'Poisoned' Chinese workers turn to Apple for help

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc and Tech Industry' started by Spanky Deluxe, Feb 23, 2011.

1. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

BBC news just ran a story on workers of a Taiwanese factory that make the touch screens used in iPhones. It looks like the company was using a chemical in place of alcohol that evaporated more quickly and so speeded up the production of touch screens (maybe under pressure to resolve the yellow residue issue with early IP4s??). The workers have reportedly written directly to Apple now for help on the matter.

Link to story.

2. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

Michaelgtrusa

3. Cabbit macrumors 68020

Cabbit

That would get them sacked.

4. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

Michaelgtrusa

indeed in china but not if all of them do it.

5. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

6. b0blndsy macrumors 6502

Not sure if this will also help, they need some strong representation of the issue to the concerned ones.

7. Huntn, Mar 3, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2011

Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Isn't that why the West manufactures in the 3rd world? If 'they' weren't being poisoned, the iPhone might cost twice as much. The price of doing business. And I'm sure some of our politicians feel workplace standards are one of those expensive government bureaucracies we can't afford. :p

8. Cabbit macrumors 68020

Cabbit

It does not have to be China, i am pretty sure i would sack everyone that worked for me if i was running a factory in the USA and get away with it. You just can't be so obvious about it.

9. patp Guest

Taiwan is not mainland China. Totally different labor situation and standard of living. They need to go to their local government and resolve it that way. Apple is a customer of this factory and has no control or responsibility for this factory. It's sad to see workers sickened but they need to seek help elsewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk