Plus one for find my mac

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by boomhower, Nov 29, 2014.

1. boomhower macrumors 68000

boomhower

While working a fairly quiet Thanksgiving got a call from a guy about an hour away. His house had been broken into and his macbook was stolen. He fired up iCloud and got an address where it was. We went and it was obvious we had the wrong house. Went next door and got the computer back. They had screwed it up enough that I couldn't get to the serial number but he was able to send an alert to confirm it was his. Never got to talk to the guy but I bet it made it Thanksgiving a little better knowing he'd get his computer back. So while not as accurate since no GPS still incredibly useful.

2. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Say what? iCloud led you to an address, you somehow figured out it was an incorrect address, then you randomly went to the house next door, and found the Mac. So no one was there and you broke in, or what? Or, they just said, "Yeah, we stole this thing, and now have screwed it up, Want it?" :rolleyes:

3. boomhower thread starter macrumors 68000

boomhower

Wow, someone pee in your cheerios this morning? I wasn't trying to say I was super cop who figured out this astonishingly difficult case. The whole neighborhood was wrong for someone who would break into a house to begin with. First house was a local business owner and nobody was home. One house had a couple cars and the other having a much larger party for the holiday. Went to the house with fewer people and talked with the homeowner. During the conversation we found out they had a guest from the same town the computer was stolen. Told them we were their looking for the computer and the dear in headlights look flashed across their faces and we knew we had the correct house. The person that brought the computer wasn't their. Now the detectives can figure the rest of it out.

The point was it's a great feature Apple includes that would be another cost on another platform. I was trying to give some kudos to Apple, not myself. This wasn't exactly rocket science. Relax and have a coffee.

4. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Your initial post left some of the details up to the imagination. :p So did the police show up?

5. boomhower thread starter macrumors 68000

boomhower

Yes, that was me.

6. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

So you left even more out. I don't see average people driving to strangers houses to confront them about stolen property... ;)

7. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Exactly.