Political Science paper topic

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by carjakester, Jan 28, 2014.

1. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

So i took a Political science class and we have to write a 9 page paper.. Its hard to write about something like the Israelis and Palestinian authority when you have no idea whats going on or even remotely interested. Is there any topics Apple or technology related that you guys could think of?Preferably topics with two clear sides and a lot of articles about it. thank you! any ideas are greatly appreciated.

2. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

How about discussing this with your professor?

3. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Google it. What I find hard about a 9 page paper would be to avoid the temptation to plagiarize. You may end up looking at a lot of historical source info and you'll have to remember to put it into your own words, of course I guess you know that... :)

4. lunaoso macrumors 65816

lunaoso

What about something on the use of Google Glass or other wearable tech in public?

5. WoodNUFC macrumors 6502a

WoodNUFC

If you want to be golden, name drop Foucault.

e.g. You could talk about NSA spying and power/knowledge.

I'm pretty sure you could milk that for more than 9 pages.

6. koa macrumors 6502

Politics in movies is always an easy one to write. Everyone likes movies and have an opinion.

I had a friend who was a PS prof and even taught a class about movies.

7. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Might I ask why you are studying political science if you 'are not remotely interested' in the subject? And why, with all of the news stories, intelligent (as well as moronic) coverage, have you 'no idea what's going on'? Seriously? Why not attempt to inform yourself, just a little about the practice of power in the big, wide, and often very unfair world around you?

At third level, precisely because courses tend to be electives or are somewhat optional one likes to assume a degree of interest, a vague sort of intellectual curiosity, about what is happening in the world (and why it is happening in this way rather than differently) from a student who has elected to take such a course. Why bother taking it otherwise?

For what it is worth, I used to teach politics and history at university for the best part of 20 years. Lack of knowledge is something I was very forgiving about; after all, it was my part of my job to try to remedy that, teach the students how to interrogate material, sources, data, and how to ask questions of history and politics, to encourage them to want to learn, and read, and think.

To be quite candid, I would be a lot less forgiving of a student who was not 'remotely interested', had 'no idea', and not the slightest interest in asking anything of his world other than requesting others to help him to conceive of something that might tickle his jaded palate and give him some pointers towards writing it.

Intellectual laziness and a lack of intellectual curiosity on the part of a student who is studying at university is utterly unforgivable.

Nine pages? Wow. How intellectually taxing, and utterly exhausting.

As a student of politics, are you seriously suggesting that you are unable to come up with anything at all concerning that fascinating intersection where power, access to, and control of, information, and access to and control of technology all meet, merge, and occasionally, contend with one another?

8. LadyX macrumors 68020

LadyX

I've taken a couple of courses related to Politics as I'm currently majoring in International Studies. I'm assuming you're taking this course as an elective? Obviously you're going to need to read and do some research.

I don't think writing about Apple is a good Political Science topic. Political Science deals with governments, countries, policies, etc. and covers a wide variety of subject areas so you're going to have to narrow down your topic as much as possible or else you're going to end up with a lot of information that you'll find hard to include in your paper.

I can't tell you what topic to write about. But I can give you some suggestions. There's media and it's impact/effect on political campaigns and elections. You can write about Brown v. Board of Education; this is a case dating back to 1954 and is often recognised as one of the greatest Supreme Court decisions of the 20th century. Child soldiering (mostly in Africa) is another topic and one that I wrote about in one of my courses. Politics of inequality, or you can also write about any of the political parties or movements (eg. Pan Africanism), or you can choose a public policy to write about.

