Please recommend the most accurate weather app on the watch..

Discussion in 'Apple Watch Apps' started by matrix07, May 20, 2018.

1. matrix07 macrumors 601

matrix07

Built in weather app sucks. It used to work well now it's just not that accurate & it doesn't seem to update very often

2 things I need.
    It needs to have weather condition complication
    It needs to work with Time Travel (so I can see will it rain if I go out running)

Oh.. and it'd be great if it's less than $5 :)

2. flyinmac macrumors 68040

flyinmac

I generally prefer Windows devices for weather.

They’re usually the most accurate.

I look through them, and there it is. The weather.

For temperature, I usually use Door devices.

Sorry... lol

I’m that person who still does things the old way. Hmm... feels about 40 degrees today, slightly cloudy, a bit of sunshine peeking through the clouds.

I gave up a long time ago on things like weather people, prediction, etc.

A common example: My grandmother told me that the news lady said we’d get a foot of snow. Strange... I used my Window... hmm... weird, all the snow is melting and it’s 70 degrees outside.

Today was supposed to be raining. I raked the leaves and worked on my roof. Pretty nice day.

Sometimes I’m curious what the weather is like in another town. I call my friend. Gives us a chance to catch up. Hey, it’s nice here today, what’s your weather like?

3. matrix07 thread starter macrumors 601

matrix07

That’s all true sadly. :)
    For example right now the weather complication showing it’s cloudy outside, instead it’s heavy rain. :O
    Sigh...

4. flyinmac macrumors 68040

flyinmac

Yeah, you can try to guess what the weather is going to do by patterns of what has happened before. But, a lot of times the weather says, "Oh... you thought I was going to do that??? Watch this!!!!!!!!"

5. kissfan macrumors regular

kissfan

6. Davidglenn macrumors member

Davidglenn

I travel and find some weather apps are less accurate in certain countries. So you really need to find the most accurate for area you live in. I have yet to find one that does 'everywhere'.

7. TiggrToo macrumors demi-goddess

TiggrToo

It's usually not an app problem - more so a source issue. There's several different weather data sources out there - Weather Underground, DarkSky, and AccuWeather to name but three here in the US; and each provider can have different forecasts or even 'nowcasts'.

8. nnoble macrumors 6502

DarkSky; I've tried many but this has proved most accurate and in real-time. 'Carrot' uses Dark Sky data from what I understand.

9. TiggrToo macrumors demi-goddess

TiggrToo

Depending on your subscription it can use Weather Underground data as well.

10. mk313 macrumors 6502a

Completely agree with davidglenn. It really depends on where you live. Where I live, weather underground is the most accurate. Bring t that’s not universally true.

11. matrix07 thread starter macrumors 601

matrix07

Thank everyone. Looks like I'll try Dark Sky & see if there's improvement over the built in app.

Cheers,

12. Polekat macrumors 6502

Polekat

Check here to see which service is most accurate then choose your app based upon who uses that service

13. CobraPA macrumors 6502a

That’s a neat site... Only odd thing is it doesn’t get the correct town for a zip code, but one in the next county... (USA). :confused: Ironic.

14. matrix07 thread starter macrumors 601

matrix07

Woah good service.

15. AnthroMatt macrumors 6502

AnthroMatt

I think that’s just the closest town for which they have data. I input the Mesa, AZ zip code for instance and get results for Phoenix.

Attached Files:

16. CobraPA macrumors 6502a

That makes sense, it needs a little indicator of that, since it just loads up a different area without showing your requested zip.

17. Sciomar macrumors regular

Sciomar

I use the Carrot weather app with data from Wunderground, thus far it's been more accurate than Dark Sky for the locations I have travelled to.