Policy question regarding access to certain threads

highres

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 1, 2005
Near the Singularity
Maybe a little unfair?

I am pretty new to MR and really enjoy the site so far, I am a longtime Mac user (since about 1985-86) and am also a graphics/web professional in my late 30's. It seems somewhat unfair that as an MR "newbie" that I can't reply to certain threads (political, etc.) because of the danger of a flame, immature or improper response that will require banning, instead of a blanket policy of (x) amount of posts wouldn't it make more sense to judge the content of a members posts, then deciding whether to ban or not? Not trying to start a flame battle or be a troublemaker, just curious...

Is it because it is easy to make new names after being banned and continue the flame battle? Like I said no disrepect to forum admins or mods...

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
I think you will find that it is only the political forum this applies to. Everyone has the same access everywhere else (except for the private forums that contributers have access to).

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Because threads in the political forum tend to be the topics that attract people to stop being lurkers and immediately want to fire back their opinion.

Without the limitation, quite a few people joined just to become trolls.

The political forum has always been the section of MacRumors that is barely tolerated.

It's been shut down quite a few times, many peole have been banned for posting there.

Putting a post limit, makes the bar a bit higher ... and reduces the moderator workload for newbies coming in to be trolls and flamebait.

If you really don't like the bar to posting in the political section, then there is a good chance that you would be a problem.

dubbz

macrumors 68020
Sep 3, 2003
Alta, Norway
There's posting restrictions? I never noticed! :eek:

Makes sense that it's to prevent people from just making new accounts when they get banned. Maybe they could do it like FARK, with a 24h delay before you can make your first post. On the other hand, FARK threads die quicker, so it might work better there... Here they tend to stick around forever.

MacDawg

macrumors Core
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
highres said:
...instead of a blanket policy of (x) amount of posts wouldn't it make more sense to judge the content of a members posts, then deciding whether to ban or not?
This is one of the reason for the (x) amount of posts.
If the mods had to constantly monitor and edit out these posts the Political Forum would likely be closed for good.

100 posts is not unreasonable, and has worked to a certain extent.

Woof, Woof - Dawg

highres

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 1, 2005
Near the Singularity
Sun Baked said:
Because threads in the political forum tend to be the topics that attract people to stop being lurkers and immediately want to fire back their opinion.

Without the limitation, quite a few people joined just to become trolls.

The political forum has always been the section of MacRumors that is barely tolerated.

It's been shut down quite a few times, many peole have been banned for posting there.

Putting a post limit, makes the bar a bit higher ... and reduces the moderator workload for newbies coming in to be trolls and flamebait.

If you really don't like the bar to posting in the political section, then there is a good chance that you would be a problem.
Makes sense to me, I can definitely see how it would reduce the mod workload as well. However it is sad that flamers and trolls kinda spoil it for people who do have respect and like a good, intelligent, spirited discourse on politics...Not to worry I really enjoy the rest of the site and when I have crossed the bar, I look forward to posting in the Political discussions area...Thanks for the prompt response... :)

MacDawg

macrumors Core
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
highres said:
Makes sense to me, I can definitely see how it would reduce the mod workload as well. However it is sad that flamers and trolls kinda spoil it for people who do have respect and like a good, intelligent, spirited discourse on politics...Not to worry I really enjoy the rest of the site and when I have crossed the bar, I look forward to posting in the Political discussions area...Thanks for the prompt response... :)
This is a GREAT forum, and the time will pass quickly while getting your post count to 100. You are already 1/3 of the way there. Get involved in some of the other meaningful discussions (no spam please), and you will find that in a few days you will be posting in the Political Forum.

I rarely visit there anymore :eek:

Woof, Woof - Dawg

highres

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 1, 2005
Near the Singularity
MacDawg said:
This is a GREAT forum, and the time will pass quickly while getting your post count to 100. You are already 1/3 of the way there. Get involved in some of the other meaningful discussions (no spam please), and you will find that in a few days you will be posting in the Political Forum.

I rarely visit there anymore :eek:

Woof, Woof - Dawg
It is true, the name of the site is MacRumors not PoliticalRumors, and there are many great areas to read and post in, there is almost not enough time in the day it seems like, lol, I didn't know the cutoff was 100 posts either, pretty reasonable...Surprised I didn't discover MR sooner as I am a pretty active web traveler... :D

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
I can understand how those who are at MacRumors for the main forums but also want to discuss the non-Mac issues of interest to them would want to participate in the Community Discussion forums, including its Current Events and Politics, Religion, Social Issues subforums.

