Please pat my back ....

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by EtherealMAC, Nov 18, 2011.

1. EtherealMAC macrumors member

I know it sounds weird and kinda silly, but I really need you MBP lovers to tell me that I made an awesome decision buy just buying a Late 2011 17" MBP, 2.5Ghz I7, 4GB RAM, 750GB 7200rpm HDD and AG Screen. I need it form you cuz I will NEVER get this from my wife, who looks at my brand new MBP with resentment because I bought it on a time on which although we had the money on the bank (and more), it wasn't precisely the best time for spending it ( next year job situation unclear, might need to move, thinking on a baby next year, etc). So, mind you, my wife IS COMPLETELY RIGHT when she says that given our situation, I shouldn't have bought it. She relunctantly allowed me to buy it, but I know deep inside she wishes I wouldn't... but honestly, I just couldn't resist.

Why I bought it you say? Well here's the reason.

I own a still (almost) perfectly usable Late 2007 17"MBP, 2.6 Ghz C2D, 4GB RAM, 500rpm, Nvidia 8600m 256Mb card, HDD AG Screen. This machine works as if it still was (almost) new, mainly because exactly a year ago the logic board, the screen, the battery and the HDD were all replaced for new parts, courtesy of AppleCare (best investment ever btw). So, since those 4 single pieces of hardware wer the most likely to fail with time, and they are only one year old, well thats why its still was almost new. This machine still fills all my needs BUT gaming (more on that later).

So why did i buy a new MBP 17" inch then? Well two main reasons:

1) A couple of months ago the hinges of the screen got busted. The screen works perfectly, but it doesn't stand still on its own. I have to use the computer by leaning the screen to a wall or a stack of books. A bit annoying, yes, but not an effective workaround. Apple wanted 700 UD for fixing them (yeah right) but I could hace DIY fixed them by buying on ebay spare (used) hinges. They are relatively easy to find, and cost around 30 ish dollars on ebay. Still i decided not to cuz well, deep inside i wanted my wife to feel that my old computer , with is busted hinges and all, warranted a replacement (although not really).

2) I ABSOLUTELY NEEDED to start playing SHOGUN 2, BF3 and SKYRIM. My previous MBP was my prime and only gaming PC (bootcamped) and it served my needs well cuz I never needed to run all my games on max settings. Being the absolute Total War nutty fan that I am, I bought Shogun 2 last march but its so demanding that its unplayable on my previous mac, even on the lowest of settings. So it has been there sitting on my bootcamp partition without me even being able to play it, which was driving me crazy. And then, came BF3 and Skyrim. Those I knew well they weren't even going to load on my previous MBP so I didnt bother trying. But I was about to drive myself crazy watching all the gameplay vids, reviews, etc. I just need to play them, I wouldn't have been able to wait 6-8 months for Ivy Bridge. I just needed to play them now. I did my research and found out that Shogun 2, BF3 and Skyrim will all run decently on the Late 2011 17 " MBP (1680x1050 res mid/high settings, enough for me) so BAM, therein how I bought the new MBP.

Why I just didn't spend 800-1000 on a PC gaming rig if what I mainly wanted the new MBP was to play? Because well, Although I DO LOVE WINDOWS 7 (regardeless of you haters) I just don't want to buy a desktop. We might be moving soon, I don't like to be limited to be in a designated house space to game ( I would sometime gme on the kitchen, for example). A gaming laptop such as alienware were outta the question, they have awesome specs but are badass fugly, and most importanlty, they are DELL.

3) A lesser reason than the other two, but editing in aperture was kinda slow, and HD movie processing on Final Cut and Adobe Premiere took hours and hours to render on my old MBP. I don't do this too often, therein why Its not a prime reason for replacing my old MBP. On this regard, i could have definetely waited for Ivy Bridge. However, then again, I LOVE the current 17" design. I may or may not like the next redesign, but I feel (be prepared for a bunchfull of geekyness) that I needed to pay tribute to the current design by owning one. 3-4 years later I can own the next design.

So there you are. My rationalization of why I needed to buy it. Please tell me I am not an insensitive a#@$#hole that doesn't care of its wife's worries. Please tell me its all gonna be alright ... even if next year I need to feed myself with cup ramen.

Please, I know i sound PATHETIC, but I really need this. I know that of all people, only you guys would truly understand why I needed it to buy it.

