Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mattibek

macrumors member
Feb 16, 2007
Lexington, KY
Yeah my powerbook is similar. Although I haven't tried it myself I recommend the little clear plastic stick on covers for ipod and cell phones. I have one on my ipod and my scroll wheel works fine through it in fact. Also try cleaning it with a anti static fluid to remove any oil buildup.

Aniej

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2006
I have the same problem as the OP, but with one of my powerbooks. Believe it or not, it does start to hurt after a while as the OP said. I also find the touch of the metal on my powerbook begins to hurt or just gnaw on my hands after successive hours of use.

R.R.Mac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 16, 2006
Guildford, England
ok thanks to the person whe recogmended putting selotape over the trackpad. It feels absolutally horrible and leaves a sticky mark straight over the trackpad when I took it off:mad: :mad: :mad: . Does anyone else have any ideas? really i need help.

P.s. buying a new laptop or mouse is out of the question.

MalcolmJID

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2005
England
ok thanks to the person whe recogmended putting selotape over the trackpad. It feels absolutally horrible and leaves a sticky mark straight over the trackpad when I took it off:mad: :mad: :mad: . Does anyone else have any ideas? really i need help.

P.s. buying a new laptop or mouse is out of the question.

Have you rang Apple to enquire about a trackpad replacement?

Mpulsive81

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2006
McKinney, TX
I am trying the selotape and its quite good actually, feels a bit weird and when you overlap it is very odd but overall its quite good, not good as new but good enough:) . Thanks

ok thanks to the person whe recogmended putting selotape over the trackpad. It feels absolutally horrible and leaves a sticky mark straight over the trackpad when I took it off:mad: :mad: :mad:

Tape tends to leave a sticky residue. You might want to try goof-off or goo-gone to take it off. Or if you're worried about chemicals, try Mr. Clean's magic eraser.

My only question is why you would give good feedback on a suggestion & thank him one minute and then bash it the next. Did something go wrong afterwards?

R.R.Mac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 16, 2006
Guildford, England
Yes it seems good but it is very unresponsive and after a couple of hours of use the selotape sticky bit melts and the selotape falls off and i am left with a sticky goo on trackpa. You ahve to keep replacing the selotape and the trackpad is now absolutally horrible (worse than before:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: ) i have got most of it off but does anyone else have any suggestions?

masse

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2007
MA/GA
Goo gone eats some plastics. I tried it to get sticker residue off of my mousepad and it ate through it. Be careful with it.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
^^ it still seems weird to me that there was a big responsiveness difference once it got shiny for y'all, Cassie.... :( I feel like mine is as good or better (functionally) shiny as it was rough.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.