Please win me over.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by FX4568, Apr 6, 2011.

1. FX4568 macrumors 6502

I am seriously doubting between the iPhone 4 and the Thunderbolt...
    I will list whats clouding my mind: (btw, i have owned a galaxy S for few months, and an iPod Touch for few years)

Why buy an iPhone:
    - App store is beast, people say android market will someday catch up, but in fact, they are just making quantity over quality over in the android market.
    - iOs. I like Froyo. But the problem is, there are no updates. I find bugs in my phone? Well that sucks, you gotta wait 6 months while Apple only takes few weeks to solve such issues.
    - Touch interface. I use a Samsung Galaxy S (Mesmerize) the touch interface cannot compare to the iPod touch (2nd gen lol, thats few years ago)

Why buy the Thunderbolt:
    - 4G LTE. Speed? who doesnt like speed. I mean, if you want to tether why not tether with the unlimited data plan at 4G speeds? (Plus, you need to pay 300 dollars for the iPhone 4 32gb in order to tether at 3g speed)
    - 40 GB of storage. I will admit it. Do I even use 10? I dont. But who doesnt like overkill?
    - File system storage: You have a file manager that lets you look at .doc .xls, etc. In iOS you need to download things and it only registers as a "camera" and not a usb hub.
    - More quality in Free apps. Thats something I saw in the android. Their "free" apps are better than the apple app stores "free" apps.

Random thoughts:
    - I will have to pay 50 dollars extra in order to tether. (Although I will live in campus (UCLA) so there should be wifi everywhere)
    - I love downloading free music in my Android. I love how I can just add/delete songs without my Galaxy hooked up to the computer (last time I hooked up my galaxy to the computer was only the first time I got my phone)
    - I love the super AMOLED screen in the samsung (which the closest thing to it would be the Retina display)
    - I am afraid of dropped calls. I heard only 1.8% of people have dropped calls tho.
    - I hate a 3.5 screen. but I also hate 4.3 screen. But I rather pick the 3.5
    - I have never used an HTC phone, and I believe their designs are so ugly to the point I want to cry.
    - HTC is newer than the iPhone.
    - I am a minimalist, I never have more than 6 apps in the front screen of my Galaxy S, I hate when something is disorganized, I like clean. Which Android I can be either clean or messy, iOS only clean.
    - I believe 512 RAM is enough.
    - Only reason why I have to switch from US Cel to Verizon is because I am moving for college. I like the Galaxy S, but I just feel like something is missing. Theres no "umf" in the Galaxy S.

Please help me choose.
    (I know I am posting this in MR, but I believe that Mac people will be smarter than android people who just say, "THUNDERBOLT BECAUSE IPHONE SUCKS11!!1!1" without even knowing stuff).
    Thank you for your time.

2. labman macrumors 604

labman

3. Apple OC, Apr 6, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2011

Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

only your own research will help you decide which Phone is best for you ... there are Iphone fans and Android fans ... you need to find what best suits your needs.

personally ... I like a BlackBerry

4. FX4568 thread starter macrumors 6502

Is there something I missed? Like something you notice in that list that could possibly just make me feel less confused and be like "I will go for this phone"

5. wordoflife, Apr 6, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2011

wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

The iPhone 4 looks amazing
    [​IMG]

iOS has great apps, great hardware. Its great. lol
    Seriously, I would get the iPhone if you aren't sure. Unless you are one of those people who knows for sure they want Android (because they probably know how to root it, and take the most advantage of it), then you probably would be very happy with the iPhone. The camera on the iPhone amazing too. Just try the iphone. If you don't like it, you can always return it.

Generally, in my experience, the apps you pay for are the ones that are worth it in the App Store. iOS has some quality apps.
    You have an Android though, so you know what you are dealing with. Gotta remember, Apple deals highly with user experience, so don't compare the specs on paper.

From my objective opinion, it looks like you are leaning towards iOS.

