Police probe Clarkson phone photo

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by iGav, Mar 12, 2008.

1. iGav macrumors G3

And guess which paper the Hamster works for! :p :p :p

*tries to muffle laughter*

No Top Gear for 2 years then!

2. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

I'm sure the coppers will be totally fair with their investigations, it's not like he has ever criticised their traffic policies. :D:D:D

3. tringo macrumors regular

That guy is too much. Although he might have only been on there for a second or too.

4. iGav thread starter macrumors G3

Indeed, and if he does get sent down for a 2 year stretch courtesy of Her Majesty, then Adam and Hayley should be Knighted for Services to Society! :p

5. jaded-mandarin macrumors regular

If anything does happen then Adam and Hayley better get their arses on the Police Protection Scheme because me and other avid Top Gear viewers will be hunting them down.

6. iowamensan macrumors 6502

So wait a minute - in the UK you can go to jail for two years for talking on a cell phone while driving?

7. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

It's one thing for police to catch him. It's another thing for regular citizens to be catching people doing things like this. I'm sure that if I took a photo of someone who threw an egg at a parked car from a moving vehicle, the police would just tell me they'd investigate it. In fact, this HAS happened to me. What was there to investigate? I have a photo.

I'm not saying what JC did was right. Far from it. He shouldn't be talking on his mobile while driving. Period. However, there are so many people who do it, and yet even with a photo, we as citizens can't get police to bother putting in the effor to nab the offender.

The police talk about punishing him fairly, which is great. However, if he wasn't famous, nobody would do anything about this crime.

8. R.Youden macrumors 68020

R.Youden

This is what I find funny about the article.

They site the photo ©Adam Blake, but in the main article it states that his girlfriend took the photo. Also the photo looks as if it was taken from the drivers side of the car, or is it common for Mr Blakes girlfriend to be confined to the back of the car?

9. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

Thing is, could be anyone with a 1970's Merc and a Perm. Also, that doesn't look like a phone to me.

Not sure thats enough evidence to hold up in court. ;)

10. iGav thread starter macrumors G3

Au contraire, with the (potential) CCTV, phone records, photographic and witness evidence, he's just begging to be made an example of. :D

11. jSunbeam macrumors regular

erm, you can get two years in prison for talking on your phone whilst driving? last i heard it was just a fine. one of the tabloids should commission someone to follow the sad ****er who sent the picture in to see if they can catch him talking on his phone whilst driving. that would be a nice ending for me.

12. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

In this case, all the bolds are unreliable. Phone records? Left the phone at home that day, anyone could have been using it. The photo isn't much, and witness, well, thats just his word against theirs.

13. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

That's the maximum. For example, if you then drive your car into a group of school children while chattering away on your mobile phone.

If someone drives into a good, heavy tree while talking on his phone, that's a good ending. But that is much too rare. :mad:

14. scotthayes macrumors 68000

scotthayes

if his is convicted, it will be 3 points and a £60 fine.

Now waiting for the editor of the Mirror to get caught doing the same thing and seeing how he tries to talk his way out of that.

15. iGav thread starter macrumors G3

On their own maybe, otherwise given the nature of the evidence, and taken as a whole, it is likely to be coherent, and compelling.

That would unlikely be a robust defense, given that the phone company would likely be able to give a location for the phone at the time of the call. :p

Consider if there was CCTV evidence with a time stamp, there is likely to be metadata attached to the image corroborating the time, his phone records would then confirm if a call was made (or received) at this time, as well as his location of course, it's entirely possible that the person he was allegedly talking with would be called as a witness for the prosecution (because lets face it, they wouldn't be a witness for the defence would they ;)) now given all the potential evidence above, would this person really run the risk of committing perjury to save Clarksons arse?

Of course, he could also be prosecuted for driving without due care and attention, which itself would carry a reasonable fine and 3-9 points. ;)

Humour aside of course, if he is guilty I hope he is made an example of. Seriously.

16. davidjearly macrumors 68020

davidjearly

Me too. Just because it's Jeremy Clarkson.

17. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Exactly, the irony of it all would be brilliant.

18. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

larger photo

Doesn't look like the cars are even moving at any speed. Due to that being a mobile phone camera shot, the background would be blurred if the cars were moving fast and not stationary like they are.

19. Santa Rosa macrumors 65816

Santa Rosa

Who's with me to lay the pain into these sad act idiots who put this picture in :D.

If it is Clarkson he should be given special permission to use his phone while driving as he is THE MAN!!!

Also on an Apple related note, if you look closely the phone looks very iPhone like, which as a matter of fact Jeremy Clarkson owns, unlocked on the Vodafone network and he claims he gets 4 days battery life!!

Clarkson for Prime Minister :)

Adam and Hayley can properly f**k off, s**ting sad acts.

20. iGav thread starter macrumors G3

Makes no difference. He could be stuck in a traffic jam doing 0mph. He'd still be breaking the law. ;)

THINK! Road Safety