Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Apple Watch 2 retail release for September, Xmas or 2017?

• September

• Xmas

• Meh.... 2017

Results are only viewable after voting.

JohnApples

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2014
I'm debating digging up an old thread from last fall where I predicted that there would be a 1.5-2 year gap before the AW2, and a couple of people flat out told me I was wrong and that there would be an AW2 in spring 2016.

Reactions: pulp46

exxxviii

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2015
With the improvements they've made to fitness and performance with watchOS 3, I reckon these were designed with an AW2 in mind, probably to come out with the software upgrade in September.
Apple's problem is not the hardware. From an internal technology perspective, the AW probably already far exceeds anything else on the market today. About the only mainstream technologies it lacks are GPS and a barometric altimeter. The problem is crap-turd software (OS, apps, and the supporting mobile and web ecosystem). The Watch and Activity apps on the phone royally suck, and they will need a revamp for iOS 10. I wonder if Apple has any plans to enter the current millennia and build a web site like the entire rest of the whole fitness and activity universe?

The sharing and social features are key, because Fitbit is eating Apple's lunch in the activity space. But, Apple will still be hamstring the if other tools have no way to push data into the iPhone Activity and Watch Activity apps. Until Apple grows up and builds bi-directional activity and fitness data movement between Watch↔PhoneApp↔WebApp, then it will be a 2nd tier activity tracker and a fitness poseur.

Here is my personal case study... we took a family vacation with a lot of walking activity. Several of us have Apple watches, and we all have Fitbits. We used our Fitbits, because they do the best job of tracking activity and showing each of us and others what we were up to. My AW also captured everything, but it is impossible to get a good picture of my activity from any easy UI.

Last edited:

pulp46

macrumors member
Original poster
May 10, 2016
Holy crap, more than 50% of you say AW2 will be in 2017 and I only put that option up there because polls need 3 options. LOL I thought Xmas by the latest.... interesting!

Reactions: BrodieApple

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
September is the start of the Xmas season. If Apple doesn't launch a new AW in Sep/Oct then it's not launching one this year. Frankly, if Apple doesn't launch an update this year it's going to lose whatever inroads it's made in the category. WatchOS 3 is a needed tweak for the existing watch, but it doesn't, can't, resolve its missing elements like GPS or being totally independent of the iPhone.

pulp46

macrumors member
Original poster
May 10, 2016
September is the start of the Xmas season. If Apple doesn't launch a new AW in Sep/Oct then it's not launching one this year. Frankly, if Apple doesn't launch an update this year it's going to lose whatever inroads it's made in the category. WatchOS 3 is a needed tweak for the existing watch, but it doesn't, can't, resolve its missing elements like GPS or being totally independent of the iPhone.

Chupa, you think there is enough time left to make millions of AW2 by October?

exxxviii

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2015
Is enough time left to make millions of AW2 by October?
I think that the manufacturing capacity for the current gen AW has been well above 1M units/month since May of 2015. It will probably be similar (and on time) for the AW 2.

pulp46

macrumors member
Original poster
May 10, 2016
Apple Watch 2 will be released alongside iPhone 7 in September, what an expensive month it'll be.

There is hope it won't be, polls here are 3 for 3 and my poll above still shows a 2017 release! :D

pulp46

macrumors member
Original poster
May 10, 2016
Yup, Apple can produce 2 million watches a month. No reason she couldn't launch in Fall or closer to Xmas rush.

Reactions: Newtons Apple
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.