Based on your thread title, that is why I posted all of the above (besides the last sentence). People will tell you that Android is great. And iOS is great.

6. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

You come to Iphone forum and ask people to help you to decide which phone to buy. Of course 9 out of 10 will tell you to buy Iphone. :D

7. Savor Suspended

Savor

I can't decide for you. Your intuition and own personal needs will tell you what may be best for you. There is always a return date, so you can try both.

While iPhone 4 is the best gadget I have ever owned, I must say Verizon's LTE is wicked fast. My next phone might be more carrier-based just because of speed and tethering.

In some ways, I feel bad for Sprint now for likely being a very distant 3rd if this AT&T-Mobile merger comes through and the fact they backed the losing horse (WiMax). Verizon left everybody in the dust with this "true 4G."

For me, I don't want Thunderbolt for Android or because I think it is a better device than iPhone 4, per se. I want it for LTE speed. I won't need a home internet connection anymore.

8. RafaelT macrumors 65816

RafaelT

As much as I don't want to justify this post with a response a few things need to be cleared up.

These points below really aren't pro either phone and are not meant to attack you in any way... just give you some reality.

1. It's your phone... you really can't figure out on your own which is going to be better for you?

2. 4G.. who cares? 4G for the most part is not a reality for right now and anyone who keeps up with tech will have a new phone by the time there is widespread coverage.

3. If you don't even use 10GB of storage then who cares?

4. "I am afraid of dropped calls. I heard only 1.8% of people have dropped calls tho." These numbers have much more with the network, not the phone. As someone who has defended ATT for a long time even I am getting sick of the amount of dropped calls I have been having lately. Go with Verizon.

5. If you think HTC designs are so horribly ugly then don't get an HTC phone, you won't be happy with it.

6. RAM is not an issue as long as the phone can do what it is supposed to do and do it well.

9. iVeBeenDrinkin' macrumors 65816

iVeBeenDrinkin'

I read your first three sentences. Why read this thread?

10. iApples macrumors 65816

iApples

Buy whatever phone YOU want. Which one do you want more? If they were both in front of you, laying on a desk, which one would you grab first? Purchase that one...

11. bruinsrme macrumors 603

bruinsrme

My sister works for Verizon thunder bolt battery is horrid, a lot of returns

12. FX4568 thread starter macrumors 6502

No offense taken.

1. When both do the job, u gotta pick.
    2. Los Angeles has whole coverage in 4G LTE. that means, wherever I go. I will have 4G.
    3. Theres always the "just in case" Although it is valid.
    4. Nothing to say to that.
    5. sometimes, practicality outweighs preference.
    5. Yea, you are right. I even said 512 was enough.

Hm......... Im thinking I will go with the 16Gb ....... :D wait..... perhaps. argh
    Should I seriously pay 100 dollars more for tethering and extra 16 gbs of space... i mean is it worth it?

13. jer9542 macrumors member

14. Thedeathbear macrumors 6502a

Go to an Apple forum, they will say iPhone. Go to an Android forum, they will say Thunderbolt.

15. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Put the hardware aside and decide if you want to use Android or iOS. Because were on an Apple forum and I love my iPhone 4, you know what my opinion is. To me, Android seems bloated and unnecessarily complicated. I also have way too much money tied up in iOS apps over the years.

16. sbddude macrumors 6502a

I used to have an andorid phone and ipod touch. I switched to an iPhone and I am much happier.

Let me bring up some additional considerations:

Battery Life: the iphone blows away the thunderbolt and other android phones' battery life. As a college student that should matter to you.

Apps: There are lots of apps that are just not available on andorid. Netflix, Hulu, Instagram, just to name a few. Other apps are better quality on iOS, like goodreader, evernote, slingplayer, and most games.

Tethering: both iOS and Andorid can tether, for free (if you root/jailbreak).

Dropped calls: I've only dropped calls a couple of times. It doesn't bother me one bit. The places where I am most frequently have better coverage on AT&T than I used to on Sprint.

