Police: Mother kills girl with bleach

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
From CNN:

A woman angry with her 12-year-old daughter for having sex forced the girl to drink bleach and sat on her until the child died, a police detective said.

The girl's 9-year-old brother was forced to watch the attack, Detective Warren Cotton testified Thursday in a preliminary hearing for Tunisia Archie, 31.

Archie is charged with capital murder in the asphyxiation death of her daughter Jasmine. If convicted, she could be sentenced to death or life in prison without parole.

Cotton said Archie, who has been jailed without bond since shortly after her daughter's Nov. 26 death, told authorities she was disturbed because "her daughter told her that she was no longer a virgin."

She said she poured bleach into Jasmine's mouth and the child vomited, he said, then sat on her until she stopped breathing, Cotton testified.

Archie forced Jasmine's 9-year-old brother Jacorey to watch the attack and "told him that if he shed a tear that she was going to kill him, too," Cotton testified.
Despicable.

chanoc

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2003
Anchorage, Alaska USA
WTF? :eek:

Sounds like the right-wing-god-fearing-insane-from-too-much-religion USA. :rolleyes:

So what is the big deal? So what the girl had sex, it's biological - happens sooner or later.

quagmire

macrumors 603
Apr 19, 2004
chanoc said:

Sounds like the right-wing-god-fearing-insane-from-too-much-religion USA. :rolleyes:

So what is the big deal? So what the girl had sex, it's biological - happens sooner or later.

Might as well have sex at 6 years old since it will happen or later. Should we all die now since it will happen sooner or later?
:rolleyes:

Well anyway, I am hoping the death sentence. It was stupid though of the daughter to blurt out that she wasn't a virgin anymore. At least she was being honest.

stubeeef

macrumors 68030
Aug 10, 2004
chanoc said:

Sounds like the left-wing-god-hating-insane-from-too-much-government-intervention USA. :rolleyes:

Because afterall she is obviously a wack job!
Put her a way for life!

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
spikeovsky said:
Can't we just agree on the "insane" bit? :(
Yes. Who would kill their own children by poisoning them and asphyxiating them? (Rhetorical question alert!)

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
Really sad and sicking that a mother would do that to her child. I understand the whole sex/virgin thing and her being upset about that, but you do not kill someone for that. I hope they lock her up and throw away the key or something :( :mad:

3Memos

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2005
At 12, I was still trying to get the nerve up to talk to a girl. So sad that she lost her virginity so early, and so sad her mom went to looney-land.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
In America, both the left and right are intolerable, so lets drop it. ;)

Even if the mother made her daughter drink bleach and left it at that, at least she wouldn't have died. It really doesn't make sense to want to kill your kids that badly after this incident unless she has already thought about it, possibly for some other things her daughter had done in the past already. And glaring at your son and telling him that she'd kill him too......hmmm

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
This is a terrible event. The way I look at it is if the daughter had sex at age 12 then there is more to this story. Probably huge family issues, I would imagine abuse or something along those lines. And the mother acting the way she did just fits in with the category of highly dysfunctional family if you ask me. I think death penalty by drinking Clorox would suit this mother just fine, save the jail space for someone else.

jon

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
Abstract said:
Even if the mother made her daughter drink bleach and left it at that, at least she wouldn't have died.
So drinking the bleach alone would not have been fatal? But the mother sitting on her is what really killed her? Or a combination of both?

But again a very disturbing story. 12 year old having sex. Mother forces child to drink bleach and then sits on her thus killing her. :(

EDIT: Nevermind just finished reading the article. She stopped breathing as a result of the mom sitting on her. I really should finish reading the story :eek:

Applespider

macrumors G4
One thing that concerns me here is what effect it will have on other young girls trying to find the courage to tell their mother that they have had sex and now they either have an STD or are pregnant.

Much of the advice given out to kids in that position is to tell their parents. It's emphasised that although they're likely to be cross, you're still their daughter and they will help you. Years of pushing that message goes with this case - tell your mother, and she'll kill you (literally!)

pcdoctor, it may have been a single parent home but I doubt that was the only reason for this. It must have been dysfunctional in some other way. There are plenty of single parents who manage to raise kids without them having underage sex, dealing/taking drugs, truanting school. I know several with kids who have gone to university, have good jobs, happy families.

CorvusCamenarum

macrumors 65816
Dec 16, 2004
Birmingham, AL
Well, now I'm officially ashamed to be from Alabama. We're not all like this, I swear. I'm about an hour west of B'ham too. And yes, this probably was a single parent home. In the bad part of Birmingham.

Littleodie914

macrumors 68000
Jun 9, 2004
Rochester, NY
quagmire said:
...Well anyway, I am hoping the death sentence. It was stupid though of the daughter to blurt out that she wasn't a virgin anymore. At least she was being honest.
True, but would putting it off had made it any better? And being 12, the girl was probably petrified about what happened, and was worried about it. Thinking "mom" would be caring and supportive of her daughter's honesty and fear, she told her, probably looking for advice. That's just sick that anyone would do that to a child... :( :mad:

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
I can't think of anything much more disturbing. As a parent, I can't even imagine the thought of losing either of my children, let alone killing them.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
Such a sad situation. For a mother to commit such a heinous act, there must have been a lot more going on with the family dynamics. There is no punishment of Earth that could cover this.

I also feel for the 9 year old, having to watch this. Now he has lost a sister and mother. Hopefully there will be a loving family member to adopt him. Would hope that her way of dealing doesn't run in the family. He will need years of counseling. :eek: :(

KingSleaze

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2004
So. Cal
Littleodie914 said:
True, but would putting it off had made it any better? And being 12, the girl was probably petrified about what happened, and was worried about it. Thinking "mom" would be caring and supportive of her daughter's honesty and fear, she told her, probably looking for advice. That's just sick that anyone would do that to a child... :( :mad:
I doubt daughter was petrified. Probably said it in anger or to get mom angry. I wonder if she said it just to get some reaction. I wonder if she really might have been a virgin (that portion of the girl's medical condition isn't in the article) or had she been assaulted by someone she trusted (clergy or teacher)
Yes, it is shame it occurred (all the way around).