Please stop it with MRoogle...

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by andrew086, Sep 15, 2010.

1. andrew086 macrumors regular

Am I the only one who goes insane after seeing about 50% of the topics in some forums have replies saying too MRoogle it before posting? Sure, you may want to put it in your signature or something but isn't this a forum meant for, I don't know... POSTING? You might as well call it a giant wiki if no one is allowed to post a topic. So what if there's already a topic about it? Maybe people want to hear new opinions or ideas that they couldn't find elsewhere. I realize for some questions, such as if replacing a hard drive would void your warranty, are asked enough times to warrant a post linking to MRoogle, but often times there are only 4-5 topics. Why not have a few more so people can have more opinions?

Anyone else agree?

2. Surely Guest

Surely

Let me MRoogle it first.

I'll get back to you.

3. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

Hold on, I'm mrgoogling for my opinion on this matter. BRB.

4. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

5. andrew086 thread starter macrumors regular

I had a feeling that I'd be getting those responses. And that's just saying to use MRoogle instead of built-in forum search.

6. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

I know. That was the point. Why have 4-5 different threads on a topic (or if in the iPhone forum 45 different threads) when you can have one or two with tons of ideas and discussions in it?

You will still get different opinions, they will just all be together in one thread. ;)

7. hayduke macrumors 65816

hayduke

Tried to post a *********** link, but no go...

Anyways, I agree with the Thread Starter.

8. techfreak85 macrumors 68040

techfreak85

LMGTFU is blocked... nice try tho.;)

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

10. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

11. RaceTripper macrumors 68030

MRoogle may be very useful and helpful, but I agree with the OP. The NAZIs are pretty tiring and often rude/immature about it, to the point that I don't care if they're unhappy about new threads.

12. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Meh I don't care. If you don't like the thread then don't post and if you want to start a thread you run the risk of getting such an answer. Suck it up I say, its just a website.

I'd piss f'in rainbows while riding a unicorn if this were my biggest concern in life.

13. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Agreed. It usually pisses me off to no end.

Honestly I always forget about MRoogle. I always type my keywords + site:macrumors.com in Safari's/Chrome's Google Search bar to get ... *shock* the EXACT same results.

14. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Now THAT, I'd like to see! :D

15. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

You can once you capture my edit of my typo. Want to know how? MRoogle it! :p

16. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

I see it as the saying of, "Give a Man a Fish, Feed Him For a Day. Teach a Man to Fish, Feed Him For a Lifetime" ~ Lao Tzu. By teaching them about MRoogle you empower them with a way to find answers without waiting for replies.
    I also find I tired of giving the same answer to multiple threads. I'd rather just link them over and tell them how MRoogle can get them an answer quicker.

17. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

This is exactly why we suggest MRoogle!

I find that quite often, any criticism about my MRoogle suggestion in a thread comes from someone who hasn't made any attempt to answer the OP's question. There are always a sad few who choose to spend their time criticizing those of us who are trying to help, rather than offering help themselves. Fortunately, they are in the minority and are far outweighed by those who appreciate the help:

18. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Maybe, once in a while, it would help others to just answer the post sometimes instead of throwing up a bunch of links in an admonitory manner, which is something I used to do — it was a far more common habit here a few years ago — but have grown out of. Posting on a busy forum for the first time can be daunting to many, and sometimes, people are looking for a connection and validation as a member of the community, over and above the surface of their queries.

19. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Completely agree. Sometimes, it is easier/faster/more friendly to just answer the question, even if it has been answered a million times before, than it is to post a dozen links to the same answers.

Answering the question doesn't hurt - and it makes MR a more inviting place for everyone.

20. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

But typically the people who don't bother searching or don't read the rules aren't really interested in the community though

21. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

Truce for all:

Answer the question but also put a mroogle link or link to another thread and a friendly reminder if you know it already exists. ;):p:D

22. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I believe some are, but I think most people just want answers to their questions. Usually, the faster, the better.
    The whole point of posting a link is to avoid having to retype the same answers again and again.

From the Forum FAQ:
    From the Forum Rules:

23. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

But, without prejudging people's motives, they could be. Nothing wrong with providing links, but ideally, it's best to try keep it light and good-natured while getting straight to the point. My first thread on this forum was met with a bunch of helpful and friendly replies, the main reason why I'm still here today...

Aren't you all so incredibly lucky? ;)

24. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

Another thing to keep in mind is that people often come to this forum via google searches. Hence they've already "searched the whole internet" as far as they are concerned and ended up here but didn't find quite what they wanted via Google.

Since Mroogle is just google with site:forums.macrumors.com tacked on (yeah I know there's a few other things) sending them back to Google via Mroogle probably doesn't help them. Same with posting a ****** or the search results of a google/mroogle/MacRumors search. They may not understand how to parse through the search results as well as you do.

Also I often see people just search for the topic on behalf of the person that made the post and simply post the first 3 hits without looking at them. Often times the threads don't even pertain to the question at hand.

Just keep in mind that while you're here everyday and are most likely a wealth of knowledge about Apple, some people that are here barely figured out how to register let alone search. For some people this might even be the first forum they registered at. Not everybody is good at searching Google. It is a skill.

If the repost frustrates you, and it's cool if it does, just report the post and give us a thread we can merge together with.

25. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

That's what I usually do, unless they keep repeatedly making new threads. Telling someone to search is just lazy and rude. If you have enough time to post, you have enough time to help, while also showing them they can learn to help themselves.