Poll: Did you encounter a problem during/after jailbreaking your 3G?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rannddeee, Nov 5, 2008.

?

Problems during/after jailbreak?

1. Totally BRICKED my phone

7 vote(s)
    12.1%
  2. Had some minor problems but were solved easily

13 vote(s)
    22.4%
  3. No problems at all

38 vote(s)
    65.5%
  1. rannddeee macrumors regular

I want to Jailbreak my 3G but I want to know how many people have had problems with their phone during and after jailbreak.

2. bigmouth macrumors 6502

No problems here. In fact, it went so successfully that I'm in the process of jailbreaking my old ipod touch, as well.

3. rannddeee thread starter macrumors regular

4. bigmouth macrumors 6502

About ten minutes. The iTouch just finished.

5. jlake02 macrumors 68020

jlake02

I'm considering it too. Really don't want to, but I'm angry with Apple about their obvious lack of concern about features we want.

6. eplchamps0304 macrumors 6502a

eplchamps0304

Done it, undone it and done it again. No problems at all.

7. bigmouth macrumors 6502

I never seriously considered jailbreaking until I realized I could run background processes. I can't tell you what a difference it makes not to have to interrupt an audio stream just because I want to do something else on the phone.

8. rannddeee thread starter macrumors regular

Is there a special way to update firmware when jailbroken? I'm trying to find out as much as I can before I go to the darkside.

9. bigmouth macrumors 6502

I haven't gone through this process, but I don't believe so. My understanding is, you restore before updating firmware so your phone is like it was out of the box. After updating, you have to jailbreak again. Here's a decent guide that answered most of my questions. [EDIT: Wrong link]

http://www.hackthatphone.com/20/quickpwn_1_1_3G_iphone.html

The jailbreak process is slightly different than what's described, at least on Windows, but I still found the guide invaluable.

10. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

Done it, undone it, done it, undone it, and done it again. :D

11. Airforcekid macrumors 65816

Airforcekid

my phone was bricked Even after restore had to buy a new one. Don't do it!

12. bigmouth macrumors 6502

D'oh! I have to admit, I was willing to risk it because I could afford a new one if something went wrong.

PS: Did you use QuickPWN? Also, what version of iPhone firmware were you using when your phone was bricked?

13. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

I thought you couldn't brick it...

14. rannddeee thread starter macrumors regular

I can afford to buy a new one, but I don't want to have to fork over a few hundred dollars just because I bricked one.

15. cWeems macrumors 6502a

cWeems

slowed down a bit thats all.

ive never heard of someones getting bricked, can always restore to factory in DFU mode.

16. Opie macrumors 6502a

Opie

I did mine without a hitch. Now my wifes phone gave me trouble but third time it worked like a charm.

17. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

Exactly.

18. PowerFullMac macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

Its impossible to permanently damage the iPhone from jailbreaking. If something goes wrong, put it in DFU mode, restore and try again.

19. bigmouth macrumors 6502

Well, airforcekid and at least one other person who took the poll managed to do so, so I'm not sure you can dismiss the possibility, even if it's improbable.

20. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    I *HATE* these kinds of polls!!! You know the one where I want to see the results but none of the options apply to me.

Did you ever think that maybe someone who hasn't jailbroken their phone might want to see the results? Some appropriate N/A category would have been great. Now I can either not know, or vote and skew your results!! so much for getting accurate results.. :D

21. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

Like alluded to above, there's no reason to have "Bricked my phone" as an option- it's impossible to Brick your phone. I don't know how 3 people could have checked "Yes." They must be part of the right-wing anti-jailbreak movement that hates freedom.

If you seriously manage to brick your iPhone trying to jailbreak, you should go play the lottery. The odds are about the same, except you do have a better chance of winning one of those multi-state, billion dollar lotteries than bricking your phone.

Jailbreaking is just as easily done as it is un-done. Problems can definitely occur, but that's part of the fun. Troubleshooting and messing around until you get control of a device that was previously locked up as tight as a knot.

22. rannddeee thread starter macrumors regular

I DID IT! I converted to the darkside and have jailbroken my phone. Now...what? Can anyone recommend any good/useful apps?

23. PowerFullMac macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

Have a look around installer and see if there is anything you like the look of... Almost everything is free so why the hell not? :p

24. DravenGSX macrumors 6502a

From Cydia:

OpenSSH
    Mobile Terminal
    WinterBoard
    NES Emulator
    CyCorder
    PDANet
    Categories
    Backgrounder

Those ought to keep you busy for quite some time.

25. bigmouth macrumors 6502

Could someone please explain why it's impossible to brick your phone when jailbreaking? People keep asserting this, but I'd love to see an actual explanation why it's the case (i.e., beyond simply the statement you can restore). Otherwise, I think it's pretty irresponsible to make such a claim when it's evidently been falsified.
    Woo hoo! Check out Backgrounder, BossPrefs, PDAnet, and Cycorder to start. Also the tutorial I linked above has some great recs with descriptions.