Please recommend me a large camera bag : ) !!!

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by igmolinav, Nov 7, 2011.

1. igmolinav macrumors 65816

2. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

The Crumpler Brazillion is really great for carrying a DSLR and a video camera. If you not going to carry all of that then get the 7 or 8 Million Dollar bag. The reason these bags cost so much is probably the material they use and how many compartments are inside. Plus companies can charge what ever they want.

Honestly I wouldn't want a cheap bag. I don't want the strap to break when I try picking it up. If you invest in buying the gear, don't skip on the bag. I have a Crumpler bag and love it. It's waterproof and has a lot of compartments.

3. igmolinav thread starter macrumors 65816

Hi,

As much as I may want to save, you are right, a
    good bag is really a good investment to protect
    one's gear. I was even thinking of putting some-
    times a generator in the bag with a lamp, plus
    a camera, so any recommendations are welcome
    and preferred as breaking the gear, (that is not
    always mine. Sometimes I rent or I borrow stuff
    from friends).

Thank you, very kind regards,

igmolinav : ) !!!

4. compuwar macrumors 601

compuwar

5. Escher2112 macrumors member

6. sapporobaby macrumors 68000

sapporobaby

How much equipment do you have? Are you looking for something stylish? If so, look at: http://www.booqbags.com/laptop-back...-macbook-pro-bags/Boa-flow-XL-laptop-backpack

I use a Tamrac: http://www.tamrac.com/Cat_09_ExpeditionSeries.pdf

Hope this helps.

7. Laird Knox macrumors 68000

I can't say enough about the Kiboko from Gura Gear: extremely well made, fits in the overhead, the handles are ergonomic and the backpack style harness is very comfortable.

It is expensive but no so bad when you consider the thousands invested in the contents. ;)

8. igmolinav thread starter macrumors 65816

9. mmoto macrumors member

I own a Crumpler and a LowePro bag. My favorite large bag currently is the ThinkTank Airport Acceleration. I can pull the laptop case (holding 15 in MBP) from the front and fit the rest under the airplane seat in front of me.

-Brad

10. igmolinav thread starter macrumors 65816

Hi,

Thank you : ) !!!

This weekend I will look in more detail into the brands you have suggested.

Kind regards,

11. steveash macrumors 6502

steveash

I have a Lowepro Vertex 300 AW which is huge and very well made and padded. It is expensive but the quality and padding are a world away from their cheaper bags. On the downside it is heavy even when heavy and with two bodies, 6 lenses, a couple of flash guns and various other bits and pieces it ends up being back breaking. I generally only use it for storage and for taking gear on location. If I am travelling I use a much smaller and lighter backpack.

12. TheDrift- macrumors 6502a

TheDrift-

Stealth reporter (not stealthy at all btw) good bags they do various sizes

Picked mine up on ebay used pretty cheap

13. jabbott macrumors 6502

If you are going to be carrying more than a few pounds of gear, I would highly recommend a backpack instead of a shoulder bag. That way the forces will be distributed across your waist and both of your shoulders, allowing you to stay comfortable for much longer. I've used a shoulder bag with a T2i, 10-22, 24-70 and 70-300 on a 10.5 mile hike and my shoulder was definitely sore the next couple days. I've had gear twice as heavy in a photo backpack and have been fine even after hiking 9 miles and 3000+ feet elevation on a Colorado 14er. For hiking I use the LowePro Photo Sport 200AW and in urban areas I use the Crumpler Whickey & Cox (similar to the newer Karachi Outpost medium).

14. igmolinav thread starter macrumors 65816

Hi,

Thank you : ) !!!

Kind regards,

igmolinav

15. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

I will list one more and this is from someone that had all my lower back operated on and it has been wonderful for displacing the weight of the loaded bag. Link below, I've also used Kata, R103 and while I liked it the Tamrac below is really nice for a big bag. I have a big chest & shoulders and it is comfortable but everyone is different. Happy shopping :)

http://www.amazon.com/Tamrac-Expedi...=sr_1_7?s=photo&ie=UTF8&qid=1321050059&sr=1-7

16. bunit macrumors regular

bunit

Check out Tamrac's website. They have so many great quality bags for any photographer!

17. firestarter macrumors 603

firestarter

I have the very similar Airport Addicted backpack - and it's great.

I use mine to carry:

2 bodies
    3 lenses
    1 580EXII flash
    2 Manfrotto lightweight stands
    Complete 2 head Elinchrom Ranger Quadra kit
    Loads of accessories

It's amazing to be able to fit pretty much a whole studio in a backpack. The only additional thing I carry is a soft box bag (which contains an umbrella too).

