Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Are you buying an iPad Pro?

• Total voters

nbourbaki

macrumors regular
Apr 19, 2015
CVG, CPH, BOS
To be honest, I don't know. They ARE very expensive. And in some ways a bit boring. The pen is cool, and the speakers, but that lightning cable is sooo yesterday. They should have pulled all stops. Now, it may be too late if these don't sell.

Just my 2

I couldn't agree more. Great processor, fast storage and memory and subpar USB 2.0 based lightning port. I'll wait for a version that can take advantage of that fast storage speed and hopefully 3d touch. It could have been great with USB3.0 and target display mode and 3d touch, but they need some obvious upgrades for version 2.

mojo522

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2009
Selling my iPad Air and iMac. In addition to the iPad capabilities, I will be using the iPad pro as a second monitor for my macbook using Duet.

itbeme

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2011
I think so. Don't need this to "replace" a PC...I have one already. The way I see it you rent this stuff in the end. You buy it and it depreciates. No sense in "waiting for the 2nx, 3rd gen, I'll go 1st gen and trade up to the next gen, etc. Take the difference between buy price and trade in and divide by months (let's say 24). Let's say the hit is $400. To me I'm in the game from day one for about $16/month and so on. Why not ?

Perfect for me as my job has me doing lots of Visio type work, schemes etc. Apps will improve, so will IOS. Personally I hope the never try to create another Surface or similar. Develop the iPad platform and evolve it, and we evolve with it. I'll always have a laptop anyway...why would I need two ?

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
Nope, not buying the iPad Pro. It falls a bit short of what I'm looking for in tablet that goes beyond the regular iPad, so I'm waiting to see what comes about for the 2nd or 3rd gen.

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
Yea definitely buying, I've been waiting for this for ages, a bigger screen iPad that's more powerful plus the added bonus of the Apple Pencil. Adobe have updated some of their apps already for comparability, I think when more apps come out that are desktop class for the iPad Pro it will get even better.

jazz1

Contributor
Aug 19, 2002
Mid-West USA
I'm buying, but I'm wondering if I can live without the iPad Air's size under some circumstances? I guess I'll live with the iPad Pro for awhile and figure out if I'm keeping the iPad Air 2. Probably pass it down to my kid if I can. I wish Apple had upgraded the iPad Air2 at the same time. But I suppose that will happen sometime after the launch of the iPad Pro. I know there are other threads on that question.

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
I thought it was pretty cool watching the presentation but I immediately knew it wasn't for me. Just about then my wife walked in saw 30 seconds of it and said, "That's on my Christmas list by the way"

Funny thing was as soon as I saw it I knew it would be her thing, she is so an iPad type and loves working on it.

neutrino23

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2003
SF Bay area
Not before I play with one in stores

This was my thought as well. On the other hand, we can buy it day one and return it within a short time (two weeks?) for a full refund. On the third hand, I'm always a little nervous about getting the some of the very first builds. On the fourth hand if I get Applecare then Apple will take care of any problems that arise.

Loismustdie1

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2015
I was dead set on buying the iPad Pro on day one, and then I saw Microsoft's presentation and I changed my mind. I'm not convinced in the surface book to buy it however, it did make me put on pause my plans to buy an iPad Pro. The Microsoft surface book is just so much more capable for my needs. I'm going to wait until generation to before I decide to buy an iPad pro. I just upgraded my iPad mini 3 to an iPad air two, and I'm loving everything about it. So as long as iOS 10 doesn't slow down my iPad the way iOS 9 did my mini, I'm good with my purchase.

sonicrobby

macrumors 68020
Apr 24, 2013
New Orleans
This was my thought as well. On the other hand, we can buy it day one and return it within a short time (two weeks?) for a full refund. On the third hand, I'm always a little nervous about getting the some of the very first builds. On the fourth hand if I get Applecare then Apple will take care of any problems that arise.
I've never actually returned anything, but you don't get the tax back, right? Or do you?

Appl3FTW

macrumors 603
Nov 15, 2012
Pass.... I want to upgrade my mini2 to mini4 but can't really because I don't want it that much. I'm considering getting the Air 3 next year unless they blow our mind with the mini 5, all new form factor... Hmmmm.

biosci

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2010
Chicagoland, IL
I'll get the Pencil (for illustration) but not the Smart Keyboard. I'm really intrigued by Logitech's CREATE keyboard, designed for the Pro. The product page says they worked with Apple to make it, it takes advantage of the Smart Connector for instant connection, and it never needs pairing or charging. And then it says: "Shhh. We can’t say more right now. But we can say CREATE will make more possible with your iPad Pro. From day one."

I hate reading too much into things but that, along with the tongue-in-cheek secrecy, sounds as if the CREATE will add functionality--above and beyond a keyboard--that the Pro doesn't have. I will wait and see.

The CREATE will do more?! As long as it's more than any other keyboard it would be interesting but what more can it possibly do?!

Yourbigpalal83

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2015
I'm getting it to draw on. Again i know the wacom products are industry standard, problem is i don't have almost 4k to get that 27inch one with the optional stand! for a little over 1k, i can get an iPad pro 128gig, the pencil, and have a fully loaded top of the line iPad for when I'm not going to draw on it!

Now if i could afford both, you bet your ass id have both as I've been dying to get into digital artwork for almost a decade now, and this is the first device that i can realistically draw on the screen with, not have it laggy, be able to actually tilt the pencil to shade with, that is within a reasonable and realistic price range.

That said if it wasn't for the drawing aspect, i wouldn't purchase it and just stick with a standard 9.7 inch screen as i believe the majority of people will.

Reactions: sfwalter and ksb315

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
I want the pro but it's just too expensive. If I had to get an iPad now it would be the iPad Mini 4 because of the form factor (reading mostly). But my iPad Mini 2 is working just fine and I think I'll be keeping it for a few more years.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
iPad Prosumer is more of a 3rd choice at this point. Probably going to go with Surface Pro 4 but would've preferred SAMOLED display and 8GB DRAM with the fanless Core M3-6Y30. As far as iPads the iPad Prosumer is the only viable choice if I ever upgrade the iPad 2 as the others are flawed in some ways.

TheRealCBONE

macrumors regular
Nov 26, 2012
I'm going to pass on getting one new. It's bigger and faster supposedly but apps on it will look the same as on the air 2 aside from being bigger. Apps will run the same. I expect benchmarks to be super fast compared to the air 2 and that performance boost won't be reflected in day to day use. Apps and games won't use higher quality assets or anything and won't run at a higher framerate. I don't draw so I don't care about the stylus and I have a sp3 for my document markup and productivity needs anyway. I feel certain that best buy will have a bunch of open box ipad pros within a month of devices shipping. I might revisit then.

Centris 650

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2002
Near Charleston, SC
Just sold my 64gb iPad Air and my wife's 16gb cellular iPad Air 1 to go to the purchase of the iPad pro. Planning on getting the apple pencil as well. I can't wait to start drawing on that sucker.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.