But I've always been puzzled why some people join MacRumors and post only in the Political forum. Why MacRumors? Aren't there plenty of other and better sites for political discussions? The topics don't have Apple-related themes, and being a Mac user doesn't seem to have a strong influence on the range of views and opinions.

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
Doctor Q said:
Why MacRumors? Aren't there plenty of other and better sites for political discussions?
Have you seen those other political forums? :eek: It ain't pretty. The forums here are nice. Um... most of the time. :p

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
I try to stay away from the political forums because I usually end up getting mad, plus the posts don't count in there. Its good that the forum is tucked away in the corner or we would have fights all over the place.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
Doctor Q said:
But I've always been puzzled why some people join MacRumors and post only in the Political forum. Why MacRumors? Aren't there plenty of other and better sites for political discussions? The topics don't have Apple-related themes, and being a Mac user doesn't seem to have a strong influence on the range of views and opinions.
I've often wondered the same thing. In my entire MR life I don't think I've made one post in the Political Forums (Doctor Q, you amazing statistician, could probably prove or disprove me ;)) and I really have no desire to. Although I like discussing non-Mac related topics with fellow MacRumors members in the News and Community discussion threads, I primarily come and participate on MacRumors for Mac-related discussions, news and topics. As you say, surely there are better sites out there for political discussions?

MacDawg

macrumors Core
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
My mother told me when I was a little boy to never argue politics or religion. She was wise.

I don't mind an informed discussion, but the name calling and mud slinging doesn't accomplish much. I can venture in for a while, but its not long before I'm out.

Woof, Woof - Dawg

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
MacDawg said:
My mother told me when I was a little boy to never argue politics or religion. She was wise.

I don't mind an informed discussion, but the name calling and mud slinging doesn't accomplish much. I can venture in for a while, but its not long before I'm out.
I'm the same way - educated discussions, whether Mac-related or not, I have no problems taking part in. Political/religious discussions and the like, I just don't see as being conducive to that end. As you say, too much name-calling, mud-slinging, and immature, narrow-minded behavior - unnecessary behavior which drowns out any intelligent people who are trying to make a legitimate point.

highres

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 1, 2005
Near the Singularity
From all the input I have read it seems like the Politics, Religion and Social Issues forum is by far the most controversial thread on the site and that members have very strong opinions one way or the other about it. I guess that is due to the subject matter "Politics, Religion and Social Issues". Most people will never see eye to eye on either politics or religion and it brings the best and the worst out in people. Pure mudslinging and name calling is lame and neanderthal, informed discussion is ok and healthy in my opinion.

wrc fan

macrumors 65816
~Shard~ said:
I've often wondered the same thing. In my entire MR life I don't think I've made one post in the Political Forums (Doctor Q, you amazing statistician, could probably prove or disprove me ;)) and I really have no desire to.
It doesn't take Doctor Q to figure that one out. Although some of them might have been moved there after you posted. Even I've made 6 posts in it somehow.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
wrc fan said:
It doesn't take Doctor Q to figure that one out. Although some of them might have been moved there after you posted. Even I've made 6 posts in it somehow.
Ah, thanks for that! I guess I was too lazy to do the search myself... ;)

Yah, I think those were probably moved there after being initially posted in News/Community threads or something. As Mad Dawg says, many times a discussion gets too heated, etc. and gets relegated to the Political Forums...

highres

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 1, 2005
Near the Singularity
~Shard~ said:
As Mad Dawg says, many times a discussion gets too heated, etc. and gets relegated to the Political Forums...
So does that mean that the Political Forum is the last stop before the Wasteland which seems to be the final destination for all doomed threads? :D

MacDawg

macrumors Core
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
highres said:
So does that mean that the Political Forum is the last stop before the Wasteland which seems to be the final destination for all doomed threads? :D
Consider it sort of a Purgatory... one last chance to get your act together before you take the plunge! :p

Woof, Woof - Dawg

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
Whelp, I never post in the R/P forums, I only ventured there once or twice in a LONG while, but a search told me I got a few posts in there. Damn mods! ;)

mac 2005

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2005
Chicago
Sun Baked said:
That seems like quite an unfair assumption, don't you think? The point was objectively made, and the person's subsequent posts reflect a reasonable demeanor.

Personally, I have no interest in the political threads, but Macrumors is a community. And while the Mac is the focal point, it stands to reason that members might want to branch out and discuss other areas.

And while many people cannot rationally discuss politics and religion, many people remain objective, contribute to a productive dialogue and learn from the interaction.