Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

caliko

macrumors member
Sep 5, 2014
Nope:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/pokemon-tv/id594261405?mt=8

And nope again:
https://itunes.apple.com/app/pokedex-for-ios/id573135437?mt=8

This is not the big deal you think it is.
Also, I'm with Ninty on this one: Leave the proper games on their hardware.
Glassed Silver:mac

We know those APPS existed. I should have been more specific to point out GAMES.

"We won't develop for smartphones."

http://www.cnet.com/news/nintendo-we-wont-develop-for-smartphones/?_escaped_fragment_=

"Nintendo definitely won't develop for iOS"

http://gizmodo.com/5818907/nintendo-definitely-isnt-developing-games-for-ios-and-android

Point being Nintendo is losening its grip on exclusivity it seems so yes it is a big deal.

I agree they should keep their games tied to their amazing hardware but this is the furthest they've ever strayed.

You don't know Nintendo that well. Lol. They made a Donkey Kong game for Intellivision.

Pre-NES. They also had the game available for Atari and Apple II. Once they began developing their own hardware they kept developing exclusive.

Show me where their Playstation, Xbox or Sega titles are.

I know Nintendo well so take your "lol" crap elsewhere.

Last edited:

caliko

macrumors member
Sep 5, 2014
People like you are exactly like the PC folk who said Apple had to go OEM and put their software on third parties.

Nintendo isn't in danger yet and there's no reason to give up their biggest advantage- not relying on any other company and owning their stack.

What they actually need to start doing is admitting that Apple ate their "blue ocean" casual gamer lunch and start appealing to their original fan base. Nintendo lost a lot of their core with the Wii because they started simplifying core franchises for the sake of new players- Metroid Prime 3 and Other M and Zelda: Skyward Sword were all simpler and more linear, and Super Smash Bros Brawl was much slower and had a capped skill ceiling, more random events, too much defensive buffs, no more combo system, and more rubber banding compared to Melee (which has the best game design from a fighting game perspective in the series).

Nintendo is showing signs of recognizing this in recent interviews, but the new Smash Bros is still pretty much Brawl. We'll see how long it takes them to figure this out.

----------

This was more of an accident in licensing. Nintendo tried to renege and cancelled the Philips SNES CD adding and couldn't revoke the IP rights they gave.

Historically, he's right. Nintendo makes less third party software than Apple does (iTunes).

Good post.

People have been screaming "Nintendo is doomed" since the 90's but the truth is they're doing better than Sony and MS. MS specifically losing money with investors advising to spin off the Xbox brand.

But I must say Apple ate their blue ocean customers because Nintendo let them. They got too cocky it seems. I still love Wii Sports and their casual games but they thought they didn't have to advance further. You see their eShop and its a desert wasteland compared to iOS.

The problem with Wii U is now the opposite, they're trying to appeal to old gamers with more traditional titles but you have to remember Gamecube. Nintendo is the greatest game developer in the world but they have to let independent developers exploit their hardware and develop for both sides of the fence.

Remember Nintendo had a digital store before Apple which was taking off but they pretty much locked it down and thought they had a monopoly.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
holy cow!!

is Nintendo caving in to iOS?

Do you guys know how big a deal this is?

Nintendo has NEVER developed for an outside hardware developer.

Both Nintendo and GameFreak have. They have even released apps for iOS too!

Do your research ;)

----------

Tempted by this app. But I just got a copy of it for my Gameboy Color so I'll hold off for now.

dysamoria

macrumors 68020
Dec 8, 2011
I barely understand card trading and collecting. I get it, but barely. Now we are talking about cards that aren't cards. They're just virtual, software entities? Collecting things that have no real world existence? No scarcity? Huh?

Nunyabinez

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2010
Provo, UT
My kids (all grown) have hundreds of the original cards that they got in the 90s. I sometimes wonder what they would be worth if they tried to sell them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.