File System: yes, the iphone does not show up as a removable drive, but after using it that way for a while, I prefer it now. Everything is organized. if you want to open word documents, it's seamless and easy to do it inside apps. Example, I want to open a word doc from my dropbox. When I tap on the file, it asks me if I want to view it or open it with GoodReader. very nice interface.

P.S. This thread on an android forum is where i voiced my opinion one month after getting my iphone. Most of my points then still apply.

17. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

18. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Try whatever you want or maybe both before making a decision.
    Dont you have 30 days to return it?

19. LapsangSouchong macrumors 65816

LapsangSouchong

Buy whatever you want.

Ps: thunderbolt= 4.5 hours of battery.

enjoy.

20. zweigand macrumors 6502a

zweigand

One bad thing about android phones ...you never know for sure if you'll get OS updates. Better make sure you like the version it ships with because it might be all you get.

Shocker, I chose iPhone.

21. jimbo1mcm macrumors 68000

Do not go to Apple store

If you go and play touchy feely with the IPhone 4, you will walk out with one. I had a Droid X and loved it. IP4 is better and will get even better with IOS 5, which will have the voice integration that Android has.

22. decafjava macrumors 68030

decafjava

Well the only thing I can add is I have found and installed a lot of good quality free apps in the Apple store so I disagree they are mostly poor quality - there are but hey it's free and you can delete! Pretty sure the situation is similar for Android.

23. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

My two cents: When I first joined this forum I used to ask people to repeat the mantra it's just a phone. However, as I have acquired apps and I have learned more about the iPhone, the more I appreciate that it is more than a phone. Examples:

1. I use my iPhone with a calibrated mic (iAdudioInterface) to measure auditory stimulus frequency and amplitude levels in my psychology lab, which is an important part of my job. In total the software and mic cost about £150, but a comparable dedicated audiometer would have costs thousands and would have been less flexible.
    2. I have been able to prepare quite complex documents on my iPhone, which in one case really saved my bacon, allowing me to apply successfully for a grant on very short notice while I was traveling without access to a computer.
    3. I live in the UK and do not drive (the world is safer that way, believe me), so I have several apps that tell me the latest bus, train and subway schedules.
    4. I am able to read both work documents and novels quite easily on my iPhone display.
    5. I have a GPS tracking program that allows me to plot my position while I go hillwalking. This enables me to estimate how much exercise I've done and also provides me an interactive map with waypoints etc. Getting lost in the Scottish highlands in a raging sleet storm is no joke...
    6. If I want to go see a movie, then I use Flixster, which plots my position with GPS and tells me which films are playing in the nearest theatre.
    7. Nothing compares to iTunes. You can add your own music to iTunes from Amazon, CD's, online etc.
    8. Ecosystem - I use MobileMe and it synch's everything perfectly well. I never have to think about it.

Obviously each user has their own list iPhone of apps/uses, but this illustrates my point that the iPhone isn't just a phone. It's like a digital Swiss army knife. I haven't owned an Android device, but every time I have one demo'ed to me, it just seems that Android has not quite yet reached the utility of iOS. Given that Apple has made things simple by keeping the operating system, app approval and hardware all in one organization, I can't imagine that Android will ever reach the level of reliability of Apple's offerings.

And before I get flamed: yes, iOS is far from perfect. There are stupid annoying bugs (the alarm clock bug) and aspects of the GUI that make little sense (why, oh why, don't they allow to-do items to synchronize with the iPhone from iCal?). However, I've my 3GS for more than a year and the total number of crashes requiring a restart: 2.

/end fanboy rant

24. decafjava macrumors 68030

decafjava

Yup says it all really.:)

25. EugenexYew macrumors regular

EugenexYew

Battery.
    >4.5 hours or <4.5 hours?
    Personally, I'd take the former.
    iPhone 4 it is.
    If you can, wait a lil' longer for iPhone 5.
    It MIGHT have 4G.