Pls Help, Having Macbook (White 1.83ghz) Issues

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by dctalk523, Mar 28, 2009.

1. dctalk523 macrumors newbie

Hello everyone. This is my first post. I've been reading this board for a while. I need your help. I'm having some issues with my macbook (white 1.83ghz). Listed are the issues that I'm experiencing.

*When I plug the power cord into the computer, the computer turns on by
    itself. I do no push the power button.

*The screen flickers when the computer is being used. Not all the time, but
    this happens often.

*The computer battery is bulging (battery has a bump). The computer
    bottom should be flat. Mine isn't.

*The battery is dead. Will not charge. Is this normal? This happened two
    years ago. Haven't gotten a new battery.

Now, I've had this system for around three years. I fear that my computer might be a lemon. Wondering what apple can do to help me out? What do ya'll suggest? Thanks for your help.

2. aethelbert macrumors 601

Did you purchase the extended warranty on the system? If so, all of those should be fixable. If not, though, you're probably out of luck on every issue that you listed. The battery issues should be fixed, though, if you buy a new battery. That may also solve the issue of powering on the computer, depending on what the culprit of the problem is.

3. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Your computer is not a "lemon". A lemon is a product that you purchase new, it doesn't work, they fix it, it still doesn't work, they fix it again, and again it doesn't work. That's a lemon and there are laws in place that give you rights when you bought a lemon. A computer that worked two years past warranty may then be broken, but it's not a lemon.

Two years ago, when your battery stopped charging, as you say, it was still under warranty or close enough that you could have convinced them to get a free replacement. At that time, some batteries had problems and were replaced for free anyway; these programs are probably over now. Too late now. Go on eBay and buy a new battery. So that fixes problems 3 and 4.

Problem 1 may go away as well, because where my computer has a working battery, so it has power all the time, whether plugged in or not, yours doesn't. Your's tries to work, but can't because it has no power, so when you plug in the power, it turns itself on. Screen flickers? Well, you've got a battery that is completely dead. That is _not_ good for your computer.

I'll repeat that: Leaving your MacBook running with a dead battery for two years is not good. Replace it with a working battery.

4. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

Didn't they have an extended warranty for batteries after the initial problems they had with them?

If so, the battery would be covered regardless.

5. aethelbert macrumors 601

I thought the same but when I ran a search, found nothing.

6. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

http://www.apple.com/support/macbook_macbookpro/batteryupdate/

That's the closest thing I can find, I'm sure they extended the battery warranty for at least 2 years though. That article was under the Exchange & Repair Extension Program section, so I can only imagine it's still in effect.