9. kupkakez macrumors 68000

kupkakez

Typically part of writing a paper is doing the research beforehand. I suggest picking a topic researching it and start forming your outline. You need to start thinking for yourself instead of relying on others for help. College isn't going to get easier. :rolleyes:

10. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I know, right? Your average post is 9 pages. :D

11. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

How are we supposed to know what interests you, or what you have an idea about what's going on? :confused:

12. carjakester thread starter macrumors 68020

carjakester

im not studying political science, I'm at a community college getting general education classes done and this class was suggested by my admissions counselor at the university I'm planning on transferring to. Im sorry I'm not as interested in the subject as you are, I'm just trying to pass. Thanks for the lecture though

----------

for everyone who is thinking i am lazy, or don't want to do the paper is wrong. it is due late april and i want to find a topic that i am interested so that i can start my research and begin my paper.

13. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Dude, he's studying politics - intellectual laziness is a key trait of any good politician.

Yeah, but he's cheating. It would only be 8 if he didn't use that font ;)

14. LadyX macrumors 68020

LadyX

Political Science paper topic

What are you interested in (besides Apple and technology)? Did you take a look at my suggested topics? Didn't you find any of interest to you?

15. ejb190 macrumors 65816

ejb190

Yah, admissions counselors don't always have the student's best interest at heart. I always tell college students to protect your electives and take only things that interest you. I studied Horticulture and had an English elective so I took Science Fiction Literature instead of Shakespeare or Romantic Poetry or something like that. Best. Class. EVER!

Glad you are starting early. We all know that time can get away from you with something like this. And choosing the topic is the hardest part.

Here's a question for you. Do companies like Apple and Google work strictly on a profit motive or are some of their actions political? Why are Apple's data centers where they are? Why is the Mac Pro assembled in Texas? What kind of political pressure can the government put on Apple, Google, Verizon, AT&T and the such to force their cooperation with the NSA? Or can the NSA end-run around them and get what they want anyway? Are government contracts really profitable or are companies enticed to work with the government in other ways? Will a corporation ever give up profits for "patriotic duty"? What about the effectiveness of technology embargos on emerging markets?

If you start digging into one subject, you might find a good diversion that interests you even more. But you need to get started on something for that to work.

16. monokakata macrumors 68000

monokakata

Another interesting possibility -- though it spills over to economics fairly quickly -- would be to look at the ways that governments (all the way from city/county up to state) attempt to lure corporations into their territories with tax breaks.

The reason this could be interesting -- from a political science point of view -- is that sometimes the "come here and we'll give you something" entities are elected, sometimes they're not, sometimes they are actual governmental entities and sometimes quasi-governmental ("Development Authorities" and groups like that).

If you want to look at Apple, you could see what's out there about the Texas manufacturing facility. Why Texas? Why Austin? What was the buzz in Austin as the whole thing unfolded? Were loud public promises of economic heaven made, and if so by whom? Was there opposition? Can you follow the chain of offers and approvals? Did anybody vote on this? And so on. There ought to be a lot there to look at, unless it was all done semi-secretly . . . in which case that's another thing worth exploring.

And with this sort of thing, just to keep it interesting, you can explore corruption, media, citizen participation, and a whole lot of other stuff. I wouldn't expect Apple to be paying people off, but there are various kinds of revolving doors . . . . So you could look into that and, as everybody who's done real research in the real world knows, negative results can be interesting and useful also.

As others have said, just pick a case and start reading and reading about it -- use as wide a variety of sources as you can -- and sooner or later something that seems interesting or puzzling to you will jump out. Then focus on that.

17. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Now if you could flesh that out a bit, say to 9 pages, OP can copy/paste/submit a sort of meta-paper on the trials and tribulations of the average uninterested Political Science student!:rolleyes:

18. Mousse, Jan 29, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2014

Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

You can talk about the life cycle of a government, the US Gub'ment for example:

*First they (the Limeys) ignore you (Colonials)
    *Then they laugh at you (Stamp tax, Tea tax, "No taxation without representation? LOL")
    *Then they fight you ('Murican Revolution)
    *Then you win ('Murica, hail yeah!)
    *Then you (the Gub'ment) ignore them (the People)

Hey, we're at the end of the US Gub'ment life cycle.