well - it turned out to be a fried logicboard.

But despite it being a 2007 machine, well out of warrentee, and I have no Applecare - Apple right away said that they would replace the LB free of charge.:D:D

Things like that make for brand loyalty:cool::apple:

9. Hmac macrumors 68020

Good for you. Glad that worked out.