2. iThinkergoiMac, Nov 18, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2011

iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

Yes you could resist. I hate to burst your bubble, but I'm going to anyway. She's your wife, dude, and she's way more important than any computer you could buy. If she's right, and you know and admit she is, why did you buy it in the first place?

I love gaming, but since when is it a need? Are you a professional gamer?

Again, you admit this isn't really a reason, so why are you listing it as one?

This is the weakest part of your argument. First off, gaming is entertainment, not a NEED. If it's a NEED, you're either making money off your l33t skillz or your are putting too much time into it. Secondly, you NEEDED a new Mac for gaming?! For gaming?! Really?! Gaming is the last thing you buy a Mac for. I love Macs, but they're terrible gaming machines for the price.

If you really want to play those games, get yourself a PS3 or XBox 360, or build yourself a gaming rig. You just spent around $3000 for a laptop for gaming. Why? If you're actually serious about gaming, buy a gaming laptop with 2x the power for half the price.

This is the closest thing to a real reason and it's at the bottom of your list. Your priorities need serious looking at.

You DO sound pathetic, and I'm not going to pat you on the back. If my wife told me that she didn't think it was a good idea to spend the money, I wouldn't spend it. It's as simple as that. I respect her enough not to place my wishes and desires above her good sense and not to disrespect her by going against her wishes outright (without some serious extenuating circumstances, which yours most certainly are not).

Sorry, you'll get nothing from me. Best thing you can do? Return the MBP you just bought and fix the old one, then beg your wife's forgiveness.

3. deafgoose macrumors regular

deafgoose

I could not agree with iThinkergoiMac more.

You have a 30-day return policy.

Take it back.

4. Heebeejeebies macrumors regular

Heebeejeebies

5. ibuyufo macrumors 6502

I shake my head at you! You should never go against your wife period!

6. SideStepSociety macrumors 6502

SideStepSociety

Agreed with everyone else here. Priorities are a good thing. Other than professional gamers, testers and developers, nobody NEEDS to game.

7. praetorx macrumors regular

Hundreds of 'toys' I bought didn't get my wife's blessing but that's because she's the opposite of me. I often get buyer's remorse but that passes eventually. Besides if you need the money you can always sell it. Macs have very good resell value.

Of course, you might have done a bad move but don't be too hard on yourself, people learn from mistakes.

8. trikky macrumors regular

Are you going to use the same excuse when she catches you cheating? "Honestly...I couldn't resist..." You put your wants ahead of your needs, and you put yourself ahead of your wife.

You'll have plenty of time to play these games after your divorce. :eek:

Sorry, mate - you won't get a pat on the back here, I think, because although we're Mac users, many of us are also family men and know the real priorities. Your wife is angry at you right now, or at least extremely disappointed, and you can guarantee that soon...very soon...she's going to remind you that you put a computer purchase ahead of more important things. Especially since you have stated yourself that you know your wife is right. In doing that, you have basically told her that you don't care what she thinks, or what you should do, because what makes you feel good is more important.

Sure, I just bought myself a new computer, but I bought refurb, the recently superseded model, and not the top of the line (2.2GHz instead of 2.3GHz), saving several hundred dollars. On top of that, I have my wife's blessing, but only because though my employer, I have a 5 year, interest free loan - so my new Macbook and peripherals will be paid off over 5 years. If we didn't have that, I would't have even considered buying my new MPB.

Yeah...I know this isn't a marriage forum, but you kind of opened yourself up for it.

Marriage is about sacrifices, and it's about priorities. Taking your new top-of-the-line computer back for a refund is not a sacrifice. It's a demonstration of the true priorities and should be done. Tomorrow.

Then you'll get a pat on your back...and your wife may even do more than that... :D

9. Ccrew macrumors 68020

If the wife is pissed about the Mac purchase enough you won't have to be thinking about that baby next year :)

I agree with the others. Return it. By the sounds of it you wanted a new toy, not that you had to fulfill a need other than a personal one. Not worth the tradeoffs.

I'm married 21 yrs with two kids in college. I can define a lot of reasons to NEED a computer and you haven't hit on any of them.

10. Takashi macrumors regular

I agree with iThinkergoiMac so no pat to your back.

I don't agree that you should return your mac. You brought it, learn to live with it and pay it off. Why should the store loose money because you make a bad decision? It's not like there is an issue with your macbook pro.

