Please post your install method of SL and reinstallation of applications

Discussion in 'macOS' started by HLdan, Sep 3, 2009.

?

Please post your install method of SL and reinstallation of applications

1. I upgraded to SL and restored from a Time Machine backup or cloned drive

1 vote(s)
    5.9%
  2. I upgraded to SL and installed all my apps manually

2 vote(s)
    11.8%
  3. I erased the disk, installed SL and restored from Time Machine backup or cloned drive

3 vote(s)
    17.6%
  4. I erased the disk, installed SL and installed all my apps manually

8 vote(s)
    47.1%
  5. I did none of the above, I Hackintoshed my SL set up

3 vote(s)
    17.6%
  1. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

At "appears" that many people are having problems with SL, IMO, it's many of the same people posting different issues. So just to clear up confusion and help everyone using Snow Leopard please post your install method and how you reinstalled your apps.

For me, for each of my Macs I used Disk Utility, erased the hard disk, began the installation of SL, when I got to the desktop I manually installed all of my apps. Everything works perfectly including my apps. No problems at all. Please join in. :)

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I don't think this is totally necessary but it cannot hurt.

MacPro:
    Backed up with TM while still using Leopard.
    Copied Documents and Pictures to another drive (I have 4 drives so it is simple). I did this because I was paranoid and tried the upgrade method first.
    Loaded up SL, restarted.
    Went to disk utility.
    Erased disc doing a zero wipe.
    Waited ... waited.
    Exit out of DU and go back to the SL install menu.
    Installed SL.

Using Migration Assistant I migrated over my apps. Noted that most licenses were lost because I did not migrate over my user profile. I took whatever I needed one by one from the last TM backup and put it in my new user profile library. This made certain i didn't take crap I didn't really need.
    Used Mobile Me to get back my iCal, Safari Bookmarks, and Contacts.

I will do the exact same with my Mini and my Air but I'll skip backing up those folders (docs and pictures) because I'll just take it from my TM backup.

3. jmpage2 macrumors 68030

jmpage2

You're missing a few poll choices champ.

For example, I just upgraded to Snow Leopard, I didn't reinstall any apps or restore from any backups. :rolleyes:

4. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Installation on Early 2009 17" UB MBP:

1. Verify Permissions.
    2. Boot off external 10.5 install and make image backup of drive using Disk Utility Restore.
    3. While still booted on external, verify/repair target (my internal) disk using Disk Utility First Aid.
    4. Reboot back on target. Do one last Time Machine backup.
    5. Load SL DVD and let it install using the default upgrade method.
    6. Wait about 40 minutes. System restarts automatically.
    7. Enjoy Snow Leopard!
    Repeat above on other Mac (MacBook Air, rev.A).

All applications, settings, and data, are intact. 3 apps have problems - 2 have fixes in work. Notice one bug.

Apparently, for some reason, "your mileage may vary", but this was very typical of my past Mac OS-X upgrades (and updates).

Installation issues aside, the release itself is an orders of magnitude better point-zero release than 10.5 (although, some might say that's not saying much... ;) ).

edit: ditto what jmpage2 said

5. Lancetx macrumors 68000

Lancetx

Same here. Not having any problems with SL either.

6. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Ditto. Not a single problem/issue to report either.

7. Wie Gehts macrumors 6502

installed fresh and just migrated over my network/settings. will install apps fresh as i need them and/or updated to work in SL. went smoothly

oddly though, one suite of apps i use the manufacturer reported problems when doing a new install under SL...as opposed to working when SL is installed as an upgrade

8. JonezyAlz macrumors newbie

JonezyAlz

I erased my disk, installed SL then re-installed all my apps manually.

Have had a lot of problems so considering wiping it again, putting leopard and all my apps back on and then just doing an upgrade...

9. soms macrumors 6502

soms

Well the poll doesn't have an option for: I upgraded and did none of the above and everything is fine.

10. Catfish_Man macrumors 68030

Catfish_Man

Likewise.

11. tugger macrumors regular

tugger

With 4 internal drives I have lots of room to play. I'm also a lazy kind of guy.

After verifying the partition and running permissions repair, I made a second clone of my working Leopard volume and upgraded that to SL. Then I downloaded just a few apps (RBrowser, Cyberduck) for SL compatibility. All other major apps are working great: Office 2008, CS, CS2, CS3, iLife, Final Cut Express, QuickTime (X and 7), Firefox, Google Earth. I'm waiting for a SL update to Garmin's Mac utilities for my nuvi660, and also an updated printer driver for a Xerox Phaser 6120N that I sometimes use.

I was using NTFS-3G/MacFuse in Leopard for write capability to my NTFS Windows partitions. I uninstalled these before doing the SL upgrade, then reinstalled them again once the upgrade went well. They only work in 32-bit mode, but that's fine by me. I was disappointed that SL did not come with built-in NTFS write capability.

My only major peeve is that something got broken with the Epson Stylus Photo R340 that I print to -- a USB printer shared by a machine running Leopard on our home network. I can print to it, but I guess it's a problem of this printer's new SL compatible driver and something flukey in Bonjour that I no longer have access to a lot of the printer's settings (e.g., quality, color, etc) like I did under Leopard. I also can't see the status of the ink cartridges, so the printer's info is not getting back to my machine. But, I'm not alone ... there are hundreds of messages in Apple Discussions from peeps with printer problems after the SL upgrade.

Other than that, my SL upgrade experience was pretty painless. I give it an 8/10.

12. Shake 'n' Bake macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

I did an erase and install, and in the process (via a huge f*** up (well not really; forgot to customize the install and quitting the installer)), found that the $29 SL disc can do an installation on a clean disk, contrary to what others said.

Reinstalled apps manually from the CD.

13. ASFx macrumors regular

Erased my drive and did a clean install, then manually downloaded and reinstalled my apps. This process has been baked into my brain from the windows days, and I really could never feel good about upgrading my OS unless I did a clean install :p

14. HLdan thread starter macrumors 603

HLdan

Sorry about that, I honestly look at installing apps manually and doing nothing as basically the same thing. Almost everyone installs at least one app, Firefox etc, when needed.