Plot twist: Apple announces iPhone 7 at the March 21 Event

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Marlos, Mar 16, 2016.

1. Marlos macrumors newbie

Marlos

If those iPhone 7 leaks are the real deal, then why should Apple wait until September? Apple is falling behind in the smartphone market. Competitors like Samsung make very innovating products, like the S7 with GearVR. Maybe Apple can boost iPhone sales with an early release of the iPhone 7 along the SE. What do you guys think?

2. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

Not going to happen.

Every new version of the iPhone has also arrived with the next version of iOS. They haven't even started beta testing iOS 10 yet.

3. C DM macrumors Westmere

Apple is falling behind by having record breaking profits?

4. kch50428 macrumors 6502

kch50428

Apple is doomed... :)

5. 617aircav Suspended

op on what basis did you make your assumption? Have you looked at apples financial outlook and interpreted as being gloomy?

6. Uplift macrumors 6502

Apple is doing fine. Don't be mislead by 'innovation' with other vendors... it's a numbers game to them, all about smashing the cores, ghz, bazillion GB ram, futuristic features to look better than their competitors(Apple)... Apple will always have the upper hand, they aren't in this race, they focus on user experience, they have the software/hardware optimised to work together perfectly, the eco-system etc... and will always come out on top.

7. Radon87000 macrumors 601

Declining Sales maybe?

8. garirry macrumors 68000

garirry

Plot twist: It's just a prank, bro, there won't be any announcement that day, it's just going to be a video of rickrolling for two hours.

9. ABC5S macrumors 68040

Ya, right. Never, ever going to happen.......Period

10. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

In the words Jim Dalrymple, "Nope."

11. C DM macrumors Westmere

The thing that hasn't actually happened yet, and if it does we are talking about a slowdown in the acceleration of sales due to smartphone market saturation more than anything else. So basically still nothing to spell out anything falling behind or anything like that.

12. aristobrat macrumors G4

I'd guess that most iPhone owners are in contracts (either the last of the 2-year ones, or the new installment plan ones) that have end/upgrade dates based around the usual iPhone launch time.

If Apple launches the iPhone 7 now, there's a whole lot of people who won't be able to buy.

13. bufffilm macrumors 68040

bufffilm

There's a number of reasons why this won't fly.

Apple likes having the new iPhone annoucement in Sept/Oct. The SE is a different animal.

14. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

That is not going to happen. That would be very unlike Apple.

The S7 was not that big of a leap and I am sure that Apple will answer with a great iPhone 7 this fall.

15. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

I imagine the statement wasn't monetarily but technologically. I can agree to that in many ways. Obviously a matter of opinion, assuming money and profit aren't your only metrics.

16. C DM macrumors Westmere

One would really be impacting the other.

17. Dave245 macrumors 601

Not going to happen! They won't even announce it at WWDC so this months event is a no, September will be the date like the other iPhone's before it. Apple will likely hold an event on Tueday 13th September and announce pre-orders for the Friday of that week (16th) the iPhone 7 will likely be available the following Friday, 26th September. Of course this is not set in stone and I'm only going off what Apple have done for the last few years.

18. cableguy84 macrumors 6502a

cableguy84

If it were releasing this soon i would have expected more leaks to be honest

19. joeblow7777 macrumors 68040

That makes very little sense at this point in the 6s lifecycle. And all of the "leaks" at this point seems very rudimentary. I would expect to see more substantial leaks if the phone was launching in just a few weeks.

Also, Apple is doing pretty darn well in the smartphone market. They have no reason to rush their next release.

20. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

They're not falling behind, but the double digit iPhone growth is a thing of the past. Not because of lack of innovation but they've virtually tapped all markets and so now growth is slowing.

21. Paddle1 macrumors 68030

The iPhone 6s just came out less than 6 months ago. That's why.

22. Jimmy James macrumors 68040

Both the watch and iPhone have innovations that competitors don't, or haven't implemented with good effect.

-3D Touch.
    -Touch ID is years old and I'm not sure the rest of the market has caught up.
    -Designing your own custom chipsets isn't innovative?

I don't follow other platforms closely so I'd be curious to know how they fare on these points.

What are the unique competitor offerings? Edge screen? Sure. Not for my use though, since I prefer a case.

What am I missing?

23. Flow39 macrumors 68000

Flow39

If give it a nice 0% chance of happening.

If they did, I wouldn't mind because I already have the $ set aside for the next iPhone. :D

24. DMVillain macrumors 6502a

Newbie posts thread saying Apple is doomed, never replies to thread. Don't feed the troll.

25. Tthomas612 macrumors 65816

Tthomas612

Bro, bro, bro... Declining sales? Really? The iPhone market hit a high that was way too high when the 6 was released ... The 6s and 6s plus is still selling way better then any other iPhone that has ever been released.

Companies would absolutely kill to report what Apple reports for a quarter ... Even with "declining" sales
    --- Post Merged, Mar 16, 2016 ---
    Great way of putting it ... Now if only some
    Other people would realize this in this way