iPad Pro Please Pass the Salt

Discussion in 'iPad' started by nightcap965, Mar 21, 2016.

1. nightcap965 macrumors 6502a

nightcap965

I was wrong.

I said that there was no way Apple would roll out a 9.7-inch Apple Pro with four speakers and Apple Pencil support. Heck, it took weeks to get my Apple Pencil - there was no way they'd be able to ramp up production on that.

I was wrong.

I have before me a knife, fork, and my hat. Please pass the salt.

2. xanotos75 macrumors newbie

Pass the salt....

What I don't understand is why can the new smaller iPad Pro can do 'Hey Siri' without being plugged in, yet the more expensive 12.9" can't do it. It has the same chip!!!

3. AliMacs macrumors 6502

This 4 month upgrade cycle is just pissing me off. I now realized you can't do hey Siri without plugging in the damn IPP. STUPID AS STUPID DOES in Apple logic.

4. tekchic macrumors 65816

tekchic

Yep. Fell for this once before with iPad 3. Had a feeling this would happen again when I bought my 12.9" Pro at release, but I *had* to have that Pencil capability. Here we go again.

Ugh. Now debating whether or not to sell 12.9" - LOVE the screen but it's far less portable and much heavier -- I'm still using my Air for reading novels, but the 12.9" for work and everything else.

5. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

I'm selling my 12.9". Its just too heavy for me. To me, 1lb is max. Anything above that it gets tiresome to hold on one hand. When the 12.9" comes in at under 1lb, I'll jump back in.

6. kupkakez macrumors 68000

kupkakez

It's going to be tough selling a used 12.9" now. The prices on Swappa and even here on the Marketplace are low in my opinion and they still aren't moving. I think with the announcement of the 9.7" you'll find it even harder to sell these and make back a decent amount.

7. AliMacs macrumors 6502

I'm not selling mine. I love the 13" display. The 10" is just too small to be practical using split view. I have multiple iPads at home and I have compared back and forth for a month now. I am fine with the 13" display.

What's pissing me off is that there is now little to no reason to update apps for the 13" behemoth. The 10" is essentially a MUCH BETTER iPad than the 13" is and devs could care less about the 13".

This is why the 13" will suffer in sales. Sorry, but if you gonna sell, sell NOW.

8. xanotos75 macrumors newbie

Just like the new iPad Pro has the cellular cover matching the color of the case, but us with the 12.9 had to have it with a white cover. I doubt Apple just figured out how to make plastic cover color.
    Geez Apple, plastic color hasn't been invented in the last few months.
    Why do I have a feeling Apple just keeps gimping their tech to make new ones every couple of months. $1,000 iPad can't record in 4K or do 240fps slow-mo, but this new small one can??? I thought bigger was better!
    (That's what she said!!!)

9. Simplicated macrumors 65816

Simplicated

Same here. I bought an iPad 3 and got screwed over. I had the same feeling when I bought this iPad Pro and sure enough they're pulling the same crap. **** I'm really angry. And I don't normally swear.

10. baypharm macrumors 65816

baypharm

Y
    You're not alone. And Apple knows the psychology behind this. Plus, they are no longer the only viable tablet rodeo in town.

11. bufffilm macrumors 68040

bufffilm

Don't you guys know to never buy a gen1 of anything?!

Some people never learn. /shakes head/

12. xanotos75 macrumors newbie

I guess I'll have to wait for the next one to get everything it 'should' have, then hold off until the 'next' one comes out to get the things it 'should' have..... Endless loop
    --- Post Merged, Mar 21, 2016 ---
    Yeah, but the iPad Pro 12.9" was suppose to be their flagship iPad. You would think it would have the latest tech until the iPad Pro 2. Didn't think a smaller version of it would be 'better'.

13. Tom G. macrumors 68000

Tom G.

Strange, I still love my 12.9 and have no plans get rid of it. I'm 71 years old and in moderately good health so the weight of it is of little concern to me. What is more important is the screen size and the pencil. I can't see trading down just to get a smaller unit that is only ounces less in weight.

14. urkel macrumors 68030

How much do you expect to get for it?