18. igmolinav thread starter macrumors 65816

Hi,

Thank you for the tips : ) !!!

Both, the TTAA and the Tamrac website are very cool!

@firestarter - Is the Ranger Quadra as cool as it looks, is the quality of light good, is elinchrom good for the long run?

Kind regards,

19. firestarter macrumors 603

firestarter

The Quadras are really excellent, and the quality of light is very good. They're a nice compact unit, very easy to use - with full remote control of both the flash and the flash power (so useful to be able to change flash power without walking over to the unit).

I have the 'A' ('Action') series heads which have an extremely short flash duration, and I think this provides extra sharp exposures (some studio flash can actually be quite slow - 1/500th or worse). Battery power is good - you get two batteries and they're fine for 300+ shots each (although I tend to shoot on fairly low powers). Recharge time is very quick - under 2 hours I think.

Couple of limitations... The flash brightnesses are fixed in a 2:1 ratio, so I end up using ND gels if I want more control (not a big deal). Because the flash head is smaller than standard you also have to buy an extra adapter ring if you want to use them with normal Elinchrom accessories - and you're limited with the size/weight of accessory you can use.

20. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

just on a general note: if you are in an area where your camera might be stolen it's not a good idea to have a camera bag that looks like a camera bag.

in those cases Trader Joes insulated grocery bags work like a charm. They are padded, look like there's cheap dog food in there. You leave them in your car and nobody breaks in. They have no compartments so you have to have individual lens bags in there.

Total cost: $4.99

There is even a youtube review. Unbelievable.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfbkNylTprw

21. rouxeny macrumors 6502

Another vote for the Kiboko. A little pricey, but a very light, yet solid bag, that holds 100% of my gear. When fully loaded, it gets pretty heavy, the straps do a good job, but I'm not sure I'd personally want to walk very far while carrying 100% of my gear anyways.

22. igmolinav thread starter macrumors 65816

Hello,

Thank you for your answers again : ) !!!

I am looking again at the posts you wrote.

It is taking a bit of extra time for me to look at the Tamrac bags.
    I will hopefully ask other questions very soon : ) !!!

I have been eyeballing a bag where I live. A bag of the crumpler
    brand. It comes with an inner bag one can pull out. Once the
    bag has been pulled out the approximate measurments are:
    In inches: 18.1 x 13.58 x 9.64.
    In centimeters: 46 x 34.5 x 24.5.
    This is a similar bag to the brazillion bag, but larger.

Not all bags you have recommended have a reseller near me. I'll
    keep on looking : ) !!!

@firestarter - You mention that you take with you 2 Manfrotto lightweight stands. Would you please tell me which models are they and how much do
    they measure.

I have seen these three light stand models:
    1. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/512193-REG/Manfrotto_156BLB_156BLB_Black_Mini_Kit.html
    2. http://www.calumetphoto.com/eng/product/calumet_ultra_compact_stand/mf6027
    3. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/612771-REG/Manfrotto_5001B_5001B_Nano_Black_Light.html

The quadras look amazing and the price looks very good, if one compares it to another pro brand like profoto. The acute B2, when on promotion, it comes with a free head. But the rest of the time it sells for around 2,300 just the pack!

The size and the adaptors can be a disadvantage for some, but I find really sweet to be able to transport the smaller size of equipment. I wonder what softboxes you may use with it. What ND gels do you use, do you just tape them?

@andiwm2003 - Will a Trader Joe's bag be able to withstand a good amount of weight, say up to 20 pounds or more :eek: ??

I'll keep on searching for the recommended bags to take a look at them. I hope to write a bit more later on.

Thank you again, kind regards,

23. firestarter macrumors 603

firestarter

3. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/612771-REG/Manfrotto_5001B_5001B_Nano_Black_Light.html

Yup, this one. (Actually, I have the 001B which is an older version)

I use the Rotalux 70x70cm mainly. It's small, but OK when used close up. I usually use a white shoot-through brolly on my second light.

I bought a pack of Lee ND gels. I have a couple of 1 stop pieces, and usually end up clipping them to the reflector of the fill light (since it's the fill that I usually find too bright).

24. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

The trader joes bag idea is not to keep all your gear with you at all times. Just when you go for a specific shoot (let's say to a beach) it's good not to show that you have that expensive gear.

I guess the bag can hold 10 pounds easily.