Podcast app for iPad - what's your fav

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Batavian, May 2, 2012.

1. Batavian macrumors 6502

Batavian

I can't seem to find a podcast app that I like and don't want to pay $1 to $4 with a "hit or miss" strategy. I use Podcaster and Instacast on my iPod. I like Instacast better on the iPod. But on the iPad, I've not found one I really like. Guess I could use the iPod app on the iPad, but it looks like crap.

Any recommendations for a podcast app on the iPad?

2. HazyCloud, May 2, 2012
    Last edited: May 7, 2012

HazyCloud macrumors 68030

HazyCloud

Go with Instacast HD. It'll sync your podcasts between devices using iCloud.

EDIT* After receiving this morning's (5/7) update to Instacast, I now retract my statement. The HD version hasn't been updated yet, but Instacast just got a 1.99 IAP to receive Push Notifications for new episodes. I took my 1.99 and went and grabbed Downcast instead (which is universal).

Instacast had a chance to make theirs universal with this update and didn't. Instead they decided to charge more money after the original purchase for Push Notifications. Pass.

3. BiggAW macrumors 68020

Why you would have podcasts on an iPad, not your iPod is beyond me, but Instacast is absolutely fantastic on the iPhone/iPod. It's everything I ever wanted in a podcatcher app, and has replaced iTunes for podcast management for me. The options are a little tricky to set up, but once you figure out how to get it to locally cache over wifi, and then give a specific option to stream over 3G, it's fantastic.

So it pretty much sounds like you've already found what you want!

4. Felder71 macrumors member

5. Chargerdan macrumors member

I second the vote for Downcast. It syncs between my iPhone and iPad thru iCloud. It's great.

6. Chairman.Jobbie macrumors 6502

I haven't used Downcast but from a quick look InstacastHD 'looks' better.

I use InstacastHD. I usually listen on iPhone when out but when I'm using my iPad the InstacastHD works well. The iCloud sync isn't always consistent but I think that's more todo with it still be in its early days with developers implementation.

7. bcaslis macrumors 68020

I've used both Downcast and Instacast HD. Both are great, much better than the Music app in iOS, but overall I live Instacast HD better. The UI is much better if you ever look at links many podcasts have and it has notifications on iPad for when new podcasts you subscribe to are available. And it can synch via iCloud to Instacast on iPhone.

8. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

Downcast

I'm not paying $7 for the combo of Instacast and Instacast HD. Most of my Podcasts are audio and flashy UI are nice but not necessary with a Podcatcher IMO.

Downcast = $2 iCloud support and Universal. I've had no problems with it.

9. Chairman.Jobbie macrumors 6502

Instacast should be a universal app and 90% of my podcasts are audio - but i prefer 'classy' interface to 'crappy' interface - style matters. :cool:

10. jbennardo macrumors 6502a

jbennardo

Another vote for Downcast - simple interface makes it easy to manage and listen to podcasts - and universal!

11. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

It matters to me but Instacast simply isn't 300% better UI than Downcast. So they lost.

12. jbimler macrumors regular

Question: how well are these apps at synching? Like if I listen to 20 minutes of a podcast on my iPad, switch to the iPhone later, and then back to my iPad will it stay synced?

13. Chairman.Jobbie macrumors 6502

It's easy to throw 300% in as a value comparision - doesn't work that way for me - £2.99 is manageable. Instacast looks much much better. Anyway... Im happy and you're happy :)

And this should be in the iPad Apps forum.

14. jbimler macrumors regular

I finally just went with Downcast. I had looked at it in the past but this thread sparked my interest again. I don't listen to podcasts enough to buy two separate apps in Instacast even if it looks better.

15. ICEMAN 316 macrumors member

I personally like Instacast HD. It works great:cool:

16. BiggAW macrumors 68020

Why the heck would you have them on two devices? Just do them on your iPhone, and you're all set.

17. sally456 macrumors member

+1 Downcast
    a great interface, and works on both the iPad and the iPhone~

18. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

iPad is more suitable for video podcasts plus when i'm home I Airplay them to my HDTV.

19. BiggAW macrumors 68020

But if you're airplaying them anyways, who cares about size?

20. RossMc macrumors 65816

RossMc

Video podcasts.

Downcast gets my vote.

21. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

I keep the option open to view video on my iPad.

BTW folks instacast iphone version is on sale today for .99
    I picked it up just to have a comparison.

22. erawsd macrumors 6502

I've used both, Downcast is by far the better player for one reason: better multitasking support.

For instance, I can start up a video podcast and if I decide to popout and do something else on my iPad, Downcast automatically switches to an audio stream so that playback can continue. It will immediately switch back to video when I return to the app. I love the feature because I listen to a lot of tech podcast where the hosts will sometime demonstrate things I want to see.

On Instacast the video just pauses. Although, admittedly, I have not used instacast in at least 6 months so maybe they support this feature now.

23. Matthew9559 macrumors 6502a

Matthew9559

As stated in most of these replies, Downcast. Its a fantastic app.

24. firemedicmark macrumors 6502

+1 great app

25. jbimler macrumors regular

After using Downcast for a few days I love it. It syncs everything and found every podcast (with artwork) that I searched for. I don't see a reason to buy the more expensive Instacast. This is a utility app; you are in, and out within a minute most times.