I've been trying to sell mine for 2 weeks but the market is over saturated with so many others trying to dump theirs that they're taking a 20-30% loss. I just can't justify cutting the price that low for a 2mo old iPad.

15. Cassady macrumors 6502a

Cassady

Not so sure the iPP will be that easily dismissed by "Pro" (sorry) app developers... Some of the forums I'm hanging out on, where new iOS versions of OSX apps are imminent, are certainly prepping iPP specific apps - essentially to make use of the 'better' split screen capabilities. There *might* be slower uptake for the iPP in general, but think that developers who are focused on productivity-heavy/creative apps will still come to the party...

16. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

Sorry but this is NOT the iPad 3 scenario all over again. 9.7 is not equal to 12.9. The only room for a reasonable complaint is the inclusion of a 256GB option for the 12.9 model.

17. kupkakez macrumors 68000

kupkakez

Swappa is flooded with these. Depending on what model you have you are probably going to take a hit. A less than 2 week old 128gb cellular sold for $780.

18. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

While I am a bit envious of some of the new features, such as True Tone, I'm not giving up the 12.9. Size does matter! (So she said)

19. stlredbird macrumors 6502

stlredbird

Hehe, I'm in the I bought an iPad 3 at release and also have an iPad Pro boat. With the iPad 3 I was really upset when a new iPad came out just a few short months later. With this I'm much less annoyed. I only bought my Pro a couple of weeks ago and I did so knowing full well that new iPads with more than likely the same hardware as the Pro were coming out today, but after over a month of mulling it over I decided I really wanted the larger display and I couldn't be happier. I have no need for any camera on any iPad let alone an upgraded one, the true tone display I really am not too enamored by, but I am annoyed that the new 9.7" pro can do things software wise that my 12.9" can't, for no reason other than apple says so.

I'll be interested to see a full tear down of the new ipad, but unless it has a faster cpu or ram I'm still in love with my big beautiful 12.9" display.

20. Simplicated macrumors 65816

Simplicated

So now that I have got some time to calm myself down and think, I agree with you. I like the bigger display and I don't think I would want to run two apps side by side on a 9.7" display. I am still bummed about the Tru Tone display, however.

21. dmcnickle, Mar 21, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2016

dmcnickle macrumors member

I am not giving up my 12.9 iPP. The size is a big reason why I bought it. I do almost all my digital artwork on my iPP. There is no going back to the small size. I have never take a photo with any of my iPads so the new camera is not important to me.
    I do want the 256gb capacity so I will sell my 128gb to my friend who wants one in order to get the increase in capacity.
    I wish the 256gb size and True Tone were options from the beginning but they weren't.
    Life is to short to get all worked up about it.

22. Noble Actual macrumors 6502a

The best comments are from long term Apple fans who realizes Apple strategy in screwing you over, yet can't do anything about it.

That's what getting the latest and greatest every single time gets you.

Most normal people who get or upgrade an iPad are happy has well. All MR is is s support therapy forum for people with buyers remorse.

It's hilarious and sad at the same time.

23. MartyCan macrumors 65816

MartyCan

I kind of wish I'd waited now but I'm not dumping my 12.9 IPP. It is heavier but I just installed Jump Desktop on it and now it really makes it possible for me to travel with only this device and connect to other computers remotely. Nope, I'll stay with the 12.9.

24. ferjilo macrumors member

I love my 12.9 iPP, the screen looks superb so I don't see why I should change for a 9.7 iPP, I don't want a smaller screen even if colors are supposed to be more realistic and a better camera it's a joke for me: I haven't even tried my iPP rear camera. I'm just concerned that developers keep working for the 12.9 screen, but as a general rule I don't see anything has changed, a new 9.7 iPad was coming sooner or later and basically here it is, it had to have something improved with a 9.7 screen. That's exactly what we have today.

25. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

next year, (or in 6 months the way it's been going) the 12.9 will get OLED or something and the 9.7 Pro buyers will be pissed. then the next 9.7 release will piss off the 12.9 OLED buyers again. and so it goes, Apple leapfrogging over our heads, all the way to the bank.