POLL: Are you a secret nerd or an open nerd.

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by acearchie, Jun 3, 2009.

?

Which Are You?

1. Open Nerd

106 vote(s)
    69.7%
  2. Secret Nerd

46 vote(s)
    30.3%
  1. acearchie macrumors 68040

acearchie

Now, first of all I am not assuming anyone is a "nerd" but I will be the first to admit that I am one.

If you need a definition there isn't really one however I define my self as a nerd as I am 17 yet use both final cut express and after effects whereas nobody else in my school does. I actually understand what is in my computer unlike 95% of my friends and I am probably the only person who maxes out my computer at school. (But thats not very hard running FCE on a 12" Powerbook!)

But I am an open nerd. I dont mind I think it is a good thing. Sure there is the odd joke but when I made some videos with some of my friends and we showed them to around 200 pupils people where really appreciative and thought it was really good!

But I can understand situations where you would maybe not want everyone to know your macrumors side of life!

So what are you?!

Open or Secret?

2. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

I am an open nerd only because everybody knows that I'm a computer programmer. If it wasn't for my job, I don't think that most people would know.

3. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

Openly geeky (there's a difference). Although maybe I am a nerd because I think my geek tendencies are rather cool. :cool: *snort* :D

Anyway, I think it's pretty well out that the husband and I are geeks. We've got a very respectable amount of geek gear between us.

4. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

People know that I'm somewhat geeky but very few people know exactly how geeky I am... *starts organizing WWDC party*

EDIT: Like iBlue, I think my geekiness is very cool, people just don't get it... :p

5. barr08 macrumors 65816

barr08

Geek is the new posh, if you know how to use it.

Can anyone tell me how to use it? Please?

6. iPhoneNYC macrumors 6502a

iPhoneNYC

Yes, I'm very open about my need-ness but I don't think friends know how deep it can go...

7. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

How deep do you need it?

8. Queso macrumors G4

People sometimes ask me if I'm a nerd or geek as an insult. They get quite taken aback when I just laugh and say "Of course I'm a nerd. And?"

Nerds and geeks rule the world :cool:

9. P-Worm macrumors 68020

P-Worm

I'm not a nerd

P-Worm

Attached Files:

10. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

I'd say as far as the relatively fluid definitions go, I'm more geek than nerd. Whichever it is, it's undoubtedly as open as my zipper was the other day.

11. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Nerdiness or geekiness is relative. To some of my friends and family, I'm a nerd. However, compared to most here, I'm a n00b... unless it comes to wrangling some bits and pieces in the Design and Graphics forum and maybe a couple of other things.

I also possess secretly nerdy tendencies about things I would never write about on MacRumors because there's always someone who knows better and can teach me a lot. Thank you to all the nerds who provide reading material for me. I bow before your open nerdiness. :)

12. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

Pics or it didn't happen :p

13. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

The first reaction on discovering this - especially after standing up on a train for half an hour - is NOT to fumble for the iPhone, thank you very much :p

14. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

I'm openly geekly, but a secret lemonade drinker.

15. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

Fair enough. :D

16. thunderweb macrumors 6502

thunderweb

17. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

Or maybe this is a sign of not being a geek.

*Descends into overthinkification*

18. cheesecake diva macrumors newbie

It's difficult to say, but I am probably more openly nerdy than not. My current high school is all about OMG Sports, Cheerleading, pretty much the opposite of nerdy. So, when I'm at school, generally I am not as nerdy as when I am out with other friends. Still, a school person will recognize me playing DDR at the arcade and immediately see my nerdiness :p. I'm entering college next year and I hope to meet some friends xp.

19. Melrose macrumors 604

Melrose

I prefer to think of myself as possessing all good nerdly qualities but none of the geekery.

If I had to choose one: No. Not a nerd.

20. iSneaker macrumors newbie

Well.. I think i'm a nerd.. But I never use that word. I'm a cool nerd I guess. Because I don't look nerdy..:D

21. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

Wide open. I'm the poster child for geeks/nerds. I tried to deny it for years, and I even got a totally non-tech B.A. degree. I said the whole computer thing was only a hobby. I mean, the signs were there all along. I played computer games and Pen and Paper RPGs. I loved Monty Python and Douglas Adams, and Sci Fi. Oddly enough, I never got into comics.

Finally, about 10 years ago, I finally decided to stop denying who I am and turned my hobby into a career. IT pays better than most jobs I had with a history degree. :) Since then, I have focused more on the technical side of things, but I still dabble in the other stuff.

One side of me is not the typical nerd. I love sports, especially football and baseball. I guess that does kind of counter some of the total nerd stuff. Oh yeah, and I actually bathe frequently. :)

22. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

I'd say I know more about computers than most of my friends....however I don't see myself as a nerd or a geek at all. I stick around here mostly for the atmosphere and the good vibes of the forum, I was way more into computers and stuff when I registered than I am now.

Somewhere around Junior year of high school I think I had a kind of subconscious/unintentional shift where started to hang around with a different—less geeky—crowd and girls started to become quite a bit more interesting than hard drives. Come to think of it right now I might be the kind of guy that nerds love to hate....but nobody here has to know that ;)

23. barkomatic macrumors 68040

I would say that a nerd or geek that has social skills and dresses well automatically becomes a "hipster". Hipsters may also have an impressive understanding of technology but in addition know how to easily pick people up in the bar and can be quite attractive. Anyway, I just pulled that from my arse.

24. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I am a closet geek. Not a nerd. I like gadgets.

25. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

I work at CERN, is it even possible to be a secret nerd there?