Poll: Are you buying a Macbook Air or will WAIT for MacBook Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by joemarioz, Jan 20, 2008.

1. joemarioz macrumors member

joemarioz

I´m Making this poll because Im undecided, I mean I have the money for both but Should we all wait for MacBook Pro?:apple:

2. Calsef macrumors newbie

Wait.

I'm waiting. But not because I can't decide. The MBA just doesn't fit with what I would use a notebook for. I'm waiting because I dont want to buy the MBP and have it updated soon.

Poor me.

3. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

we did this already, and there is no comparison they are two completely different machines why do you even need to make a decision?

one is a two year old macbook stuck in a thinner case, and the other is the fastest laptop on the market...what are you using it for, that makes your decision for you

4. aosman macrumors 6502

there are many threads like this one. Many people are waiting for a new pro laptop. That might be the better idea.

5. sal macrumors 6502

macbook pro and macbook air, are intended for completely different users. For those macbook pro users, who will use their laptops for production(audio/video), the macbook air is for the most part useless.

At the same time, those wanting portability and don't intend to do any serious production work, the macbook pro is overkill and they are better off with the macbook air.

I think a fairer comparison should be between the macbook and the macbook air. If I was in the market for a macbook, the macbook air might spark my interest.

6. CaptainCaveMann macrumors 68000

CaptainCaveMann

Try putting a poll up there.

Anyway, I'm waiting for the new MBP! :cool:

7. ahaxton macrumors 6502a

Although the MBA is an ultraportable MBP, if someone wants a MBP they probably will go MBP, if someone wants a MBA, they are going to get that.

Before the MacBook Air came out I was planning on replacing my laptop with a MBP. I think with the launch of the MBA, the people originally planning on getting a MBP was split up. Now some are going for the MBA like me. The launch of the MBA is not going to change everyones mind who originally intended on getting a MBP. Some are getting it as an intensive desktop replacement for the whole family to use. Good poll idea just to see if the MBA changed anyones mind about going MBP like me. Though it doesn't decide anything.

8. heatmiser macrumors 68020

Whoa--the MBA is an ultraportable Macbook, not pro. The only things it has in common with the Pro are the aluminum shell, the backlit keyboard (which itself is grounded in Macbook architecture), and the LED screen (which is simply an updated version of the Macbook's 13" screen). It's quite firmly a consumer notebook; let's not call it a UP MBP just because it's aluminum.

9. ahaxton macrumors 6502a

Its an Ultraportable MBP in Apple's eyes (I said it before that sure on the surface specs wise its ultraportable mac) obviously and intended for the crowds that would buy a MBP if there was no MBA.

You can't deny that. If there was no MBA, I would have bought a MBP.

10. heatmiser macrumors 68020

That's not true at all. The defining difference between a consumer and pro-line notebook in Apple has always been the graphics card. Which type of graphics card does the Macbook Air have? Integrated, or independent? There's your answer.

If you'd bought the MBP, you'd have had a pro-line notebook. You bought the MBA, which means you bought a consumer-line notebook. See above.

11. ahaxton macrumors 6502a

I think what your saying was true at one point. I think things have changed in Apple's minds since the iPhone came out.

12. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

buy both

problem solved

13. ahaxton macrumors 6502a

I was thinking about that to serve both my needs and the house needs.
    I think though I might as well get an imac since apple has given me the MBA now.

14. heatmiser macrumors 68020

This has nothing to do with the iPhone; the iPhone isn't a laptop. With Apple, a pro laptop has a discrete graphics card. A consumer laptop doesn't. The Macbook Air does not have a discrete graphics card. I have nothing against the Air, but to compare it to the Macbook Pro is just denying reality. It isn't an ultraportable Macbook Pro any more than the 12" iBook was an ultraportable Powerbook.

15. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

there! yes! that is a great idea, if you dont mind paying an extra 800 dollars simply for the slightly thinner case, and lower specs, this is the perfect way to go if you dont need a high powered notebook

16. Ryuukumori macrumors 6502

Definitely waiting.

I really find no need for the MBA, so MBP is for me (games, music production, and some video editing).

17. ahaxton macrumors 6502a

When I am talking about the iPhone, I mean Apple's way of looking at things.
    I am talking about sales and sales alone. What percentage of us were actually thinking of buying a MacBook, those that are buying the MBA?

Now I have no need to get a MBP. I can get an imac for the house and my MBA for portability. I am in the larger piece of the pie. Those who can get a MBP for all uses is a much smaller market.

18. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

and that relates to iphone sales how?

19. ahaxton macrumors 6502a

Just my personal opinion on Apple's vision. The iPhone had less features than competitors, yet is a huge success. In other words, it doesn't have to make geek sense to make real sense.

20. CaptainCaveMann macrumors 68000

CaptainCaveMann

Dude put a poll in this thread. Seriously this is annoying. :mad:

21. ahaxton macrumors 6502a

Sorry lol

22. SpaceCactus macrumors newbie

I'm waiting. I need a portable, desktop replacement and MBP is it.

23. Catch macrumors 6502

If you are even remotely considering the MBA, why did you need the MBP in the first place?

To the person suggesting to get both. The MBA and the 17" MBP would be a stunning combination in portability. All on an amazing platform; OSX :).

Regards,

C

24. ahaxton macrumors 6502a

Because the MB is not as sleek as the MBP, no aluminum casing. LED backlight, illuminated keyboard. From trying both out, also MBP felt more comfortable to use.

Now with the MBA though, its given me all that plus more. Now I can just have an imac as the 24/7 home computer.