11. BeardedOrc macrumors member

12. EtherealMAC thread starter macrumors member

Woah.. woah. Jeez! Tahnks for the replies but you are blowing up things outta proportion!!! Divorce? No baby next year???

I'm just telling my wife now about this thread and she's laughing her ass off. What was meant to be a kinda silly, tragicomic thread became an Oprah Show. I agree, its my fault to think that an internet forum is not prone for taking stuff outta context.

Well, anyway, please everybody chill. You guys are defintely more agitated and concenred about this thread than my wife and me. I guess I didn't explain a few things.

First of all, my wife is not ANGRY ( trust me, I know when she's ANGRY). Let's put it this way, she PREFERS i would have waitied till next year to buy it. No, buying it will not make her divorce me, we're still having the baby and no even if the job situation is unclear i wont be eating ramen all the next year (that was a JOKE btw). 2400 USD ( bought it with education discount and in Japan, which is cheaper currently than US) is a little dent to our bank account, we are not rich but its not like it seemS you guys interpreted it. By the way, its not like I sneaked out bought the computer without her approval. Before buying it she herself handed me the money ( yes relunctantly, as she prefered it would be next year)

So, to put stuff in a better context and you guys to chill down a bit, lemme put stuff into a better context:

We've been married for three years. Las year, when I wanted to replace my MBP ( I have always replaced my main laptop every three, maximum 4 years) she told me to wait till next year, mutual agreement then. So 'next year' came (Nov 2011) and she wanted me to buy it next year (2012). So what you people must have seem to miss ( my bad, i didn't put this info in a protagonic role in my orginal post) was that REGARDLESS OF WHATEVER, 2500 or os were going to be spent on my new computer either this year or the next.

So why did she handed me the money? Because, contrary to the image you seem to froming of me, I'm not a spendy guy that just buys toys for himself without consideration to his wife. In our 3 years of marriage I HAVE BOUGHT NOTHING FOR MYSELF (nada, in part cuz I'm a bit stingy). However, I'm not stingy with my wife needs, within limits I try to provide to her waht I can as I am the main earner in the family. Yes the money is NOT MINE, is OUR money, BOTH MONEY, regardless os who earns it. But a bit more goes to her and I'm totally okey with that cuz I'm not a needy guy (barely buy clothes, etc)

So, you see where I'm coming from? Yes, I bought the MBP for ENTERTAINMENT, and despite waht you guys seems to think, ENTERTAINMENT IS IMPORTANT FOR BOTH MY WIFE AND ME. We spend a lot in movies, goin to karaoke, etc, because we are still young, we dont have kids yet, and we want to enjoy our lives to the fullest. Why does it seem that you guys see as such a SIN to invest money in entertainment ? I bust my ass working, and If playing Shogun 2 gets me off, what's so wrong about that? My wife knows very well that I bought the computer because of ENTERTAINEMNT NEEDS , and she seems to understand that way more than you guys do. I own a PS3, but Shogun 2 is not for PS3. Skyrim (as Oblivion) is so much better on PC than consoles because of the community mods. And BF3... PC all the way cuz on consoles you cant play 64 player maps.

And about the "Macs are not for gaming yada yada yada yada". I thought i had made it clear that YES I KNOW THAT MACS ARE NOT THE MOST OPTIMAL GAMING MACHINES. IN FACT THEY KINDA SUCK IN TERMS OF SPECS/PRICE RATIO. But guess waht, and here's the kicker:

I DONT CARE IF I CANT PLAY GAMES IN MAXIMUM SETTINGS!!!! MEDIUM IS FINE!!!

Besides, GAMING IS ABOUT 30 % OF WAHT I DO WITH MY MAC. The other 70% is web design, word processing, photo editing, video editing (mainly in Final Cut Pro), and audio recording (Logic). So, yes THIS TIME the 30% prompted me to get a new one. Still, I wanted one that would make my experience on the other 70% better.

Did I explain myself better now?

Sorry If I became a cause of your concern (as it seems I was). But really, is not as bad as you think it it ( or as I made it look onmy tragic comic post)

What really boiled down in the post was:

Should I have bought it now or should I have waited one year more for Ivy Bridge?

The wife situation is just one thing that I tipped the scale towards Ivy Bridge. Shogun 2, BF3 and Skyrim tipped it to this year. Its simpler than you seem to think it is.

Thanks for your concerns and concerns about my marriage life though!

