Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

An update to Pokémon Go rolled out to iOS and Android devices today, bringing new features to the game along with a few slight shifts in the user interface. One of the biggest new additions is the opportunity for players to customize their avatar (which was previously only allowed when starting the game), giving the chance for added personalization in Pokémon Go.

pokemon-go-update-1.jpg

One of the longest-running gripes surrounding Niantic and The Pokémon Company's new mobile game was a glitch that suggested all "nearby" Pokémon were three steps away from the player. The intended game mechanic was meant to vaguely point players in the direction of an elusive character, with the steps shrinking to two, one, and eventually none when the Pokémon was nearby. Niantic doesn't seem to have an exact fix for the three-step glitch as of yet, and has simply removed the footstep counter from the nearby menu altogether.

The developer also took some constructive criticism from gamers and moved the transfer button from the very bottom of a Pokémon's profile, and it now resides in a circular hamburger menu at the bottom right of the screen. When tapped on, players can choose to favorite the character, or transfer it to receive the candy of that Pokémon. Favorited Pokémon are also now protected from being transferred accidentally.

pokemon-go-update-2.jpg

Once inside of the new update for Pokémon Go, users will notice a few other minor tweaks as well. Niantic has changed the font inside some of the game's menus, making character combat power and names slightly easier to read. The company also tweaked a few of the game's medals, adjusted the battle damage of some Pokémon, improved the app's memory issues so it loads quicker, and a handful of other things.

Check out Pokémon Go on the App Store [Direct Link] for the full list of updates in version 1.1.0 of the app.

Previous Coverage: Pokémon Go Set App Store Record for Most Ever Downloads During its First Week of Availability

Article Link: 'Pokémon Go' Updates With Avatar Customization, Removal of Footstep Counter, and More

okboy

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2010
The quality of this software is extremely poor. They've now removed two features, the map that shows where you caught a Pokemon and the footstep counter. I'm not even talking about the server issues, the app is unbearably buggy.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
My only previous exposure to Pokemon was playing some of the old N64 games with my daughter, back when she was little. But I have to admit I have found Pokemon Go to be a very fun, mindless diversion - even though I'm way, way out of the target demographic for this.

Hopefully this update will bring some much-needed stability to the app.

Reactions: Deelron

Durentis

macrumors newbie
Mar 20, 2014
Did they remove the cancerous IAP model and improve the gameplay elements it affects? Of course not.
Did they remove the invasive stops/gyms? Doubt it.
Would like a good pay-once Pokémon game for iOS.
Will not be fleeced by intentionally crippled mobile games.
#BoycottIAP

Guild of Dungeoneering
was nice to see, on the other hand. Make a clever game and charge for it directly.. what a crazy notion.

boto

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2012
Sweet! After updating the app catching Pokemon just got 10 times harder, longer delay and sluggish pokeball reload, GYM Pokemon names & CP texts are blurry, bold texts in Pokemon collection/eggs pop out too much, and of course nearby isn't fixed. What a wonderful weekend...

twocents

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2016
California, USA
It'd be great if instead of footprints they showed nearby Pokemon as radar blips echoing from their location, but you only know of what's in the area and not where a specific Pokemon is exactly. Still an adventure but not leaving you wandering unnecessarily

Reactions: neuropsychguy

ShellZell

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2016
I updated to the latest version and since then my XP is displayed incorrectly. I'm on Level 16 and i've accumulated 1,345 XP so far on Level 16. However, when I click on my avatar, 121345 XP is displayed. Below the level it's correct, it says 1345/20000 XP. Is anyone else having this issue?

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
So they vowed to take down Pokevision and now they also removed the footprints.
[doublepost=1469943418][/doublepost]
I updated to the latest version and since then my XP is displayed incorrectly. I'm on Level 16 and i've accumulated 1,345 XP so far on Level 16. However, when I click on my avatar, 121345 XP is displayed. Below the level it's correct, it says 1345/20000 XP. Is anyone else having this issue?

Is it the total XP you earned since Level 1?

smacrumon

macrumors 68030
Jan 15, 2016
Nintendo deserve every success of this game. They've designed something that is truly engaging and unique and something that just doesn't ask players to engage in gambling behaviour as some of the trashbag games on the App Store do. (In my opinion a lot of the gambling style games need to be removed from the App Store.) Excited to see what is next from Nintendo and company.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Nintendo deserve every success of this game. They've designed something that is truly engaging and unique and something that just doesn't ask players to engage in gambling behaviour as some of the trashbag games on the App Store do. (In my opinion a lot of the gambling style games need to be removed from the App Store.) Excited to see what is next from Nintendo and company.
Well, more realistically they got a company that essentially used what they already had out there for some time now and basically re-branded things and adjusted things here and there to make it all more appealing and perhaps more approachable in some ways. That's not to say they don't deserve the success or anything like that, just to point the history and details behind it.

Reactions: CarlJ and haruhiko

smacrumon

macrumors 68030
Jan 15, 2016
Well, more realistically they got a company that essentially used what they already had out there for some time now and basically re-branded things and adjusted things here and there to make it all more appealing and perhaps more approachable in some ways. That's not to say they don't deserve the success or anything like that, just to point the history and details behind it.
Well yes, it's a collective congrats to Nintendo, the Pokemon company and Niantic for not making a pseudo gambling app and basing their design around the simple notion of fun.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
Did they remove the cancerous IAP model and improve the gameplay elements it affects? Of course not.
Did they remove the invasive stops/gyms? Doubt it.
Would like a good pay-once Pokémon game for iOS.
Will not be fleeced by intentionally crippled mobile games.
#BoycottIAP

Guild of Dungeoneering
was nice to see, on the other hand. Make a clever game and charge for it directly.. what a crazy notion.
You dont have to pay to play the game at all

Speedy Dingo

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2010
Australia
I think that's the total xp you've earned since starting the game. I have a similar number.

neuropsychguy

macrumors 68020
Sep 29, 2008
The quality of this software is extremely poor. They've now removed two features, the map that shows where you caught a Pokemon and the footstep counter. I'm not even talking about the server issues, the app is unbearably buggy.
Neither the map not the footsteps ever worked for me. The map was always white. The footsteps never helped me catch a Pokemon, although that could be in part because the game froze too much.
[doublepost=1469967718][/doublepost]
Sweet! After updating the app catching Pokemon just got 10 times harder, longer delay and sluggish pokeball reload, GYM Pokemon names & CP texts are blurry, bold texts in Pokemon collection/eggs pop out too much, and of course nearby isn't fixed. What a wonderful weekend...
I haven't played much since the update but I also noticed it's much harder to catch Pokemon. I'm going through about 3-4x as many Pokeballs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.