Pokemon Trading Card Game Now Available for iPad with Online Multiplayer

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The Pokemon Trading Card Game (TCG) Online has officially launched for the iPad following its debut at the Pokemon World Championships in August.

The title is the first licensed Pokemon game to be released for iOS, and allows players to build a deck of Pokemon cards and battle against other players while obtaining booster packs. Users can also enter tournaments for prizes, and customize the look of their cards, deck boxes, and avatar.
PLAY, TRADE, AND CHALLENGE OTHER PLAYERS AROUND THE WORLD
Have fun learning and mastering the Pokémon Trading Card Game Online! Practice against the computer or go head to head with your friends or other players from around the world. Unlock cards and decks as you play to build up your collection and make truly unique decks. Your decks and card collection are stored as a part of your Pokémon Trainer Club account, allowing you to switch between iPad and desktop with ease.

EASY TO START: Choose from Grass, Fire, or Water decks, step right into a game, and learn as you go in an easy play experience.

EXPAND YOUR COLLECTION: Earn cards, open booster packs, trade with other players, and build the perfect deck around your favorite cards. Your collection grows with you!

CUSTOMIZE YOUR EXPERIENCE: Build your own decks, customize the look of your cards, deck boxes, and avatar, and join your friends online.
Pokemon TCG Online is a free app for all Retina Display-equipped iPads and can be downloaded through the App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Pokemon Trading Card Game Now Available for iPad with Online Multiplayer

caliko

macrumors member
Sep 5, 2014
holy cow!!

is Nintendo caving in to iOS?

Do you guys know how big a deal this is?

Nintendo has NEVER developed for an outside hardware developer.

HangmanSwingset

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2011
Everett, WA
No reason this should be for retina iPads only, saying the iPad 3 had the same CPU as the iPad 2 and mini.

Maybe some hacky hacks to get it to work on the 6 plus I'm ordering soon...

Nozuka

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2012
holy cow!!

that's because the pokémon company can pretty much do what they want.

dont expect mario or zelda games anytime soon.

harveyburger54

macrumors newbie
Feb 21, 2013
No reason this should be for retina iPads only, saying the iPad 3 had the same CPU as the iPad 2 and mini.

Maybe some hacky hacks to get it to work on the 6 plus I'm ordering soon...
Just tried this on my iPad mini (1st gen) and it keeps crashing :/ I only heard about this game a few months ago when they announced it would be released on iPad so I started playing.

It completely fries my mac too :mad:

TouchMint.com

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2012
Phoenix
has some early bugs but let me introduce you to the new top free and top revenue game for the next few months haha.

Glassed Silver

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2007
Kassel, Germany
holy cow!!

Nope:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/pokemon-tv/id594261405?mt=8

And nope again:
https://itunes.apple.com/app/pokedex-for-ios/id573135437?mt=8

This is not the big deal you think it is.
Also, I'm with Ninty on this one: Leave the proper games on their hardware.

And I'd be the one who'd potentially see the benefit of getting their latest and greatest on iOS or any other platform, since I don't have a Wii U or a 3DS.
I have a Wii and the systems lower gen than it and a GBC and GBA SP.

I'll eventually buy the Wii U and a 3DS, but even until then: keep them exclusives.
IMHO, and that's just me speaking as somebody who likes to be able to play games for much longer than 1-2 years: Don't hop onboard the iOS train.
Anyone who has ever updated their iOS and has seen games going black screen and close themselves upon launching them knows what I'm talking about.
Games aren't being supported forever, eventually the manager says that the dev team should free up their time supporting that one game that doesn't sell anymore and spend the time on newer projects.
Or the company goes defunct. Whatever comes first.
With a proper console or a Windows setup I have yet to experience that/in case of incompatible Windows version I can pick any Windows version I like and set that one up.
iOS needs internet activation for installing. If I were to install 7.1.2 on my iPhone 5 now, I'd be SOL.

Glassed Silver:mac

TantalizedMind

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2007
holy cow!!

You don't know Nintendo that well. Lol. They made a Donkey Kong game for Intellivision.

Paradoxally

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2011
No iPhone? RIOT.

Wish they would make Omega Ruby for iPad/iPhone, would look at heck of a lot better than on the 3DS (I own one and it's not that great for Pokemon).

Jeremy1026

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2007
holy cow!!

Ignoring the fact that this game has been available on both PC and Mac for quite some time, sure.

drewu

macrumors member
May 1, 2011
England
Nintendo!!! You guys are in financial trouble - please just release games on iOS. Hell, even the old stuff like Super Mario (and keep the new games exclusive for your own consoles). You would make a killing financially!! People would go mad for it, even just for the nostalgic value!

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Nintendo!!! You guys are in financial trouble - please just release games on iOS. Hell, even the old stuff like Super Mario (and keep the new games exclusive for your own consoles). You would make a killing financially!! People would go mad for it, even just for the nostalgic value!
People like you are exactly like the PC folk who said Apple had to go OEM and put their software on third parties.

Nintendo isn't in danger yet and there's no reason to give up their biggest advantage- not relying on any other company and owning their stack.

What they actually need to start doing is admitting that Apple ate their "blue ocean" casual gamer lunch and start appealing to their original fan base. Nintendo lost a lot of their core with the Wii because they started simplifying core franchises for the sake of new players- Metroid Prime 3 and Other M and Zelda: Skyward Sword were all simpler and more linear, and Super Smash Bros Brawl was much slower and had a capped skill ceiling, more random events, too much defensive buffs, no more combo system, and more rubber banding compared to Melee (which has the best game design from a fighting game perspective in the series).

Nintendo is showing signs of recognizing this in recent interviews, but the new Smash Bros is still pretty much Brawl. We'll see how long it takes them to figure this out.

----------

Excuse me princess.

Don't forget about the CD-i Zeldas. Not developed by Nintendo, but it's Nintendo's ip.
This was more of an accident in licensing. Nintendo tried to renege and cancelled the Philips SNES CD adding and couldn't revoke the IP rights they gave.

Historically, he's right. Nintendo makes less third party software than Apple does (iTunes).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.