13. TheJing macrumors 6502a

TheJing

Hilarious thread.

You're wife is going to divorce you!!!!! No baby!!!!

14. ann713 macrumors 6502a

Just... wow. That was a bit of a rude reply, especially since you started this thread out of guilt, seeking others' opinions. Honestly, if you're not sleeping on the couch, I'd say keep it. It's your money and you seem to be financially stabled. No pat in the back from me though.

[​IMG]

Couldn't resist. :)

15. torbjoern macrumors 65816

torbjoern

It's pathetic and juvenile to buy a 17" MacBook Pro with the sole purpose of more convenient gaming on an aesthetically pleasing computer. I really hope this is not what has happened here, even though it undeniably looks like it.

16. cosmicjoke macrumors 6502

these are big boy decisions...live w/ em... stop shoulding all over yourself and enjoy your mac...

17. ThomasBoss macrumors regular

If you are happy and your wife is not angry, what is the problem???

18. cosmicjoke macrumors 6502

it's pathetic and juvenile to be judging random strangers on the internet.. i really hope that's not what has happened here, even though it undeniably looks like it...

19. Danno21 macrumors regular

Danno21

Love Japan. Lived in Osaka for a year. I miss karaoke.

Have fun with the new machine! I've been playing Skyrim on high with 4xAA and AF with great FPS on my early 2011 15 inch MBP. So much fun!

20. JazzyFizzle macrumors member

I think everyone's over exaggerating a little here.

EtherealMAC I know how you feel. I bought an iPad 2 when I couldn't really afford it. Well, I sold a guitar and my old iPod touch, so I guess it wasn't that bad, but there were lots of other things I could have spent my money on.

At the time I wasn't very happy. I was stressed because of work and my studies, and all I wanted was that amazing gadget everyone else has and is loving to escape into and away from my problems.

Since then things have been great (girlfriend, new job).

Maybe you should take a step back and look at your life. Are you happy etc. ?

It sounds to me like it doesn't really matter about the money. Yes it would be nice to have some funds for your new house/baby, but you have an income and can save it up again. Who knows what will happen next year.

Just enjoy your new computer and try get your wife involved with it. Get her the Sims 3 or something, or let her use it for Facebook or anything to get her involved so she doesn't feel like it's just a waste of money.

That's my opinion. :)

21. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

The level of insecurity within the community is amazing. Especially given the fact that Apples on top of the world.

Terrific sales, more headlines than ever, and everything they've strived for came true.

Now with a great new CEO there's never been more to celebrate.

22. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

Ah the joys of satirical intent getting lost in the translation of text. A few smilies would have gone a long way to preserving the mood of the post you wanted. Though, FWIW, apart from the divorce-predictors, we didn't really take it out of the context you provided...

If only you had included this little bit of info in the first post. You never actually mentioned that she agreed you could spend the money a year before you spent it.

By your original post, gaming was the single most important reason you bought your Mac. If it's less than 1/3 of what you do with it, why blow it out of proportion?

Glad to hear everything is OK!

23. Swain macrumors member

24. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

The only thing I can say is that it is not entirely wrong to buy something like this for entertainment.
    I know some guy the husband of my godmother who is kind of crazy about Apple. Like the kind of general Fanboy and by now they have and imac+ipad+some MBPs for the studiing kids+some iphones.
    I would look at it as some hobby. Other than that he is crazy about soccer but doesn't really spend much money on it. If his wife who is kind of a shopohlic wouldn't buy him new clothes he'd be like me and wear the stuff until it falls of. I will never understand what's the problem with trousers with holes they don't impair their usability the least bit.
    If you look at the grand picture he has this one hobby and it is definitely less expensive than all the stuff his wife buys. Little stuff but over the year a lot more expensive.

All this doesn't make it any more sane though. It is a bit of mental of you (OP) to buy that notebook for the reasons mentioned. How mental depends on your financial situation.
    For the price of a 17" you could use your old 17" and get a cheapo gaming notebook with more speed for half the price. It is absolutely stupid no doubt about it but hey so many things people do are kind of stupid if it is worth it for you and doesn't harm anyone (your wife would know) there is nothing wrong with it.
    Just write down what she spends on small stuff she probably doesn't need and as it is with many female cases that would end up to be bit more than this notebook accumulated over 2-3 years.

25. psykick5 macrumors 6502